Skip to main content

Try to avoid ridiculous bias without facts to back up any arguement. This goes for both sides. This is for a debate about two fantastic teams, the two best SEC teams this decade, so lets keep it respectable. No idiotic name calling.... Just your ADULT opinion about this topic. Thanks.
"Remember, it's not a lie if YOU believe it" George Costanza
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love this debate. I'm an Auburn fan, so obviously I'm biased for my Tigers. I believe the '04 Auburn team was one of the best SEC teams ever. But even though I'm biased, thankfully that team was so good, I've got a ton of backup for my bias.
I'll start with defense. Fresh in our memories is the '09 Bama D. Very dominant all year. However, many get caught up in all Auburn's 1st round draft picks off that offense and forget that the defense led the nation, or was top 5 in every major category. Both teams shut down the run, and ended the season with near identical points per game against... Bama gave up only 11 ppg/Auburn gave up 11.2 ppg. Bama gave up about 242 yds per game, Auburn gave up about 265 yds per game. So in the defensive category it's a wash. Both dominant all year long.
In special teams I look at Arenas being one of the best punt returners in SEC history. But Auburn had a pretty good one in '04 named Carnell Williams. But I give Arenas the edge as it was a more natural position for him. However, Auburn gets the edge in kickoff returns. Devin Aromashadu and Carnell Williams led the SEC in '04 in yds per KO return. Yost putting kickoffs in the endzone, Vaughn leading the Tigers in points as the FG kicker, and Kody Bliss handling the punting duties(which Auburn did very little of) Auburn may have a slight edge over Tiffin and Co in the kicking dept. But overall, I'm seeing a pretty even matchup in the special teams for the 2 teams.
The offenses of the teams is where I see Auburn taking the advantage.
QB
Jason Campbell was the SEC player of the year in 2004, whereas Greg McElroy is considered very average even by Bama fans feelings. This is a runaway advantage for Auburn.
WR/TE
Another pretty significant advantage for Auburn here. Aromashadu, Obomanu, Taylor, and Mix were arguably the best WR core since the Spurrier Gators. Any one of those guys could break out at any time in any game for huge plays in the passing game. Although Bama had a solid core, they struggled to consistently get open and dominate at their position. Colin Peak was solid for Bama, but so to where Wallace and Bennent for the Tigers, so no true advantage there. The passing game overall for the '04 Tigers gave them a dynamic dimension that the '09 Bama team didn't have.
OL
Both teams had very good o-lines, but Bama's was much more one dimensional to the run while struggling at time with pass protection. Auburn's unit was balanced to both, and had 2 eventual 1st round draft picks on it. Slight edge to Auburn.
RB
This is the spot that is the closest to a wash on the offense. Ingram and Richardson made up a fantastic one-two punch for Bama, and along with their defense, where the reasons they went undefeated. However, Auburn had a superstar backfield of Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown. both dominated at different times, both were seniors, and both were top 5 draft picks in the NFL. Ingram and Richardson are still a tick below them on the todem poll of great SEC backs. Edge to Auburn.
In conclusion, Auburn had zero weaknesses on their offense, not liabilities at all. Whereas, Bama's inconsistency in the passing game was a significant liability in several games. Without a weak link, it's tough to find a spot on offense that Bama's team could match up with Auburn's.
As for schedule, both went undefeated in the SEC... that's about nuff said. But Auburn beat 5 top 10 teams(4 of which ended the season there). Bama's only win over top 10s where their last 2. Only 4 off their schedule finished in the top 25.
Also, besides the close call to the defending MNC LSwhoo team early in the year(more on this game later), Auburn didnt have another true 4th quarter threat all year. Bama needed miracles vs two 7 win unranked teams in Tenn and Auburn. Also, the Bama O struggled mightily vs South Carolina and Ole Miss, two more very average teams. Auburn looked more dominant week in and week out in '04 than Bama in '09.
And a nice ace in the hole arguement.... Bama didn't face an offense with near the power of Auburn's all year, however, Auburn faced several tough defenses. Bama for one was a top 10 D that year. Also, Georgia and Tenn were top flight defenses that year....oh yeah, and in '04 Auburn happened to beat a defense coached by Nick Saban. ;-)
So there's my arguement, backed by some pretty solid points I think. Feel free to debate with facts....but like I said, keep the gloves up. This should be a fun debate between what should be two proud fanbases.

