Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by kperk:

"I appreciate the blessings, really. And maybe you are the ONE working while the others while away the day. So get some rest old chap, you'll need it tomorrow.....Oh that's right, you work for the state. ANOTHER paid day off. Such horrific conditions!

--------------------------------------

Great! I'll be up late while you rest up for work. After all, I don't have to. You pay my salary. Work Hard! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by dbt123:
quote:

"I appreciate the blessings, really. And maybe you are the ONE working while the others while away the day. So get some rest old chap, you'll need it tomorrow.....Oh that's right, you work for the state. ANOTHER paid day off. Such horrific conditions!

--------------------------------------

Great! I'll be up late while you rest up for work. After all, I don't have to. You pay my salary. Work Hard! Wink

Yes and it would serve you government leaches well to remember that, lazyboy.
quote:
Originally posted by that smart chick:
When was the last time anyone on this board worked for minimum wage? Do you even know anyone who makes $5.25? I'm curious.

I think the only time I was paid minimum wage was when when I worked on a Federal Work Study while in college.

My first 'real' job, other than mowing my grandparents' yard during the summer in HS, was laying sod during the summer of my Junior/Senior year in HS, ca. 1978. I was paid $3/HR, cash. THAT was GOOD money for a 17 year old in 1978.

When I finished HS in 1979 and started college, I worked PT at the local pizzaria for a whopping $1.80/HR. I received ZERO tips during the 6 months I worked there. My first week's pay for 47 hours was $76. Roll Eyes ZERO 'over-time' was paid. When a 'work study' job opened on campus for $3/HR in January of 1980, I jumped at it and worked on campus about 100 hours/mo for the next 3 years. I went to summer school and got my B.S. in 3 years. Smiler

My first teaching job, ca. 1983, paid a whopping $9700/year. I brought home $776/mo. My most recent teaching job was for $43K/year (it took me 22 years to reach that 'lofty' level), with a Masters. That's STILL about $15K UNDER the regional average for the southeastern USA. During 4 of those years (daughter in college) (2000-2004), I worked a 2nd job as a police officer for a whopping $7/HR....and provided ALL of my own duty gear (vest, weapon, etc).

Where am I 'going' with this? Both my parents were teachers, as were my grandparents, various aunts, uncles, etc. I well remember my parents making $4K/year, apeice, ca. 1968, and having PLENTY of 'residual income' (remember those days, anyone?) to spend on family vacations, 3 autos, ski boat, etc.

So what 'happened'? Congress receives ITs 'cost of living' increase on a regular basis...why not the REST OF US?
quote:
quote:
quote:
Read my earlier post. I paid for my college education while I raised a pre-schooler as a single mother. I didn't get child support, welfare, or scholarships. I got 2 jobs. I got student loans and a Pell Grant (which isn't really squat).

Again I ask: Who among you even KNOWS anyone who makes minimum wage???

Why didn't you just sit on your behind and wait for someone to take care of you like the dimocrat bunch?

Because a) my daddy didn't give me a college education, but he did give me a good work ethic
and
b) Party affiliation does not make one smart, stupid, honest or a liar. I embrace ideas of the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and I have a few independent ideas of my own. The political party name calling on this board is disturbing.

All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. (Dr. Arbthnot)

I hope you realize I was throwing you a batting practice fastball to hit out of the park and I think you did.
quote:

Obviously, this woman has a very limited knowledge of economics! She is
almost as scary as Hillary.

Nancy Pelosi condemned the new record highs of the stock market as
"just
another example of Bush policies helping the rich get richer".

"First Bush cut taxes for the rich and the economy has rebounded with
new
record low unemployment rates, which only means wealthy employers are
getting even wealthier at the expense of the underpaid working class".

She went on to say "Despite the billions of dollars being spent in Iraq
our
economy is still strong and government tax revenues are at all time
highs.

"What this really means is" that business is exploiting the war effort
and
working Americans, just to put money in their own pockets".

When questioned about recent stock market highs she responded "Only the
rich
benefit from these record highs. Working Americans, welfare recipients,
the
unemployed and minorities are not sharing in these obscene record
highs".

"There is no question these windfall profits and income created by the
Bush
administration need to be taxed at 100% rate and those dollars
redistributed
to the poor and working class".

"Profits from the stock market do not reward the hard work of our
working
class who, by their hard work, are responsible for generating these
corporate profits that create stock market profits for the rich."

"We in congress will need to address this issue to either tax these
profits
or to control the stock market to prevent this unearned income to flow
to
the rich".

When asked about the fact that over 80% of all Americans have
investments in
mutual funds, retirement funds, 401k's, and the stock market, she
replied
"That may be true, but probably only 5% account for 90% of all these
investment dollars."

"That's just more 'trickle down' economics claiming that if a
corporation is
successful that everyone from the CEO to the floor sweeper benefit from
higher wages and job security which is ridiculous".

"How much of this "trickle down" ever get to the unemployed and
minorities
in our county? None, and that's the tragedy of these stock market
highs."

"We democrats are going to address this issue after the election when
we
take control of the congress.

We will return to the 60% to 80% tax rates on the rich and we will be
able
to take at least 30% of all current lower Federal Income Tax taxpayers
off
the roles and increase government income substantially."

"We need to work toward the goal of equalizing income in our country and
at
the same time limiting the amount the rich can invest."

When asked how these new tax dollars would be spent, she replied
"We
need to raise the standard of living of our poor, unemployed and
minorities.
"

"For example, we have an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in our
country who need our help along with millions of unemployed minorities.

