Skip to main content

There are some really good view points here and some are marginal in my view.
The repeated use of "everybody deserves the same and the more successful among us should be made to pay for it theme" is a failed system called Communism.
The Great Society experiment has resulted in a welfare system rewarding no effort for life. How can anyone, in their right mind, suggest that because an individual is financially successful that they should support the slackards and porch "taters? Take away the incentives for success and you remove all reason for individual effort.
Some complain about the job market in the Shoals as being full of mediocre jobs with no opportunities for financial rewards. Are your feet glued to the floor? People that can do better do better, the rest complain about their circumstances. Look in your mirror the face you see is responsible for your success, minimum wage or not.
quote:
There are some really good view points here and some are marginal in my view.
The repeated use of "everybody deserves the same and the more successful among us should be made to pay for it theme" is a failed system called Communism.
The Great Society experiment has resulted in a welfare system rewarding no effort for life. How can anyone, in their right mind, suggest that because an individual is financially successful that they should support the slackards and porch "taters? Take away the incentives for success and you remove all reason for individual effort.
Some complain about the job market in the Shoals as being full of mediocre jobs with no opportunities for financial rewards. Are your feet glued to the floor? People that can do better do better, the rest complain about their circumstances. Look in your mirror the face you see is responsible for your success, minimum wage or not.

Well said.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kperk:

You're probably the type who expects everything to be handed to him (or her or it)."

Incorrect assumption. Sorry to disappoint.

"Tell me dbt, what if we all quit work if we can't be paid what we want to be paid?"

That's your option, I suppose, but not a logical decision. It's also not the issue here.
quote:
Originally posted by dbt123:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kperk:

You're probably the type who expects everything to be handed to him (or her or it)."

Incorrect assumption. Sorry to disappoint.

"Tell me dbt, what if we all quit work if we can't be paid what we want to be paid?"

That's your option, I suppose, but not a logical decision. It's also not the issue here.

Of course its not logical. Through that reddish haze I'm surprised you figured that out. If people being overpaid for the job they are doing isn't the issue, then what is? If you've been to college maybe you should have listened. Or maybe you did. With the liberal eggheads embedded in our universities, its no wonder we read some of the lunacy printed on this board.
I get the feeling except one or two posters on this topic are under 40. I definitely get the sense that their are some meanspirited people and in most part economic snobs. This country and especially workers in the Shoals are LONG overdue for a raise. It all started with the systematic destruction of the Unions brought on by Ronald Reagan and now his "trickle down" theory has trickled. Unfortunately, all it did was dump **** on those who were already at the bottom of the bowl. I don't know where some of you are coming from, when all the textile plants started closing in industrial park in Florence, how were these people going to go from making a decent wage to $5.15 an hour and pay mortgages and car payments etc. They didn't even have time to "go back to school" and learn skills. Banks don't wait for their payments. This area if more than any in the country should be GLAD that the Federal Government has finally done what Big Industry will not. Provide a decent wage for a hard days work! These responses really (to use an old hippie term) Blow my mind! I don't think too many of these posters have ever had to suffer, worry about putting food on the table, keeping the kids in clothes, a roof over your head and a automobile (which you had to have to even get a minimum wage job in the Shoals thanks to NO public transportation) on $5.15 an hour WHILE you were trying to learn a new skill! THE DOG
quote:
Originally posted by that smart chick:
Let's just forget wages and work and make everything FREE! yea!! Big Grin