WAR EAGLE!
I find these types of comparisons very difficult. I think it would come down to AU 2004 offense specifically passing game versus UA 2009 defense. The AU 2004 defense while good was susceptible to power running games which is UA 2009's strength. I think it would be close but being an Auburn homer I would say AU 2004 by 3.
so right Joy... so right...in true Bama fashion. LOL
Actually, I think even the Bama fans read my explanation as to why Auburn's 04 team was better and agree. I was absolutely fair to Bama and all their strengths during the '09 season, and absolutely correct to their weaknesses. Also, no one can find any arguement against the dominance of the '04 Auburn team.
I went with Bama because:
1. they either won or found a way to win every game this year (14) and I think they could do it again
2. while they are only getting credit for beating 2 top 10 teams they actually beat 3 because VaTech was ranked high at the time they were beat and made a very strong run later in the year climbing to #3 or #4.
3.10 teams from Bama's schedule went to bowl game and The Tide beat them all
4. The SEC is the best conference out there right now and the only ones who Alabama didn't beat are Georgia and Vandy.
5. I've been a Bama fan for over 40 years and cannot vote against the Tide ever.

You can run stats and stuff and speculate what could happen and it's fun. But it's not going to generate adult dicussions. Somebody on the Bama side will make a snide remark which will immediately be followed by a "Typical Tide Fan" response. It's already happened.

The Crimson Tide won every game, they won the SEC Championship,they won at Auburn and at Tenn. they won the Heisman (One of their players did) and they won the BCS. Saben didn't win Coach of the Year but that's about it. It was a good year to be a Tide fan, so let us enjoy it. I'm sure Auburn will be back if not next year then the year after. So will Tennessee and I hope they are, because a good team needs good opponents.

For the record: I think Auburn got ripped in '04 also.
Hey Dade... You just gave it your cred with a "Typical Tide Fan" response that kodachi spoke of.... thanx! lol
And until Bama won the BCS championship, I'd guess that you were a BCS basher just like all true college football fans are. In '04, USC and Oklahoma started the season 1 and 2... Auburn started 17. The fact that Auburn ran through the SEC with the relative ease they did, yet HAD TO HOPE Oklahoma or USC lost is the reason the BCS is junk. There was no undisputed champ in '04 because the 2 best teams didn't play each other. It's flawed, but Auburn did all they could and deserved at least a split NC.
You know, it's not possible to determine a winner on paper. If that was the case, there would never be any upsets or any reason to actually play a game.

Alabama proved they were the best team in college football in 2009. Auburn didn't do the same in 2004. Now, you can complain about why that was the case (a valid complaint), but the fact is that Bama did it on the field. It seems Auburn is reduced to trying to prove it on paper. And it can't be done.
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Rielly:
I love this debate. I'm an Auburn fan, so obviously I'm biased for my Tigers. I believe the '04 Auburn team was one of the best SEC teams ever. But even though I'm biased, thankfully that team was so good, I've got a ton of backup for my bias.
I'll start with defense. Fresh in our memories is the '09 Bama D. Very dominant all year. However, many get caught up in all Auburn's 1st round draft picks off that offense and forget that the defense led the nation, or was top 5 in every major category. Both teams shut down the run, and ended the season with near identical points per game against... Bama gave up only 11 ppg/Auburn gave up 11.2 ppg. Bama gave up about 242 yds per game, Auburn gave up about 265 yds per game. So in the defensive category it's a wash. Both dominant all year long.
In special teams I look at Arenas being one of the best punt returners in SEC history. But Auburn had a pretty good one in '04 named Carnell Williams. But I give Arenas the edge as it was a more natural position for him. However, Auburn gets the edge in kickoff returns. Devin Aromashadu and Carnell Williams led the SEC in '04 in yds per KO return. Yost putting kickoffs in the endzone, Vaughn leading the Tigers in points as the FG kicker, and Kody Bliss handling the punting duties(which Auburn did very little of) Auburn may have a slight edge over Tiffin and Co in the kicking dept. But overall, I'm seeing a pretty even matchup in the special teams for the 2 teams.

