Skip to main content

What are some of the greatest quotes that I have ever heard about God?   What quotes would you include?  Here is what I consider my top 7 quotes  about God.

John  Piper

“God is  most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

This was one of the best quotes that I have ever  heard.  God seeks to be glorified and when we are satisfied in Him we will  be glorifying Him the most in our lives.  When people give me compliments,  I deflect them and aim them back to Who they belong to.  If someone says  that the moonlight is beautiful, aren’t they really giving the moon credit for  something that the sun is doing? Is the moon responsible for its own  light?  No!  In the same way, if we do anything that is good we are  only reflecting the God that enabled us to do good and it was only because and  through the power of the Holy Spirit; we were not the source of the good.    God is the source of all good so why not give Him the credit (the  glory) that He deserves.  God has said that He will not share His glory  with another (Isaiah 42:8).   If we live satisfied lives (and why shouldn’t we?) we are saying to God, God I  am satisfied in you because you sought me, you bought me, you taught me, what I  ought be.  Nothing in that sentence is about me…it is all about He!

John  Piper

“God is  most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

This was one of the best quotes that I have ever  heard.  God seeks to be glorified and when we are satisfied in Him we will  be glorifying Him the most in our lives.  When people give me compliments,  I deflect them and aim them back to Who they belong to.  If someone says  that the moonlight is beautiful, aren’t they really giving the moon credit for  something that the sun is doing? Is the moon responsible for its own  light?  No!  In the same way, if we do anything that is good we are  only reflecting the God that enabled us to do good and it was only because and  through the power of the Holy Spirit; we were not the source of the good.    God is the source of all good so why not give Him the credit (the  glory) that He deserves.  God has said that He will not share His glory  with another (Isaiah 42:8).   If we live satisfied lives (and why shouldn’t we?) we are saying to God, God I  am satisfied in you because you sought me, you bought me, you taught me, what I  ought be.  Nothing in that sentence is about me…it is all about He!

C. S.  Lewis

“A man can  no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put  out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his  cell.”

There is nothing that we can humanly do to  diminish God’s glory and so why not try to glorify Him in the way that we live  our lives? If we claim to be a believer and do not live like one, we are  actually blaspheming the God Who created us because others will say “Well, he  says that he’s a Christian but he lives like the rest of the world.”  How  sad that we can bring shame to the name of Christ by living in darkness and  claiming Him as our Lord.  One of the most tragic things that some who  think that they are Christian but their lives say otherwise, will come from  Jesus’ own lips “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the  kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in  heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in  your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many  miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you  evildoers” (Matt 7:21-23)!  Can you imagine the horror of hearing that and  then realizing, when it is too late, your eternal fate (Rev 20:11-15)!

Corrie ten  Boom

“Never be  afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

If anyone ever had a reason to grumble, much  like Job did, it would have been Corrie ten Boom.  This woman suffered so  much but strangely, the more she suffered, the stronger her faith became.   There were points in this woman of God’s life where most people would have  turned bitter against God but she trusted God with her whole mind, heart, and  soul.  What a shining example this woman left us.  Corrie ten Boom  would say along with Job that “Though he  slay me, I will hope in him” (Job 13:15).   This woman certainly trusted in God when everything around her said  differently.  Her future was certainly unknown, not knowing whether she  would live or die, yet she trusted her unknown future to the “known God.”

Joni  Eareckson Tada

“Sometimes God allows what he hates to  accomplish what he loves.”

Here is another heroine of faith like Corrie ten  Boom was.  Early in life Tada was paralyzed in a diving accident and she  admits that since she cannot take care of any of her personal needs since, she  needs a daily dose of grace from God or she couldn’t make it another day.    Someone has to help dress her, brush her teeth, and do virtually  everything for her but if not for this tragedy, she would have never been  humbled enough to come to saving faith in Christ.  God allows evil but He  causes good to come from it.  Joseph was a supreme example of that when his  brothers sold him into slavery, he was falsely accused and thrown into prison,  he languished in prison for nearly seven years, and he was nearly forgotten  about, but still it was said of him “And God was with Joseph” (Gen 21:20,  39:2).  Time and time again the Scriptures said that God was with Joseph,  even at the times that he was in a terrible place but God accomplished what He  loves in in the way that Joseph saved the nation of Egypt, Israel (by saving his  father Jacob and his family), and other nations too by his God-given  wisdom.   What was meant for evil, God used for good (Gen 50:20).

Pierre  Teiland de Chardin

“Joy is the  infallible sign of the presence of God.”