Please smart chick! There are people on this board (kindred spirit, dbt, etc.) who think that's feasible. They don't and never will understand that a freebie for one person comes out of someone else's pocket. Recently a woman was telling me about her trip to Canada. She was amazed that everything up there costs almost double as in the U.S. But on a happy note, at least they have free health care. I asked her if she thought the tax-inflated prices of every day goods had anything to do with the "free" health care. Of course she didn't have a clue. Does that sound like a lot of the characters on here?
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG 20/20:
I get the feeling except one or two posters on this topic are under 40. I definitely get the sense that their are some meanspirited people and in most part economic snobs. This country and especially workers in the Shoals are LONG overdue for a raise. It all started with the systematic destruction of the Unions brought on by Ronald Reagan and now his "trickle down" theory has trickled. Unfortunately, all it did was dump **** on those who were already at the bottom of the bowl. I don't know where some of you are coming from, when all the textile plants started closing in industrial park in Florence, how were these people going to go from making a decent wage to $5.15 an hour and pay mortgages and car payments etc. They didn't even have time to "go back to school" and learn skills. Banks don't wait for their payments. This area if more than any in the country should be GLAD that the Federal Government has finally done what Big Industry will not. Provide a decent wage for a hard days work! These responses really (to use an old hippie term) Blow my mind! I don't think too many of these posters have ever had to suffer, worry about putting food on the table, keeping the kids in clothes, a roof over your head and a automobile (which you had to have to even get a minimum wage job in the Shoals thanks to NO public transportation) on $5.15 an hour WHILE you were trying to learn a new skill! THE DOG

Of course it was the sainted unions that ran off Reynolds, Ford, Union Carbide and others. If you hadn't been making triple the wages of most of the people in the Shoals area, maybe those companies would still be here, employing thousands of people at good wages. I remember when Nissan was considering the Shoals for their auto plant after Ford had closed. Our local UAW officials moved in to seal the deal by giving them a list of demands. How many of you work at the Shoals Nissan factory? That's right. Thanks a lot, union.
quote:
Originally posted by kperk:

Of course its not logical. Through that reddish haze I'm surprised you figured that out. If people being overpaid for the job they are doing isn't the issue, then what is? If you've been to college maybe you should have listened. Or maybe you did. With the liberal eggheads embedded in our universities, its no wonder we read some of the lunacy printed on this board.[/QUOTE]

I thought you didn't go to college? In fact, you seemed quite proud of that fact. How, then, would you assume you know what goes on there? False assumptions, I guess.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by that smart chick:
Let's just forget wages and work and make everything FREE! yea!! Big Grin

Please smart chick!
There are people on this board (kindred spirit, dbt, etc.) who think that's feasible."

Hyperbole. At times it can be rhetorically sound, but it's not effective in this discussion.
quote:

Two woofs for that. Make it three. Smiler
quote:
Well that did it for me child, I hope someday you will see the light, until then the ol dog ain't got the time and patience SO Thank God and Greyhound YOUR GONE! And all I can say is; hope you never have to go through hard times. THE DOG

Hey I lived 40 years of my life in Florence. Never made more than $19,000 in a year. I worked in a furniture factory, standing on woodchips to keep from getting frostbite. I worked at a tire and rubber company long enough to come home sneezing and coughing carbon black.Spent 10 years in a sewing factory, was making about the same at the end as I was the beginning but nah, I ain't seen hard times.
quote:
quote:

Of course it was the sainted unions that ran off Reynolds, Ford, Union Carbide and others. If you hadn't been making triple the wages of most of the people in the Shoals area, maybe those companies would still be here, employing thousands of people at good wages. I remember when Nissan was considering the Shoals for their auto plant after Ford had closed. Our local UAW officials moved in to seal the deal by giving them a list of demands. How many of you work at the Shoals Nissan factory? That's right. Thanks a lot, union.

A member of my immediate family worked for Ford. Have you ever watched someone slowly die from poor working conditions that earned a minimum wage? (Asbestos can cause mesothelioma, you know? Emphysema is nasty as well.) It's a nasty, nasty thing. I don't blame people who decided their contract needed to include that they wouldn't die for a meager living. It's not worth it.
quote:
quote:

Of course its not logical. Through that reddish haze I'm surprised you figured that out. If people being overpaid for the job they are doing isn't the issue, then what is? If you've been to college maybe you should have listened. Or maybe you did. With the liberal eggheads embedded in our universities, its no wonder we read some of the lunacy printed on this board.

I thought you didn't go to college? In fact, you seemed quite proud of that fact. How, then, would you assume you know what goes on there? False assumptions, I guess.[/QUOTE]

As usual, you guessed wrong. Oh I was there for two years where I listened to the same kind of manure that I read on here. Being unable to control family events around me led me out the door. I have a son who is close to graduation and he has his head on straight unlike... well, nevermind.
quote:
Something smells around here. Anybody let the dog out?