Bama had a slight lean on the Defensive numbers and played against better teams, finishing out the season against the #1 and #2 team in the land. Auburn did not have to face the tough competition that Bama did this past year from a ranking standpoint. Offensively, Bama had edge in TOP and they averaged the same scoring ppg. Bama had an edge in the running game as well, as both Ingram and Richardson had better numbers than Williams and Brown in 04. Campbell had slightly more yards, but also more INT's. It would be a tight game, but Bama would be favored going into this game.
quote:
And until Bama won the BCS championship, I'd guess that you were a BCS basher just like all true college football fans are. In '04, USC and Oklahoma started the season 1 and 2... Auburn started 17. The fact that Auburn ran through the SEC with the relative ease they did, yet HAD TO HOPE Oklahoma or USC lost is the reason the BCS is junk. There was no undisputed champ in '04 because the 2 best teams didn't play each other. It's flawed, but Auburn did all they could and deserved at least a split NC.

When it comes to the BCS it ain't enough to win all your games, you have to have a planetary alignment of some sort. Florida got it last year after they lost to Ole Miss (who turned out to have a pretty darn good team) LSU got it a couple of years ago when they actually lost 2 games. Auburn had the misfortune to win all their games in a year when OK and USC went #1 and #2 pretty much wire to wire. Bad luck

I think that the BCS is better than the system we had previously where #1 could end up playing #11 or NotreDame could leapfrog 5 teams and win it. But every year someone is left out Boise State, Utah etc..
quote:
Originally posted by Tideup:
Bama had a slight lean on the Defensive numbers and played against better teams, finishing out the season against the #1 and #2 team in the land. Auburn did not have to face the tough competition that Bama did this past year from a ranking standpoint. Offensively, Bama had edge in TOP and they averaged the same scoring ppg. Bama had an edge in the running game as well, as both Ingram and Richardson had better numbers than Williams and Brown in 04. Campbell had slightly more yards, but also more INT's. It would be a tight game, but Bama would be favored going into this game.

Auburn beat 5 teams ranked in the final top 15 in '04... I give Bama credit for the last 2 wins, but they were the only top 15 in the final rankings... and 2 of only 4 final top 25 teams they beat all year. Also, Florida was the only other top notch SEC team in '09... Auburn had the defending MNC LSU, top ten Georgia and top ten Tennessee(which they had to beat twice) back in '04. Also, Bama had a top 5 defense that year. Auburn dominated more tha Bama. the ppg was .2 points per game better for Bama. However, Arkansas scored 20 points on Auburn in '04 after Auburn had put the game away at 30-0(final was 38-20). Also, Miss St scored 14 in similar fashion after Auburn had already buried them. Tenn in the SEC champ game was the only team to truely challenge the '04 Auburn defense for 4 quarters putting up 28 points... but Auburn put up 38. And don't forget that this is a Tommy Tubberville team we're talkin about. If Auburn was up 2 scores in the second half he placed the handcuffs on Borges and the offense.
Even if you give Bama's D a slight edge(and it would have to be VERY slight), you have to give Auburn's o a big edge. McElroy and the bama passing game does not compare to the '04 Campbell and Co. passing game.

