Skip to main content

Two candidates for the Darwin award.

Two Texas men died Friday after they tried to jump over an open drawbridge with their car, authorities said.

Louisiana State Police responded to a single-car crash shortly after 2 a.m. at the Black Bayou Bridge about six miles south of Lake Charles. Investigators said the bridge was closed to traffic to let a boat pass.

A witness told police that the passenger got out of the car and pushed the gate arm up. The man then got back into the car as the driver drove toward the ramp at the end of the bridge, the police department said in a press release on its Facebook page.

The driver stopped briefly, reversed and then "accelerated forward in an attempt to 'jump' the ramp of the bridge." police said.

The car landed in the water and sank to the bottom. The driver was found inside the car, and the passenger was found outside the vehicle after first managing to escape, investigators said. The men, whose identities have not been revealed, were pronounced dead at the scene.

Desperation met stupidity on the corner of bad luck and despair, and the democratic party was born.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nope...not Bo or Luke in a Dodge...Alejandro and Roberto in Chevy Cruze.

Louisiana State Police say two men from Texas are now dead after attempting to jump the ramp on the Black Bayou Bridge in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana on May 24, 2019.

A witness told police that the driver of a 2016 Chevrolet Cruze stopped at the bridge, which was closed to vehicular traffic as a boat passed on the Intracoastal Waterway. The 165-foot section of the bridge on pontoons had been moved to allow the ship to pass.

The car passenger got out and pushed up a gate arm to allow the driver to continue. The driver picked up the passenger and went up to a section of the bridge that is raised as boats pass.
The driver put the car in reverse, stopped then raced up the ramp but the car landed in the water. It sank to the bottom with the driver, 23-year-old Alejandro Cazares of McAllen, Texas, in it. The other man -- 32-year-old Roberto Alejandro Moreno of Edinburg, Texas -- got out of the car but died in the river.
Investigators are working to determine whether alcohol or drugs were a factor.

Last edited by Jutu

On a more serious side/tone I will say with regards to a vehicle going into a river or body of water which is deep enough to submerge the vehicle many people perish because they think they can just open the door and get out but that is not the case.  The pressure of the water against the door when the windows are up and there is still air inside the vehicle creates such tremendous pressure against the door that most are not able to open the door.   Others think they can just roll down the window and while that is a good thing to do that often fails also because then such a torrent of water is rushing in that it presses upon the occupants to a degree that they are trapped in their soon to be watery coffin.  

There is a relatively cheap tool though that comes in as a lifesaver if you were ever in that horrible challenge or situation.  Two forms of a fairly inexpensive device to give you a chance in such a situation are below:

Device #1. and. device #2. are devices that you can purchase and have on hand in a vehicle to be called upon if needed and you find yourself in a situation where you must exit the vehicle in water.  Keeping one's head and senses though are also critical in knowing what to do and how to use what tools are at your discretion.  

I have the one shown under the device #2 link on my keychain and I also have provided one to my granddaughter since she is beginning to drive and I just want to have one in her possession just in case.   No one wants to ever be in that situation and most, if not all, on here will never be but hopefully if someone is they will have one of these tools and enough knowledge of how to use it.

gbrk posted:

On a more serious side/tone I will say with regards to a vehicle going into a river or body of water which is deep enough to submerge the vehicle many people perish because they think they can just open the door and get out but that is not the case.  The pressure of the water against the door when the windows are up and there is still air inside the vehicle creates such tremendous pressure against the door that most are not able to open the door.   Others think they can just roll down the window and while that is a good thing to do that often fails also because then such a torrent of water is rushing in that it presses upon the occupants to a degree that they are trapped in their soon to be watery coffin.  

There is a relatively cheap tool though that comes in as a lifesaver if you were ever in that horrible challenge or situation.  Two forms of a fairly inexpensive device to give you a chance in such a situation are below:

Device #1. and. device #2. are devices that you can purchase and have on hand in a vehicle to be called upon if needed and you find yourself in a situation where you must exit the vehicle in water.  Keeping one's head and senses though are also critical in knowing what to do and how to use what tools are at your discretion.  

I have the one shown under the device #2 link on my keychain and I also have provided one to my granddaughter since she is beginning to drive and I just want to have one in her possession just in case.   No one wants to ever be in that situation and most, if not all, on here will never be but hopefully if someone is they will have one of these tools and enough knowledge of how to use it.

That reminds me of my parents...winter...summer...fall or spring...before  we drove across a bridge they would make us put down our windows. I still catch myself doing it although I have a short handled hammer in the glove compartment.

8 oz. Stubby Claw Hammer 95929 alternate photo #1

Seeing that hammer reminded me of a show I watched, maybe a blooper show, where it showed someone trying to break out a car window, from the outside, but failing miserably.  I was amazed at just how difficult it was for the person to actually break the drivers side driver and passenger windows when they were rolled up.   

I'm pretty sure that where I saw this was on a show about news bloopers and the news story was about thieves who would come by and break out your car window and steal from inside it.  in these cases the reporter who was suppose to break the window easily had the most difficult time hitting and breaking the window with a hammer.

Come to think about it I believe it was more difficult because he was hitting the window with the hammer's head fully striking the glass.  I believe, if I remember right, that the glass needed to be hit with something sharp or to a point rather than a flat surface as the hammer presented.  They ended up finally breaking the glass but it took many strikes including some very hard blows.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.