Skip to main content

there has been a huge buzz about this many places online, but i haven't noticed any mention here. i seem to remember a poll a few months back that indicated about half of the people in the shoals would be interested in this.

this was originally posted by Paul Armentano

Change.gov, the Web site of President-elect Barack Obama's transition team, has now closed the Web page "Open for Questions."

After receiving nearly 100,000 total votes on more than 10,000 public policy issues, the most widely voted on question for Obama is:

"Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion-dollar industry right here in the U.S.?"

(Equally impressive, 16 of the top 50 overall questions posed to the new administration pertained to drug-law reform. Now do we have your attention?)

According to the Change.gov site, "Over the next few days, some of the most popular questions selected by the Change.gov community will be answered by the Transition team, and their responses will be posted here on the site."

So does this mean that the Obama will post a response to the public's outcry for tangible marijuana-law reform? Or will the incoming administration choose to remain silent on the one progressive issue that the American public, but not their elected official, is "buzzing" about?

the rest of this article is at Link
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by James Holden:
there has been a huge buzz about this many places online, but i haven't noticed any mention here. i seem to remember a poll a few months back that indicated about half of the people in the shoals would be interested in this.

this was originally posted by Paul Armentano

Change.gov, the Web site of President-elect Barack Obama's transition team, has now closed the Web page "Open for Questions."

After receiving nearly 100,000 total votes on more than 10,000 public policy issues, the most widely voted on question for Obama is:

"Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion-dollar industry right here in the U.S.?"

(Equally impressive, 16 of the top 50 overall questions posed to the new administration pertained to drug-law reform. Now do we have your attention?)

According to the Change.gov site, "Over the next few days, some of the most popular questions selected by the Change.gov community will be answered by the Transition team, and their responses will be posted here on the site."

So does this mean that the Obama will post a response to the public's outcry for tangible marijuana-law reform? Or will the incoming administration choose to remain silent on the one progressive issue that the American public, but not their elected official, is "buzzing" about?

the rest of this article is at Link

i think he is a smart man and will make the next move to change for the US. LEGALIZE IT!!!!!
Hopefully he will at least de-criminalize it.

The real smart thing to do is end this ridiculous way we wage the "war on drugs" and allow doctors to write scrips for addictive drugs and get them into the drugstores and off the streets.
Most of the addictive drugs are really cheep , but street price is high forcing addicts to become dealers and encouraging young people to "try" drugs to keep the cash flowing.
By putting the stuff into drugstores, most of the street crime associated with the illegal drug trade would vanish overnight.
THEN THE PEOPLE WHO BREAK INTO YOUR CAR AND STEAL YOUR STUFF WILL BE PROSECUTED, NOT LET GO BECAUSE THEY ARE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANTS.
I would not oppose an intelligent law to legalize marijuana. However, such a law will not mean an end to its misuse or problems to society.

The Dutch learned that lesson, the hard way. I suggest we study their errors and incorporate solutions aforehand. No reason to make the same mistakes.

"ALMERE, Netherlands (Reuters) - Almost a fifth of Amsterdam's popular marijuana-selling coffee shops will be closed down because they are too close to schools, the city council said Friday.

Of the 228 coffee shops in the Dutch capital, 43 must close by the end of 2011 because they are within 250 meters of a school, the council said.

The Dutch coffee shop policy has come under fresh criticism after the Dutch cities of Bergen op Zoom and Roosendaal, located near the Belgian border, said they will close all their shops within two years to combat drug tourism and crime."

For the rest: Link

They're doing the same re-evalution of their houses of ill or good repute!
SOMETHING needs to be done regarding marijuana. There are FAR, FAR too many persons behind bars in this country for relatively minor drug offenses, burdening the budgets of states and cities beyond reason. And there are far too many penal systems that offer NO rehabilitation programs for drug users, thus virtually assuring a high rate of repeated offenses and repeated inarcerations. This nation has 5 percent of the world's population and 25 percent of the world's prisoners! THAT is scandalous, and especially so when the elites who crassly and flagrantly violate national and international law concerning such things as TORTURE are getting off Scot-free! It is those same elites who so often tout themselves as being tough on crime. Hypocrites!
i, for one, am all for reform of the laws. i have done some research, during the $4/gal gasoline, and come up with an opinion of my own. i will try to find the link and post it ASAP!
one acre of industrial hemp (not even get you high weed, INDUSTRIAL HEMP) can produce over 50 barrels of hemp oil in one growing season. now, with that fact in hand, can anyone tell me what the worlds first Diesel engine ran on?

you guessed it, Hemp Oil!
quote:
Originally posted by excelman:
Hopefully he will at least de-criminalize it.

The real smart thing to do is end this ridiculous way we wage the "war on drugs" and allow doctors to write scrips for addictive drugs and get them into the drugstores and off the streets.
Most of the addictive drugs are really cheep , but street price is high forcing addicts to become dealers and encouraging young people to "try" drugs to keep the cash flowing.
By putting the stuff into drugstores, most of the street crime associated with the illegal drug trade would vanish overnight.
THEN THE PEOPLE WHO BREAK INTO YOUR CAR AND STEAL YOUR STUFF WILL BE PROSECUTED, NOT LET GO BECAUSE THEY ARE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANTS.

Excel,
I can hardly wait to see what that will cost. Become addicted to drugs then can't work, go on disability, then do get the drugs for free on the tax payers back.
quote:

one acre of industrial hemp (not even get you high weed, INDUSTRIAL HEMP) can produce over 50 barrels of hemp oil in one growing season. now, with that fact in hand, can anyone tell me what the worlds first Diesel engine ran on?

you guessed it, Hemp Oil!

Exactly BG.
A lot of people have forgotten about hemp.
Like everything else we only have to follow the money. Anything that provides a higher yield per acre (by 400%) and can be used to manufacture everything from the stuff you write on (Jefferson drafted our Declaration of Independence on hemp paper after all) to fuel for your car is likely to meet some opposition from the powerful lobbyists representing energy, manufacturing and transportation. It's a shame really. It could be represent an easier, less costly solution to a lot of our problems.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.