Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence Black:
If i speed then I deserve a ticket and would not plead not guilty,I would pay my fine
If you drive 1 mile over the speed limit, whether you are ticketed or not, you are doing something illegal. It's not an issue of being ticketed. If you drive ANY speed over the speed limit, you are in violation. Period.

To quote you "It is against the law so OBEY THE LAW"
quote:
It doesn't matter if you are a responsible 14 year old and wearing a helmet,or if you have cancer,MS,any mobility issue,or if it i ok with the vast majority of your neighbors..It is against the law so OBEY THE LAW

In the immortable words of Sgt. Hulka... "Lighten up, Francis."
quote:
Originally posted by JOY4567:
quote:
If i speed then I deserve a ticket and would not plead not guilty,I would pay my fine
If you drive 1 mile over the speed limit, whether you are ticketed or not, you are doing something illegal. It's not an issue of being ticketed. If you drive ANY speed over the speed limit, you are in violation. Period.

To quote you "It is against the law so OBEY THE LAW"

I think it has to do with intent. If I drive too fast I don't mean to. If I commit an illegal act because I think I'm special that's different.
Any person that says they would never TRY to get out of a ticket, whether it is asking the cop for a warning, giving an "excuse" as to WHY you were speeding, asking a friend of a friend to get the ticket pulled or even going before the judge and asking for leniency is lying. You can't tell me that every time a cop pulls you over that you don't say SOMETHING to try and get out of whatever you were stopped for. Even if it is just a respectful "I'm sorry officer, I was speeding and I won't let it happen again" and the officer lets you out of the ticket. That is still a tactic to get out of a ticket when you broke the law.
quote:
Originally posted by Eastside:
Any person that says they would never TRY to get out of a ticket, whether it is asking the cop for a warning, giving an "excuse" as to WHY you were speeding, asking a friend of a friend to get the ticket pulled or even going before the judge and asking for leniency is lying. You can't tell me that every time a cop pulls you over that you don't say SOMETHING to try and get out of whatever you were stopped for. Even if it is just a respectful "I'm sorry officer, I was speeding and I won't let it happen again" and the officer lets you out of the ticket. That is still a tactic to get out of a ticket when you broke the law.

Speak for yourself. Last time I got a ticket it was from a MS trooper. I never said a word, just promptly complied with his instructions, signed the ticket and went on my way. The guy was a jerk and unprofessional in his approach and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction seeing me squirm.
On the Huntsville news serveral months ago, they told a news story about someone around Huntsville riding a golf cart on the street. A car came along & hit the cart I believe killing the cart driver. Bottom line is that a golf cart or 4 wheeler or the likes have no place on the street or road reserved for cars or truck. The law does not allow them on the street, so bottom line is she broke the law. What will be said next time if a car or trucks hits her. Who's fault will that be?
I was working in Marengo, Iowa this past summer and noticed that the townsfolk rode all manner of non licensable vehicles around town. Golf carts, lawnmowers etc. I don't know whether that is legal or not up there but I do know that it didn't seem to cause any great problem. The maximum speed in town was 25 mph. Very pleasant place with very friendly people.
I don't have a dog in this hunt but to me a golf cart on a public street is a heck of a lot easier to see than a bicycle, which is perfectly legal to operate on the roads/highways other than interstates and maybe some other restricted major highways. So to say this is a safety issue is pure bunk.

I can't find anything in the Alabama Code that seems to make it illegal to operate a golf cart on a public road. But I can't find the section on 4-wheelers either and as far as I know it's illegal to do so, including on the right-of-way beside the highway. Sassy can probably help me out here. At any rate, a golf cart seems to qualify as a motor vehicle (although apparently not an "automobile") under Alabama law. So I would think whatever laws apply to motor vehicles apply to golf carts. I could be wrong about this though.
Ala.Code 1975
§ 32-1-1.1. Definitions.
(32) Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices.

I also ran across some sites on low-speed vehicles (LSVs) and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles. Arguably golf carts may fit in this category and appear to be legal to drive on Alabama highways as long as they don't impede the normal flow of traffic.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/LowSpeedVehicles.aspx
Last edited by lawguy07
Equipment violations are what keep 4 wheelers, golf carts and lawn mowers from being legal to be on the streets. I'm certain there are some that can be made legal by the addition of the necessary equipment to bring them into compliance with code.

Brakes, tires, lights, horns, safety belts, reflectors...the lack of equipment, or not having the specified equipment...that's what makes these vehicles illegal to be on streets.
This subject just needs common sense. I lived in a hilly neighborhood previously and we had children zooming around on go-carts (illegally). I brought up my concerns at a neighborhood meeting and a grandmother was very irate about us not wanting her precious grandchildren to ride them. I told her that even if it was unavoidable, if I hit one of those kids I would never get over it.
BUT an adult driving a golf cart (presumably on the side of the road) in a high-visibility area, especially when the driver is handicapped, should be allowed within the neighborhood. What about the power chairs people drive all around town? I've almost hit a few of those as they dashed across the street. Yikes.
There are entire subdivisions built around the premise of using golf cart type vehicles to get around. Many have inner roads where standard cars are prohibited, and extremely enforced speed limits and stop signs. There may be some in Alabama, but I'm not aware of them. Most I'm aware of are in Florida.

Common sense is in short supply when it comes to drivers and vehicles...especially in Alabama. I recently had occasion to stop a 10 year old turned loose with a golf cart...he had six of his friends hanging onto the outside of the cart as he ran a stop sign to turn a curve at full speed. The father (who doesn't golf) is now upset because he's got a golf cart that his kid can only ride in his yard.
We had one of those, too, and cringed every time they came flying by our house (which was in a curve). I live in the city with no sidewalks, with a few elderly neighbors. I wouldn't think a thing about it if they started using a golf cart to putt around some just to get out of the house. I'd be waving and asking how they were doing!
I understand your sentiment entirely. But what is law for one has to be the law for all, unless the law makes specific exceptions.

As Lawguy07 pointed out, low speed vehicles are legal in Alabama. But golf carts don't fit the definition. They lack quite a bit of equipment that is required. I know one gentleman who has a low speed vehicle. He uses it to ride his grandchildren around, and to run errands in his neighborhood, like running to the convenience store. If I recall correctly, he paid about $7,000 for it.
quote:
Originally posted by JJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Eastside:

Speak for yourself. Last time I got a ticket it was from a MS trooper. I never said a word, just promptly complied with his instructions, signed the ticket and went on my way. The guy was a jerk and unprofessional in his approach and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction seeing me squirm.

Were you speeding? If you were speeding then you did exactly what you should have done -- took responsibility for your actions. My point was anyone that says they would NEVER done that is lying. In this instance, you may not have, but have you in the past? The statement was "would never TRY" -- not that they have never tried or that they try every time. If you weren't speeding, will you pay the ticket or will you go to court and try your luck with the judge? If you are dealing with a jerk of a cop, I agree with you to not let them have the satisfaction of making you sweat.
quote:
Originally posted by JaneYIS:
This subject just needs common sense. I lived in a hilly neighborhood previously and we had children zooming around on go-carts (illegally). I brought up my concerns at a neighborhood meeting and a grandmother was very irate about us not wanting her precious grandchildren to ride them. I told her that even if it was unavoidable, if I hit one of those kids I would never get over it.
BUT an adult driving a golf cart (presumably on the side of the road) in a high-visibility area, especially when the driver is handicapped, should be allowed within the neighborhood. What about the power chairs people drive all around town? I've almost hit a few of those as they dashed across the street. Yikes.

Ahhh, the voice of reason...finally Wink

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.