As to the stats... Carnell had 1200 yds at 5 ypc with 12 TDs. Ronnie had 913 yds at 6 ypc and 8 TDs. They combined also for 500 yds receiving and a couple of touchdowns. And did I mention that Auburn blew out just about every team they played? It was a regular occurance to see these to on the sideline in the 4th quarter.
Ingram had 1658 at 6 ypc and 17 TDs, Richardson had 751 at 5.2 ypc and 8 TDs. But these two where ridden till the end of just about every game. and they played one more game in '09(14) than Auburn in '04(13).
Campbell had 2700 yds, 70% comp, 20td-7int and averaged 10 yards per attempt.
McElroy had 2500 yds, 61% comp, 17td-4int and averaged only 7.7 yds per attempt.
Once again, Campbell didnt see a ton of 4th quarters and put up those numbers in one less game.
Any slight advantage you may give bama's running game(Based only on scheme obviously... Ingram and Richardson are very good, but they ain't Carnell and Ronnie), you'd have to give Auburn a huge advantage in the passing game. Alabama was one dimensional, and went through stretches where the passing game was horrible. Auburn's offense was dynamic and multi-demensional. The passing games are not even close in this comparison. Auburn by a mile.
Peter we sure can't argue the stats and what ifs with you, because you've obviously put a lot of thought into this. But unless you've somehow constructed a worm-hole, it's all conjecture and speculation. If you believe '04 Auburn would have won against '09 bama, by all means have fun with it.

Most everyone on this thread thinks that '04 Auburn could have had a good chance for the championship if things had worked out a little different. But I'm not going to say that '04 Auburn could have beat'09 Crimson Tide, no way.
But I'm obviously biased for the Tide, like any good fan.

I offer no stats other than the ones I've already listed.
If a Bama fan had written this a couple of years ago, how many "living in the past" comments would it have elicited. The screw has turned, now Auburn fans look for solace reliving past "glory days".

You can still read them if go to the last page or two of the sports forum. Look up the ones by Brentenman or Slice. Nice ones about digging up "Bahr" and such.
quote:
Even if you give Bama's D a slight edge(and it would have to be VERY slight), you have to give Auburn's o a big edge. McElroy and the bama passing game does not compare to the '04 Campbell and Co. passing game.

As to the stats... Carnell had 1200 yds at 5 ypc with 12 TDs. Ronnie had 913 yds at 6 ypc and 8 TDs. They combined also for 500 yds receiving and a couple of touchdowns. And did I mention that Auburn blew out just about every team they played? It was a regular occurance to see these to on the sideline in the 4th quarter.
Ingram had 1658 at 6 ypc and 17 TDs, Richardson had 751 at 5.2 ypc and 8 TDs. But these two where ridden till the end of just about every game. and they played one more game in '09(14) than Auburn in '04(13).
Campbell had 2700 yds, 70% comp, 20td-7int and averaged 10 yards per attempt.
McElroy had 2500 yds, 61% comp, 17td-4int and averaged only 7.7 yds per attempt.
Once again, Campbell didnt see a ton of 4th quarters and put up those numbers in one less game.
Any slight advantage you may give bama's running game(Based only on scheme obviously... Ingram and Richardson are very good, but they ain't Carnell and Ronnie), you'd have to give Auburn a huge advantage in the passing game. Alabama was one dimensional, and went through stretches where the passing game was horrible. Auburn's offense was dynamic and multi-demensional. The passing games are not even close in this comparison. Auburn by a mile.

Where to start? Bama's D would have an edge, even if slight, yes. Auburn's O with a big edge? Hardly. They averaged no more a game than Bama did. Bama had a better rushing attack, period. Ingram and Richardson as a Sophomore and Freshman, were better than Au's 2 Seniors. And just like yalls RB's, Ingram only played ONE quarter in a game and a couple of games only a half. Heck, he only played 3 quarters in the NC game if you'll recall. And still had over 400 more yards rushing than your best back had. You also want to give the receiving that Carnell had? Fine.. his total yardage was 1317 yds combined, under Ingrams rushing. Add in Ingrams receiving too and he's at 1992 yards. Yeah.. thats over 600 yards better with a one game difference. Bama clearly had a more dominant and better running game and RB's.

