Skip to main content

This is a great article and it helps explain better than I what is going on with atheism and discrimination in America today.

I ask you all to read it and try to imagine if it were reversed and it was your way of believing being handled and treated like this.

http://www.alternet.org/belief..._atheist?page=entire

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by DarkAngel:

This is a great article and it helps explain better than I what is going on with atheism and discrimination in America today.

I ask you all to read it and try to imagine if it were reversed and it was your way of believing being handled and treated like this.

-------------------------

Are you forgetting a deal of history?

I would have thought Alabama would have been number 1.

At least it did say that it depends where in a specific state you live and that it's not all just the southern Bible belt. Also shocking really.

Bothering the kids at school is awful, but bigotry exists for a lot of things. Atheism is just a new component.

I guess a black, atheist, female, overweight, homosexual teen has no hope.

Originally Posted by wright35633:

I want to ask a serious question. I also want a serious answer if you please. Should religious groups be considered protected groups? In the sense to call one a minority.

Religious groups are a  protected group. They do not pay many taxes others have to, they can run daycares and schools without having to adhere to the same guidelines and state laws others have to. Do I think they should be a protected group. No. However if they are going to be afforded special privileges and protections for nothing more than their beliefs then every group that has its own ideals should too. I believe we have equal rights in this country....they just need to be applied as such.

Originally Posted by INVICTUS:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel:

-------------------------

Are you forgetting a deal of history?

What part of history are you referring too? American history? World history? This century?

I want to ask a serious question. I also want a serious answer if you please. Should religious groups be considered protected groups? In the sense to call one a minority.

Of course they should be afforded the same protections as every other group.  And they are. Our freedom demands it and the Constitution enforces it.  

I would be just as angry at our governemtn for attempting to silence a religious group (Coc or Westborro) as I would be at attempts to silence an atheist group.  Our freedoms are much more important to me that our right to not be offended.

Otherwise, I do'n't really now what you are asking there. 

If you are a non-believer in Jesus Christ then anything a believer say's about the original question will be scoffed at. I personally have no problem with athiest not being able to publicize their athiest beliefs. I put them in the same boat as homosexuals.

The first commandment in the Bible says to love God with all your heart soul and mind. Of course those who don't believe in God or the Bible ignore that.

The Bible also say's that it is an abomination to be a homosexual. That to our society has chosen to accept. Why can't believers in Jesus Christ object to those who don't believe? You athiest seem to want to take our right to express our opinions away.

Originally Posted by I am the Fireman:

If you are a non-believer in Jesus Christ then anything a believer say's about the original question will be scoffed at. I personally have no problem with athiest not being able to publicize their athiest beliefs. I put them in the same boat as homosexuals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Turn around, bwah.  Lemme see if'n I recognize ya from prison."

That's OK. I put hoseheads in the same boat as smack-tards.

The first commandment in the Bible says to love God with all your heart soul and mind. Of course those who don't believe in God or the Bible ignore that.

The Bible also say's that it is an abomination to be a homosexual. That to our society has chosen to accept. Why can't believers in Jesus Christ object to those who don't believe? You athiest seem to want to take our right to express our opinions away.

So in your mind the only Americans that should have freedom of speech, and all other inalienable rights is Christians?

You may be a good Christian but you are a lousy American.

Originally Posted by Unobtanium:

Of course they should be afforded the same protections as every other group.  And they are. Our freedom demands it and the Constitution enforces it.  

I would be just as angry at our governemtn for attempting to silence a religious group (Coc or Westborro) as I would be at attempts to silence an atheist group.  Our freedoms are much more important to me that our right to not be offended.

Otherwise, I do'n't really now what you are asking there. 

===========

wul unoi, that's an about face from what I saw as your[ GOFISH] original positions of wanting to kill us all off.

Originally Posted by Jennifer:

Oh really bill? You have no problem with atheists or anyone else not having the same rights you do? You don't mind that SOME people don't have rights, just don't bother yours? you can discriminate just don't do it to you? I guess it will take lawsuits to force people to do the right thing.

No Jennifer, that's not what I said. I don't believe I've ever seen a billboard on the side of the roads stating that IF YOU ARE ATHIEST YOU'RE GOING TO HELL .So should it be ok for an athiest to post anti-God things on buses, billboards, signs etc.........
Not need for the name calling either.

Do believers not scoff at Atheist & non-believers? You do not know what brought that person to the point to believe what they believe. Why does a “Christian” not look for things to commend in others, instead of looking for things to condemn?

How do you know that person that sits next to you in church is not a homosexual, a child molester, one that beats his wife/children? But you think well of them just because that person is in church. 

The Bible says every one us is created in God's image, & for you to label the Atheist & non-believers as stupid or worthless, is counter to His plan.