I had my Saturday night bath Quarrles so I know it ain't me, and I chewed a Milk Bone(or my version of one) I couldn't afford those on $5.15 an hour if that was all I made and believe me there have been times I was **** near it. But from one old codger to another, you don't irritate me a bit, This ol dog been around too long and knows how to fight with the big dogs. LOL THE DOG
quote:
quote:
Well that did it for me child, I hope someday you will see the light, until then the ol dog ain't got the time and patience SO Thank God and Greyhound YOUR GONE! And all I can say is; hope you never have to go through hard times. THE DOG

Hey I lived 40 years of my life in Florence. Never made more than $19,000 in a year. I worked in a furniture factory, standing on woodchips to keep from getting frostbite. I worked at a tire and rubber company long enough to come home sneezing and coughing carbon black.Spent 10 years in a sewing factory, was making about the same at the end as I was the beginning but nah, I ain't seen hard times.

All of that and you don't think minimum wage should be increased so that people can earn a 'minimum' living for a hard day's work? Your thought process there is EXACTLY why wealthy folks (and perhaps the Republicans; who knows?) absolutely LOVE you! Congrats!
quote:
quote:
quote:

All of that and you don't think minimum wage should be increased so that people can earn a 'minimum' living for a hard day's work? Your thought process there is EXACTLY why wealthy folks (and perhaps the Republicans; who knows?) absolutely LOVE you! Congrats!

Sure it was hard work for low pay. Thats why I kept searching for something better. I had much rather be doing what I am now instead of standing on those woodchips for 7.25 an hour. And guess what. You will probably end up working for one of those wealthy folks! Ain't that funny? They didn't become rich by giving it away. Everytime your heroes like Teddy and Barney Fwank make them pay more, they will pay you less. Just plain, cold, hard facts of life. Silly kids....
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought you didn't go to college? In fact, you seemed quite proud of that fact. How, then, would you assume you know what goes on there? False assumptions, I guess.

As usual, you guessed wrong. Oh I was there for two years where I listened to the same kind of manure that I read on here. Being unable to control family events around me led me out the door. I have a son who is close to graduation and he has his head on straight unlike... well, nevermind.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... You don't have enough data for an 'as usual' statement, but I digress..

To you point, I'm honestly sorry that family circumstances prevented you from finishing college if that was your desire. Your experience, however, is a great example of how not everyone is able to 'educate' himself or herself into a better paying job.

As for you son's nearing graduation, I congratulate him on his accomplishments! As for the fact that you say he "has his head on straight"... well, in my opinion that makes one of you. Wink I do wish him the best opportunities in whatever career he pursues.
Originally posted by NashBama:
Plenty of people move to other areas with better opportunities, I did and so did my sister. If you don't like how much you're making, find a different job. If you need more education, make time and get it.

Education is not free, How can some one go to college on 5.15 an hour? Have you checked on the cost of Education?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"I had much rather be doing what I am now instead of standing on those woodchips for 7.25 an hour. "I don't blame you! You probably should have earned even more than that for that kind of work! I'm on your side, see?

And guess what. You will probably end up working for one of those wealthy folks!

"End up...?" I am well-settled in a career. And, wouldn't you know it, I work for the state. Smiler

"Everytime your heroes like Teddy and Barney Fwank make them pay more, they will pay you less."

Sorry, I didn't share my heroes with you.

Just plain, cold, hard facts of life. Silly kids....

Well, I don't find that age is related to this discussion. However, if it is, and kids are bad, then I should point out I'm probably older than you based on the information you've provided in this thread.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As usual, you guessed wrong. Oh I was there for two years where I listened to the same kind of manure that I read on here. Being unable to control family events around me led me out the door. I have a son who is close to graduation and he has his head on straight unlike... well, nevermind.

To you point, I'm honestly sorry that family circumstances prevented you from finishing college if that was your desire. Your experience, however, is a great example of how not everyone is able to 'educate' himself or herself into a better paying job.