The Bible never promises happiness but joy is a  different story.  Jesus never said “I leave you my happiness,” instead He  said “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the  world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John  14:27).  Now you can lose your happiness in this world because happiness is  temporary and based upon happenings but the joy and peace that God gives remains  forever.  In fact it was “Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who  for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and  is set down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb12:2).  Here is a  strong indication that the joy of the Lord remains even among the severest of  trials, “Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate  you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil,  for the Son of man’s sake.  Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for,  behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers  unto the prophets” (Luke 6:22-23).  There can be no doubt that to be  persecuted and then leap for joy on account of that is incredibly different from  the ways of the world.  In fact the “Joy of the Lord is [our] strength” that allows us to endure life’s many trials (Psalm 28:7).  This “infallible  joy” truly is a “sign of the presence of God” and is a mark of a true  believer.

Martin  Luther

“One with  God is a majority.”

This quote is quite significant because often  Martin Luther was alone.  He was like who the Prophet Isaiah wrote about in  the coming of John the Baptist…a voice crying out in the wilderness.  At  the time, In time, Martin Luther’s one voice became, with the help of some of  his predecessors, the Great Reformation.  Luther knew that even if he was  alone and a lone voice against the gigantic Catholic Church, if God was with  him, he was really in the majority.  Many married people can relate to  this.  They may be Christian and their mate is not and their spouse may be  antagonistic toward them and their faith.  They might be the only Christian  at their work site and always feel like they are being persecuted, talked about  behind their back or excluded from major company activities and have few friends  there.  They could be the only one in their entire family that is saved and  they are not liked by the vast majority of family members.  Whatever the  case maybe, maybe it’s something that you can relate too, the point is that when  God is with you, you have the only One on your side Who counts.  You, plus  God, is a majority. If God is for you, then who could ever be against you (Rom  8:31)?

A. W.  Tozer

“What comes  into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about  us.”

Well said Mr. Tozer.  What we think of God  is how we will either disdain Him or we will regard Him with a holy, reverential  fear and respect.  If you regard God as holy, then you will strive to be  more holy.  If you don’t believe in God you will live like the Devil but if  you know that God exists, you will live like God is watching you.  Ezekiel  saw a vision of God and described the result; “Such was the appearance of the  likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I  heard the voice of one speaking” (Ezk 1:28).  The Apostle John wrote that “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right  hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last” (Rev  1:17).  When Abraham saw Him he fell face down (Gen 17:3).  No matter  what you think of God, here is a fact:  “every knee shall bow to me, and  every tongue shall confess to God” (Rom 14:11) and certainly “at the name of  Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth” (Phil  2:10).  No matter what we think of God today, and it is the most important  thing we will think of, every one of us will bend the knee…believer and  unbeliever, those dead (under the earth), those still alive at His coming (on  earth), and those already with the Lord (in heaven) will bow to Jesus Christ for  He is Lord of all and the King of kings and Lord of Lords.

Article by Jack Wellman

Jack Wellman is Pastor of the Mulvane Brethren  church in Mulvane Kansas. Jack is also the Senior Writer at What Christians Want To Know whose  mission is to equip, encourage, and energize Christians and to address questions  about the believer’s daily walk with God and the Bible. You can follow Jack on Google Plus or  check out his book  Blind Chance or Intelligent Design available on  Amazon

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/c...god-with-commentary/

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Bestworking:
Originally Posted by INVICTUS:

I've got two Humming bird feeders and a couple dozen very tiny swordfish

looking things that fight all day. They think they are bad ass. I like em.

Of course when I refill the things they rough me up a little so I know who's

boss.

---------------------

They fight with the hummingbirds?

lol yes they do.

Hi all,

YOU HAVE TO LOVE THIS!  My dear Friend, Vic, starts a new discussion about God.  And, then he hijacks his own discussion to chat about birds!

But, maybe there is an answer for this puzzle.  Yes, Vic did a 100% copy/paste of someone's writing about God -- but, maybe in his haste to copy/paste and get his avatar on the Religion Forum again -- he did not even notice that the article is about God.  Yes, I can see that happening.   Vic does not even bother to read before he does a copy/paste.   Just anything as long as he can get his PERIODS on the Forum.

So sad when a person is that insecure, that much in need of attention -- that he will go to that extreme.

And, then hijack the discussion he had just begun!   Go figure!  Duh!

Bless his little hijacked heart!

Bill

Goofy - Forgot To Start Again

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Goofy - Forgot To Start Again

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.