Skip to main content

West Indian Day? Wouldn't signs or gun control stop gangs from getting guns and shooting up WID? They need to stick one up about knives too, remind the people that it's against the law to stab people.

================================

NEW YORK (AP) — The West Indian Day Parade, a rollicking, colorful celebration of Caribbean culture, music, style and food, rolled through New York City's streets Monday but, once again, was marred by predawn violence that left one man dead and an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo in critical condition.

Cuomo identified his wounded staffer as Carey Gabay, a first deputy general counsel at the Empire State Development Corporation. Gabay was walking with his brother near the Brooklyn parade route at 3:40 a.m. when he was caught in the crossfire between two gangs, according to police officials.

The pair had been walking back from a pre-parade party celebrating West Indian Day. A bullet struck Gabay, 43, in the head.

"I'm the governor of the state of New York, and there's not a thing I can do," Cuomo told reporters after he visited Gabay's family at Kings County Hospital. "There's not a thing I can say, and there's nothing I can do. And sometimes it just hurts."

Gabay's condition remained critical on Monday night, according to a spokeswoman for the governor.

The shooting was one of several outbursts of violence in the neighborhoods surrounding the parade, which included the stabbing death of a 24-year-old man at 2 a.m. near Grand Army Plaza.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/violence...n-day-192027247.html

Original Post

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.