As for you son's nearing graduation, I congratulate him on his accomplishments! As for the fact that you say he "has his head on straight"... well, in my opinion that makes one of you. Wink I do wish him the best opportunities in whatever career he pursues.[/QUOTE]

Yes he has his head on straight. Thats why I can brag on him unlike your parents I would guess. And if you are still digressing, try a little Donagel. It will work for your mouth just like your *** which are more or less, used for the same thing.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"I had much rather be doing what I am now instead of standing on those woodchips for 7.25 an hour. "I don't blame you! You probably should have earned even more than that for that kind of work! I'm on your side, see?

And guess what. You will probably end up working for one of those wealthy folks!

"End up...?" I am well-settled in a career. And, wouldn't you know it, I work for the state. Smiler

THAT EXPLAINS IT!!! So you've never worked a day in your life! Those state jobs. A real model of efficiency! 5 people get paid to do the work of 1. Yep, that explains it all. Enough said I guess.

"Everytime your heroes like Teddy and Barney Fwank make them pay more, they will pay you less."

Sorry, I didn't share my heroes with you.

Just plain, cold, hard facts of life. Silly kids....

Well, I don't find that age is related to this discussion. However, if it is, and kids are bad, then I should point out I'm probably older than you based on the information you've provided in this thread.
quote:

As for you son's nearing graduation, I congratulate him on his accomplishments! As for the fact that you say he "has his head on straight"... well, in my opinion that makes one of you. Wink I do wish him the best opportunities in whatever career he pursues.[/QUOTE]

Yes he has his head on straight. Thats why I can brag on him unlike your parents I would guess. And if you are still digressing, try a little Donagel. It will work for your mouth just like your *** which are more or less, used for the same thing.[/QUOTE]

If I were your teacher, I'd say, "Stop guessing, little kperk, you're not getting the right answers!" But I'm not. So instead, bless your little heart, sounds like your feelings got hurt. It's okay, you can take your ball and go home now.
quote:
Education is not free, How can some one go to college on 5.15 an hour? Have you checked on the cost of Education?

As I've already stated, Pell grants and students loans are easy to get. The less you make, the more a Pell grant will cover. What a Pell grant doesn't pick up, a student loan can cover the rest and more. You don't have to pay that pack until 6 months after you graduate and the interest doesn't increase. That's how I did it.
quote:
YOU HAVE A STATE JOB! THAT EXPLAINS IT!!! So you've never worked a day in your life! Those state jobs. A real model of efficiency! 5 people get paid to do the work of 1. Yep, that explains it all. Enough said I guess little boy.

Again, bless your heart. You're still guessing wrong! Your logic is that my current job reflects all previous experience? That would be funny if it weren't so sad on your part. I worked for 25 years in various jobs that started with minimum wage. I also spent years working in the service industry. That's where I learned to deal with jerks, both rich and poor, smart and dumb. Now, I'm where I am. And I've probably worked almost as many days as you've been alive. Again, take your ball home if all you can do is pout and call names. We'll keep playing.
quote:
quote:
YOU HAVE A STATE JOB! THAT EXPLAINS IT!!! So you've never worked a day in your life! Those state jobs. A real model of efficiency! 5 people get paid to do the work of 1. Yep, that explains it all. Enough said I guess little boy.

Again, bless your heart. You're still guessing wrong! Your logic is that my current job reflects all previous experience? That would be funny if it weren't so sad on your part. I worked for 25 years in various jobs that started with minimum wage. I also spent years working in the service industry. That's where I learned to deal with jerks, both rich and poor, smart and dumb. Now, I'm where I am. And I've probably worked almost as many days as you've been alive. Again, take your ball home if all you can do is pout and call names. We'll keep playing.

STATE JOB! HA HA HA! Yes, we've seen evidence of the "work" you do, you little name-caller. State job. HA HA HA
quote:
Read my earlier post. I paid for my college education while I raised a pre-schooler as a single mother. I didn't get child support, welfare, or scholarships. I got 2 jobs. I got student loans and a Pell Grant (which isn't really squat).

Again I ask: Who among you even KNOWS anyone who makes minimum wage???