Jesus himself calls anyone a hypocrite that tries to cast out the mote of another’s eye.

The Bible says, "Do not judge—or you too will be judged."  Uncharitable judgment could very well fall under that. You & Bill  judge others unjustly & unfairly just because they don’t believe the way you do. Your judging is putting yourself in God's place.

There’s another scripture that says "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?" You do not have the sufficient knowledge to judge us. You do not know what may be the causes of the faults in which you condemn others.

You have every right to object to those who don't believe, it's all how you go about your objecting.

Just because you call yourself a Christian, go to church, & study your Bible doesn’t make you a Christian.

Originally Posted by Jennifer:

Oh really bill? You have no problem with atheists or anyone else not having the same rights you do? You don't mind that SOME people don't have rights, just don't bother yours? you can discriminate just don't do it to you? I guess it will take lawsuits to force people to do the right thing.

No Jennifer, that's not what I said. I don't believe I've ever seen a billboard on the side of the roads stating that IF YOU ARE ATHIEST YOU'RE GOING TO HELL .So should it be ok for an athiest to post anti-God things on buses, billboards, signs etc.........
Not need for the name calling either.

That is exactly what you said. You said you have no problem with atheists being unable to publicize their beliefs. And what did you call homosexuals? In other words it's fine with you that they're denied their rights. What name did I call you? You haven't seen billboards about non-believers going to hell? You've never seen "christians" protesting and harassing people outside buildings where atheists or homosexuals are meeting, or at their parades?  Maybe you should do some searches.

Hi all,

The writer on AlterNet (an extreme Liberal Left yellow journalism site) tells us that ten states are not hospitable to atheists.  Someone please give her a tissue to dry her tears.   I can name FIFTY STATES which have many Anti-Christian laws and ordinances.  I can show you FIFTY STATES which discriminate against people of the Christian faith.  So, what's the big deal?  The poor atheists/secularists feel unloved in only ten states.  Cry me a river! 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

@ Bill Gray - You poor persecuted, and discriminated, American Christians. Your country is so hateful, and intolerant of you, it's so anti-Christian, boo hoo! Prove your so called anti Christian laws, and ordinances, and discrimination in all 50 states or stop the whining, and hypocrisy.

Dark Angel, you don't even know me. To make a statement like that shows you ignorance.

If you truly believe what you said in your post then that is all I need to know to make that call. All Americans have the same rights under the Constitution. If you feel there are certain groups that should not be afforded those rights based on beliefs contrary to yours then you are a lousy American. I have to call em like I see em.

My ignorance of what?

Originally Posted by Gnu:

@ Bill Gray - You poor persecuted, and discriminated, American Christians. Your country is so hateful, and intolerant of you, it's so anti-Christian, boo hoo! Prove your so called anti Christian laws, and ordinances, and discrimination in all 50 states or stop the whining, and hypocrisy.

===================

For you GNU.

New Atheists: The term "Wikipedia link for New_atheists New_atheists" should be properly applied only to Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel C. Dennett, Victor J. Stenger and Christopher Hitchens.

"Those five people all came out with books that sold well during the period 2004 to 2008, all centered around the thesis that religion itself as a whole had to be combated, and a sense that that combat had become urgent. There were other themes often but not always in common, ranging from promotion of science as an answer to everything (very common though not universal to the five, veering off into scientism every now and then), to Christopher Hitchens' support of the invasion of Iraq (which Richard Dawkins was against), but the two themes really held in common were anti-theism and an urgent feeling of the need of anti-theism.

There has recently been a couple of tries at fake legitimization by PZ Myers by claiming people like Wikipedia link for David Hume David Hume as New Atheists (of very long ago, obviously, seeing Hume died in 1776; as shall be seen while moving along through this and my other soon blog posts, such claims are bogus)".http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?b=474

gnu

Attachments

Images (1)
  • gnu
Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi all,

The writer on AlterNet (an extreme Liberal Left yellow journalism site) tells us that ten states are not hospitable to atheists.  Someone please give her a tissue to dry her tears.   I can name FIFTY STATES which have many Anti-Christian laws and ordinances.  I can show you FIFTY STATES which discriminate against people of the Christian faith.  So, what's the big deal?  The poor atheists/secularists feel unloved in only ten states.  Cry me a river! 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

Obviously you have reading comprehension issues. Its says 10 scariest states....all 50 have examples of discrimination. I don't want love from anyone or place other than my family, all I want and demand is equal treatment. I don't cry over it, I get justice.

@ Rramnlimnn_TheGreat - One thing I've learned is that when you're at a new school; the first kid that wants to talk with you and follows you around is a terrible loser who's hoping you're too new to notice. I can smell the same desperation on you. - Either make your self worthwhile, or smart, or get off my lap lil doggie. Try n hump someone else.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.