Passing. Ok.. yes, Campbell had 200 more yards passing and higher completion rate over the course of the season. He also had twice as many interceptions. He also did not face the top ranked defenses 2 games back to back like Bama did. Bama still dominated those defenses and opponents when we did. I'd call this position a wash. Bama had a larger edge in time of possession over their opponents, had a better defense over more games and a better running game over more games, where they could have been diluted down, but weren't. I'm not taking away from Auburn, as they 04 team was pretty dang good, but to argue that it is/was much better than Bama's this previous year is absurd. Again, Bama would be a slight favorite if they could play today.
quote:
Originally posted by Tideup:
Where to start? Bama's D would have an edge, even if slight, yes. Auburn's O with a big edge? Hardly. They averaged no more a game than Bama did. Bama had a better rushing attack, period. Ingram and Richardson as a Sophomore and Freshman, were better than Au's 2 Seniors. And just like yalls RB's, Ingram only played ONE quarter in a game and a couple of games only a half. Heck, he only played 3 quarters in the NC game if you'll recall. And still had over 400 more yards rushing than your best back had. You also want to give the receiving that Carnell had? Fine.. his total yardage was 1317 yds combined, under Ingrams rushing. Add in Ingrams receiving too and he's at 1992 yards. Yeah.. thats over 600 yards better with a one game difference. Bama clearly had a more dominant and better running game and RB's.

Passing. Ok.. yes, Campbell had 200 more yards passing and higher completion rate over the course of the season. He also had twice as many interceptions. He also did not face the top ranked defenses 2 games back to back like Bama did. Bama still dominated those defenses and opponents when we did. I'd call this position a wash. Bama had a larger edge in time of possession over their opponents, had a better defense over more games and a better running game over more games, where they could have been diluted down, but weren't. I'm not taking away from Auburn, as they 04 team was pretty dang good, but to argue that it is/was much better than Bama's this previous year is absurd. Again, Bama would be a slight favorite if they could play today.
Using logic with an Auburn fan is wasting your breath. Wink

The previous poster is correct. If a Bama fan started this post a few years ago, you'd have Aub's chanting "living in the past". The funny thing is, the Aubs are living in a past that is so void of greatness...
TideUp.... SERIOUSLY???
McElroy is on of the top 5 MOST AVERAGE QBS to ever start for a championship team. Jason Campbell was the SEC player of the year. In the running game, Bama's 2 combined for 296 more yards than Auburn's 2 with 1 more game and more carries...But that shows Bama's one demensional nature I spoke of. Auburn was balanced and dynamic on O, whereas Bama was VERY run heavy with a mediocre passing game. For you to say Ingram/Richardson is better than Williams/Brown(which is insane, but your opinion as a bama fan)is fine, but to put McElroy '09 in the same solar system as Campbell '04 is absurd on any level. Campbell made EVERY throw in every game to a superior receiving corp. McElroy threw primarily "dink and dunk" passes, and bootleg roll outs to the TEs. He had a 4 game stretch of barely completing 45% of his passes, and had 75 yds in the BCS game. Also, you try to say Auburn didn't play tough D's like Bama... hmmmm.. look up these teams from '04... LSU, Tenn(twice), Georgia, Alabama, and Virginia Tech... That's 6 games....SIX GAMES vs top 10 to 15 defenses that Auburn beat in '04. thus crazy to make Bama's oppenents out as tougher. There is no possibility of logically defending your statement that the two teams were a wash in the passing game. Like I said... AUBURN BY A MILE
Peter Rielly

Yeah. Seriously.

Ingram and Richardson had more rushing yards and more TDs as a true soph and freshman than your 3rd yr starting seniors.

McElroy had only 192 yds less passing over the course of the season than your "star" Qb. Proving that Bama was also balanced. Factor in his rushing vs Campbells, and its about 140 yds total difference between the two in yardarge on the season. Oh.. and McElroy had nearly only half the INT's as Campbell.

THEN... factor in that of the opponents Au played in 04... ONLY 4 TEAMS HAD A WINNING RECORD. ... That is compared to 10 TEAMS WITH WINNING RECORDS that Bama played in 09.