Stock market windfall profits taxes could go a long ways to guarantee
these
people the standard of living they would like to have as"Americans"

A Bush spokesman responded to this interview by saying "Mrs. Pelosi has
set
a new standard for the spin business".

Feeling smarter yet?
quote:
Originally posted by dogsoldier0513:
quote:
When was the last time anyone on this board worked for minimum wage? Do you even know anyone who makes $5.25? I'm curious.

I think the only time I was paid minimum wage was when when I worked on a Federal Work Study while in college.

My first 'real' job, other than mowing my grandparents' yard during the summer in HS, was laying sod during the summer of my Junior/Senior year in HS, ca. 1978. I was paid $3/HR, cash. THAT was GOOD money for a 17 year old in 1978.

When I finished HS in 1979 and started college, I worked PT at the local pizzaria for a whopping $1.80/HR. I received ZERO tips during the 6 months I worked there. My first week's pay for 47 hours was $76. Roll Eyes ZERO 'over-time' was paid. When a 'work study' job opened on campus for $310/HR in January of 1980, I jumped at it and worked on campus about 100 hours/mo for the next 3 years. I went to summer school and got my B.S. in 3 years. Smiler

My first teaching job, ca. 1983, paid a whopping $9700/year. I brought home $776/mo. My most recent teaching job was for $43K/year (it took me 22 years to reach that 'lofty' level), with a Masters. That's STILL about $15K UNDER the regional average for the southeastern USA.

Where am I 'going' with this? Both my parents were teachers, as were my grandparents, various aunts, uncles, etc. I well remember my parents making $4K/year, apeice, ca. 1968, and having PLENTY of 'residual income' (remember those days, anyone?) to spend on family vacations, 3 autos, ski boat, etc.

So what 'happened'? Congress receives ITs 'cost of living' increase on a regular basis...why not the REST OF US?

Sounds like we are about the same age. I think what started up downhill was when we started paying people NOT TO WORK. We have and always will, have to spend money on national defense, infrastructure, education, etc. Where we are wasting the money is funding people to do nothing but get up in the morning and watch Opra and make another dependent. There are literally millions of people living this lifestyle and I for one, am sick of it. If you are like me, you have your own children to raise and it costs more everyday. Wouldn't it be nice to have that part of your check that goes to some lazy slobs, to spend on your OWN kids? The problem is, those lazy slobs vote and they are going to vote for the people who will let them be lazy and you can guess who that is. I grew up as a democrat but that party was hijacked radical leftists back in 1972 and no longer represents ANYTHING that I think is right. The Republicans are not much better but at least they let the working people of this country keep more of their hard-earned money to raise their own kids, not someone else's.
My goodness! Smells like somebody stepped in something here. I checked the bottoms of my shoes, can't be me.
What's with all this copying of everybody else's posts? Good grief! Make your point then stand down already! My old eyes can't stand all this senseless repetition, same old, same old. You all keep stroking eachother, forget the one upsmanship and make a point for goodness sake.
quote:
Originally posted by dbt123:
quote:

Harvard, I presume.
quote:
quote:
So what 'happened'?

What happened was you decided to teach in AL where the teachers are paid historically pitiful salaries.

I grew up in Alabama (Fayette county). My parents taught in Alabama at the time mentioned. I taught in Tennessee. My wife and I moved to the Shoals area last May to 'escape' her idiot ex. He violates FEDERAL law if he continues to stalk/harrass her by crossing state lines. THAT is 'why' we're here.
Quarlles, I couldn't agree more. Of course you can save time, eyesight and bloodpressure by using that wonderful tool known as the IGNORE button. Fortunately, most of these snot noses are on mine(just added one SMART GIRL, that even sounds California airhead) so I don't have to read what I know are insinduary posts by spoiled brats who have probably never had to do a hard days work in their life or in college living of Mommy and Daddy's dime. Wait till you hit the REAL WORLD kiddies, I think you may change your tune. THE DOG
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG 20/20:
Quarlles, I couldn't agree more. Of course you can save time, eyesight and bloodpressure by using that wonderful tool known as the IGNORE button. Fortunately, most of these snot noses are on mine(just added one SMART GIRL, that even sounds California airhead) so I don't have to read what I know are insinduary posts by spoiled brats who have probably never had to do a hard days work in their life or in college living of Mommy and Daddy's dime. Wait till you hit the REAL WORLD kiddies, I think you may change your tune. THE DOG

I may be on your ignore list too. Wink
I'm not young (retired), not spoiled (though I do like it when my wife makes me something to eat and hands me the remote Big Grin )not a college grad (highschool), and certainly not living off Mommy and Daddys dime (been self-supporting many years).
In the REAL WORLD I grew up in, raises were controlled by my boss and me, and were determined by my job performance my desire to work for him. IMO it's not the federal governments job to determine an employees' worth in the marketplace and force an employer to "do the right thing" and pay them accordingly.
Who should decide how much you pay your neighbors' kid to mow your yard? You or me ?

The government should butt out. JMHO
quote:
Originally posted by midknightrider:
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG 20/20:

I may be on your ignore list too. Wink
I'm not young (retired), not spoiled (though I do like it when my wife makes me something to eat and hands me the remote Big Grin )not a college grad (highschool), and certainly not living off Mommy and Daddys dime (been self-supporting many years).
In the REAL WORLD I grew up in, raises were controlled by my boss and me, and were determined by my job performance my desire to work for him. IMO it's not the federal governments job to determine an employees' worth in the marketplace and force an employer to "do the right thing" and pay them accordingly.
Who should decide how much you pay your neighbors' kid to mow your yard? You or me ?

The government should butt out. JMHO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.