Skip to main content

Asssuming (and praying) all goes as planned, the Shoals will have between 1,500 and 1,800 new jobs in a relatively short time. This is not counting the auxillary businesses that will spring up out of necessity. Who knows what the final count will be. I have expressed dismay in the past that we have so many in this area wanting, even demanding, better jobs, yet choosing not to educate themselves for these positions. I understand most of these positions will involve welding. While I welcome (legal) newcomers to the area, how many jobs do you on the forum think will be filled from the Shoals area proper?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by FirenzeVeritas:
Asssuming (and praying) all goes as planned, the Shoals will have between 1,500 and 1,800 new jobs in a relatively short time. This is not counting the auxillary businesses that will spring up out of necessity. Who knows what the final count will be. I have expressed dismay in the past that we have so many in this area wanting, even demanding, better jobs, yet choosing not to educate themselves for these positions. I understand most of these positions will involve welding. While I welcome (legal) newcomers to the area, how many jobs do you on the forum think will be filled from the Shoals area proper?

I think this area has welders stacked on top of welders... everyone has welding experience... lol.. a simple test and there could be 1000, easy!!!

And those 1000 could train the others really quickly too...

I read that early this morning, but didn't get too excited about it... the paper mill hasn't made it down there yet, so why should we get excited about another plant..
[b][color:PURPLE]I think this area has welders stacked on top of welders... everyone has welding experience... lol.. a simple test and there could be 1000, easy!!!

QUOTE]

Man if I were a welder who spent 4 or 5 years in an apprentiship learning metallurgy that would hurt my feelings. I guess if a simple test and a little OJT will make you a welder then these jobs will be less fruitful than another chicken place that at least has a one week training program. I tried not to answer this but for some reason my crap filter didnt catch the kindred post today.
I grew up in Franklin County, but live in Tupelo, Mississippi now. I'm thrilled to see the Shoals land a quality industrial project. It might not be what Toyota will be here, but it's a huge project and it WILL boost the area. Between Toyota, those spinoffs, and now this company and related support businesses that setup nearby, this region may very well be at the cusp of a great, great period in its history.
Most all the welders travel to Decatur, or other places where the pay is better. This will be great if our "City Leaders" will help the cause. I don't hear one of them talking about INDUSTRY. Which is what this area needs. I guess we can be the TEMP.Service capital of the world. OK ...low paying jobs create a need for people to make more money to get by....DRUGS are the way for a LOT of the people in this area to make extra cash, and when they find it easy to do,then they stay in and out of the temp services as a cover.They dont do it all the time....just around the 1st and the 15th. Adults CAN NOT make it on $8.00 an hour jobs people. So like so many of us that are stuck with a house in a town that is KILLING our property values , we go out of town to work. Hoping to pay our house's off so we dont take so much of a loss when and if we do sell them. Just read the paper and see for yourself the crimes in this area . Drugs and theft ...thats all you see in the Law and Order section. people selling drugs and people stealing things to sell to buy drugs. Low rent housing right in the middle of what used to be nice neighborhoods...causing the value of the property in that area to drop like a stone.I'm all for helping people who need it , but 6 people living in one house..no one has a job..and they have more visitors in 2 days than I have in 6 months tells me a little something. So when people come to look at the house..they just say we'll get back with you and are never seen again. So yeah, I am for jobs for the area,I might decide to stay. But the city has to see the drug problem and solve it or it will just be 1800 more people for drug addicts to steal from. I dont think I"m alone in thinking this way either. Well, I know no one asked for it, but thats my 2 cent worth.
twoasone, I agree with you 100 percent. I would like to see higher paying job opportunities open up in our area. It would be nice to have an ounce of hope that my child might stick around close to home after graduation and college! Right now I don't see that happening. It's hard enough now but it will become nearly impossible for the younger generation. Sad to think about.
quote:
Originally posted by MonicaParis:
I'd like to see more IT Industry here... that's where the future truly lies.

However, more jobs is good anyway you slice it.

Another missed opportunity-
When Bush's buddy Kenny Lay was screwing California with rolling blackouts, and brownouts that are NOT a good thing for IT industry, our city leaders should have been in Silacon Valley telling companies out there that we don't have any electricity supply problems here in the Shoals, and we have plenty of land and good places to put their industrial parks, and reasonable housing prices.
If they ever made the effort, I missed the article in the TD.

PS: in their defense tho, I believe that was during the time they were working to get us a golf course. Perhaps they could only concentrate on one thing at a time.
Good news is , now they could go and tell them we have a RTJ golf course. They would come in droves.
quote:
Originally posted by Heub:
I think this area has welders stacked on top of welders... everyone has welding experience... lol.. a simple test and there could be 1000, easy!!!

QUOTE]

Man if I were a welder who spent 4 or 5 years in an apprentiship learning metallurgy that would hurt my feelings. I guess if a simple test and a little OJT will make you a welder then these jobs will be less fruitful than another chicken place that at least has a one week training program. I tried not to answer this but for some reason my crap filter didnt catch the kindred post today.

Heub, you must either be a UNION welder or else you don't recognize that we have MANY MANY people in this area who CAN actually pass a welding test??? One does not have to belong to a union to know how to weld... in fact, the very best welder I have ever seen in my life was a guy who fixed his own farm equipment... never belonged to a Union nor did he ever have a "JOB" but he had many years OJT... so OJT can come in many forms... and to think that they cannot makes one not actually SEE the talents we have right here in the Shoals.. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Heub:
quote:
Originally posted by interventor:
heub,

My point exactly, most skills have to be knowledge workers to survive in todays markets. But, hooray for the jobs.

Yes, Horray for the jobs, they will need management as well!

Now THAT is an interesting idea... maybe even upper level mgt too!! Wonder what their pay scales and benefits are going to be?
quote:
Originally posted by gouldenc:
I work, and have been employed, by the Hamilton, Ontarion plant for 9 years. There are many different forms of welding carried out here. From robotics to stick, we need all forms of skilled welders. Just because railcars have been around for a long time, don't assume that it hasn't progressed into the future.

Thanks for your insight. If you can let our people know what other types of jobs will ultimately be filled, I'm sure they would appreciate it. Support staff? Supervisors?
Skilled butchers, pardon me---I think you are great -and I can tell. On the other hand as soon as I saw you cut up that chicken I knew you were the one to get for my carpal tunnel surgery! Yes, welders and all other journeymen need to be trained in their fields. Hiring just anyone is what keeps wages down and could cause train wrecks. The airline mechanic is as important or more so than that glorious handsome pilot. I do not even want the orthopedic surgeon doing my cataract surgery.
quote:
Originally posted by interventor:
This type welding is semi-technical, not the skills needed at shipyards or Anniston Army Depot, but still not for beginners.

And, yes, they will managers, and some administrative support as well.

Exactly correct. Over the last twenty years I've seen projects like this come into communities and single-handedly establish a vibrant middle class where none existed prior. Skills are important, but a great work ethic is what companies like this are searching for. If you don't have a solid work history and the ability to pass a rigorous screening and selection process, you won't get one of these jobs, but for those who do, its like winning the lottery.
quote:
Originally posted by twoasone:
Yes it is inquisitive....I'm sure my kids will have to live some where else to have a chance. I remember when there were lots of jobs here., but its to sad to think about.

This is true. In 1980 everything started a change to better we thought. When Regan was elected. Jobs started to leave going to Mexico&China as Nixon open the door to China in 1972. Reagan,Bush,Clinton now W.Bush 2 has seen that The door to China is still open. We get the jobs nobody else wants I guess. This new job has made a new job for welding teachers too. So, if you are good at welding you might want to apply to teach it.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.