So yeah... Bama played more difficult opponents, had better rushers, still outscored opponents 32-11, as Au did against lesser ones in 04 and won the NC, along with the Heisman, Butkus award and placing 6 folks on the All American team. Bama would without a doubt be favored to win in a matchup and would likely win by a comfortable margin while controlling the ball.
ok Tide up... one more time....
Ingram and Richardson had 1 more game to have 300 more yds in a run heavy, unbalanced offense. But outside this state, how many folks you think would say they are better backs than Williams and Brown? Honestly answer that to yourself. Without bias to either team, what would knowledgeable football fans say to that? Just answer to yourself... the truth may hurt a bit. lol
As for the passing game... in one more game, McElroy had less yds and TDs. Yes, Campbell threw 3 more picks... but that is because Auburn's DYNAMIC passing game took more risks. Bama had a small time, playaction and dink and dunk passing game. Look at the average yds per attempt. 7.7 compared to 10 is a big jump. Once again, ask a non-biased football person. The passing game is NOT CLOSE!!! lol... Bama was a pure ball control team, Auburn was a dynamic offensive team.
As for the records... what you say of the records is SOMEWHAT true.... However, look deeper...
Auburn beat a 9 win LSU(defending MNC team), 10 win Georgia, 10 win Va Tech, and 10 win Tennesse twice. That's 4 wins over double digit win teams(remember to count Tenn twice, by a combined 72-38 score at Tenn and neutral site of SEC champ game), and one over a 9 win team. All of which ended the season in the top 15. They dominated all but LSU off this list. Also Auburn beat a 6-6 Bama team who boasted a top 5 defense in the nation. After a rough start, the Tigers dismantled the Tide in the second half.
Alabama beat Va Tech w 10 wins, and Fla and Tex both with 13 wins. Very impressive indeed, but all their other wins over teams with winning records was from the middle of the pack SEC teams from a average SEC year. Florida was the only SEC team that was any better than just pretty good in '09. Also, Bama needed miracles to beat Tennessee and Auburn in very average years, two 7-5 reg season teams with tons of depth issues during the first year of new coaches. Also, Bama did not come close to facing an offense with the balanced attack that the '04 Auburn team brought to the table. Va Tech had no true deep pass threat, and Fla and Texas were both extremely inconsistent running the ball all year. Auburn '09 was the best offense Bama faced all year, and they hit more big plays in that one game than Bama had given up all year. And the '09 Auburn offense wasnt near as deep and consistent as the '04 Auburn offense. On the flip, Auburn beat several top notch D's in '04. Saban's LSU defense, and an all-American laden Georgia team. Also the top 5 Bama D I mentioned.
I laughed uncontrollably when you stated that bama would win comfortably... You obviously never watched Auburn in '04. After the win vs LSU, they never faced another 4th quarter threat again the rest of the year. They destroyed everybody. Not only are you dilusional about the passing game matchup, but I think you are severely underrating Auburn's '04 defense. This would be a slugfest, but Auburn, because of the balance on O, would be able to make more big plays and come out with a win.
Last edited by Peter Rielly
Petey... petey, petey.

Check the stats. Bama had more offensive yards than Au did in their respective years. Bama was just as balanced, and only 140 yds separated the yardage Campbell put up and McElroy put up. The facts are not somewhat true.. they are totally true. Bama beat 10 teams that had a winning season.. Auburn beat 4 teams that had a winning season. Congrats... yall beat a couple of 10 win teams.. Bama beat a couple of 13 win teams... by double digits. Bama beat teams with top 2 defenses twice, something else Au didn't have to do. And if you presented other fans with the facts and stats of each team, they would also agree that Ingram and Richardson are better RB's than Williams and Brown. Proof is in the pudding and stats. And it was nearly 400 yds more. Williams had under 1200 yds rushing in 04. Ingram had almost 1700 yds. No way one in one game would Caddy make up 500 yds there. Keep on with your delusion. lol

And again.. I'd hope yall would have games under hand against teams with losing records by the fourth quarter.. hell.. Bama did by the 2nd half against the #1 and #2 teams this past year. hahaha
Tideup,