Why didn't you just sit on your behind and wait for someone to take care of you like the dimocrat bunch?
quote:
quote:
Read my earlier post. I paid for my college education while I raised a pre-schooler as a single mother. I didn't get child support, welfare, or scholarships. I got 2 jobs. I got student loans and a Pell Grant (which isn't really squat).

Why didn't you just sit on your behind and wait for someone to take care of you like the dimocrat bunch?

Well, what makes you think I sit on my behind? I might make more money than you.
quote:
Originally posted by PBA:
quote:
quote:

Well, what makes you think I sit on my behind? I might make more money than you.

Never said YOU did. Unfortunately for you, it IS the dimocrats who are always screaming "give me this, give me that." It tarnishes everyone associated.
quote:

STATE JOB! HA HA HA! Yes, we've seen evidence of the "work" you do, you little name-caller. State job. HA HA HA[/QUOTE]

Oh, silly little Kperky! Evidence of the work I do? Have I mentioned what work I do? No, you don't know my job. State jobs include anything funded wholly or partially funded by the state. You know those people you see putting the new asphalt on the old highways? They are examples of state workers. I don't think it's a job that should be belittled. Secondly, who called someone a name? I don't believe I did. You called me a "name-caller," which is very mature. Bless your heart. I hope you feel better. It's about your bedtime.
quote:
quote:

STATE JOB! HA HA HA! Yes, we've seen evidence of the "work" you do, you little name-caller. State job. HA HA HA

Oh, silly little Kperky! Evidence of the work I do? Have I mentioned what work I do? No, you don't know my job. State jobs include anything funded wholly or partially funded by the state. You know those people you see putting the new asphalt on the old highways? They are examples of state workers. I don't think it's a job that should be belittled. Secondly, who called someone a name? I don't believe I did. You called me a "name-caller," which is very mature. Bless your heart. I hope you feel better. It's about your bedtime.[/QUOTE]

State job! HA HA HA! WHOOPI
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, silly little Kperky! Evidence of the work I do? Have I mentioned what work I do? No, you don't know my job. State jobs include anything funded wholly or partially funded by the state. You know those people you see putting the new asphalt on the old highways? They are examples of state workers. I don't think it's a job that should be belittled. Secondly, who called someone a name? I don't believe I did. You called me a "name-caller," which is very mature. Bless your heart. I hope you feel better. It's about your bedtime.

State job! HA HA HA! WHOOPI[/QUOTE]
And oh yes, I've seen those workers on the road. One guy working while 5 others are talking and drinking coffee on the side of the road. State jobs and work don't even belong in the same sentence.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And oh yes, I've seen those workers on the road. One guy working while 5 others are talking and drinking coffee on the side of the road. State jobs and work don't even belong in the same sentence.[/QUOTE]

Do you identify with the one? Oh well. You're quite a worker bee, and I can see you're trying hard to think about this. I better not keep you from your studying and bedtime. Night, night, sleep tight. Do your best, and tomorrow will be a great day!
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And oh yes, I've seen those workers on the road. One guy working while 5 others are talking and drinking coffee on the side of the road. State jobs and work don't even belong in the same sentence.

Do you identify with the one? Oh well. You're quite a worker bee, and I can see you're trying hard to think about this. I better not keep you from your studying and bedtime. Night, night, sleep tight. Do your best, and tomorrow will be a great day![/QUOTE]

state job ! he he he
quote:
. I better not keep you from your studying and bedtime. Night, night, sleep tight. Do your best, and tomorrow will be a great day!

state job ! he he he[/QUOTE]

Again, it's getting late. You're not thinking clearly anymore(?). You have to work tomorrow, don't you? Bless your heart. Get a good night's rest, and you'll think better in the morning. Night!
quote:
quote:
. I better not keep you from your studying and bedtime. Night, night, sleep tight. Do your best, and tomorrow will be a great day!

state job ! he he he

Again, it's getting late. You're not thinking clearly anymore(?). You have to work tomorrow, don't you? Bless your heart. Get a good night's rest, and you'll think better in the morning. Night![/QUOTE]

I appreciate the blessings, really. And maybe you are the ONE working while the others while away the day. So get some rest old chap, you'll need it tomorrow.....Oh that's right, you work for the state. ANOTHER paid day off. Such horrific conditions!

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.