In one less game Campbell threw for 200 yards more than McElroy. Campbell completion perctentage was 9 points higher, and averaged 10 yds per att vs McElroy's 7.7 yds per att. Teams feared Auburn's passing attack in '04, they didn't fear Bama's passing attack in '09. Also, Campbell's less productive games were vs the less talented teams as he didnt play the entire game. He lit up Tenn twice, Georgia, Alabama and Va Tech. You have no clue about football whatsoever if you truely believe that McElroy and the Bama passing attack was even close to as good as Campbell and the Auburn passing attack.
Also, you only compared Carnell and Ingram... IN ONE LESS GAME Williams was 500 under Ingram, HOWEVER, IN ONE LESS GAME Brown had 160 more than Richardson. Carnell and Ronnie were a true combo, sharing carries throughout the game. Also, Carnell Williams was part of a duo(with Aromahadu) that led the SEC in yards per kick off return, and also Carnell Williams was one of the best punt returners in the SEC in '04.

And you keep talkin about the schedule... you think a bunch of 7 win teams is a big deal? I give Bama credit for beatin Va Tech, Fla, and Texas...But the rest of their schedule was full of very average teams. 2 of those average teams almost beat your mighty Tide. Auburn had wins versus 5...repeat that with me...FIVE teams that were in the top 15 of the final rankings. 4 of which had double digit wins. And Bama was 6-5 reg season that year with a top 5 defense to go along with that. And once again, Auburn DESTROYED every team(including the top 15 teams I mentioned) except for LSU. Auburn dominated week in, week out in a way Bama did not. Once again, both had dominant defenses, both had dominant running games, HOWEVER only one had a dominant passing attack..... who was that?? It wasn't the the team that had a 4 game stretch of barely completing 45% of their passes...it wasn't the team who had only 76 yds passing in their bowl game.... so...which one was it?? LOL
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Rielly:
Tideup,

In one less game Campbell threw for 200 yards more than McElroy. Campbell completion perctentage was 9 points higher, and averaged 10 yds per att vs McElroy's 7.7 yds per att. Teams feared Auburn's passing attack in '04, they didn't fear Bama's passing attack in '09. Also, Campbell's less productive games were vs the less talented teams as he didnt play the entire game. He lit up Tenn twice, Georgia, Alabama and Va Tech. You have no clue about football whatsoever if you truely believe that McElroy and the Bama passing attack was even close to as good as Campbell and the Auburn passing attack.
Also, you only compared Carnell and Ingram... IN ONE LESS GAME Williams was 500 under Ingram, HOWEVER, IN ONE LESS GAME Brown had 160 more than Richardson. Carnell and Ronnie were a true combo, sharing carries throughout the game. Also, Carnell Williams was part of a duo(with Aromahadu) that led the SEC in yards per kick off return, and also Carnell Williams was one of the best punt returners in the SEC in '04.

And you keep talkin about the schedule... you think a bunch of 7 win teams is a big deal? I give Bama credit for beatin Va Tech, Fla, and Texas...But the rest of their schedule was full of very average teams. 2 of those average teams almost beat your mighty Tide. Auburn had wins versus 5...repeat that with me...FIVE teams that were in the top 15 of the final rankings. 4 of which had double digit wins. And Bama was 6-5 reg season that year with a top 5 defense to go along with that. And once again, Auburn DESTROYED every team(including the top 15 teams I mentioned) except for LSU. Auburn dominated week in, week out in a way Bama did not. Once again, both had dominant defenses, both had dominant running games, HOWEVER only one had a dominant passing attack..... who was that?? It wasn't the the team that had a 4 game stretch of barely completing 45% of their passes...it wasn't the team who had only 76 yds passing in their bowl game.... so...which one was it?? LOL

No one really cares about your comments anymore dude. You've proven that you have no idea about football and your completely biased toward Auburn! That's probably why I've yet to see any of your predictions become a reality.
Until there is a playoff there is no National Champion, only mythical champions. And Auburn has just as much right to claim a National Championship in 04 as anyone, when you go undefeated what more can you do?? If AU 04 played UA 09 I would go with AU 04 because of their powerful offence and good defense.
Auburn almost beat Bama in 09 with perhaps their worse defense in decades.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.