Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Look at that time line for finish 2054... Reminds me when I was a kid and parents drove us to the beach and remembering the beginning of work on Hwy 157, beginning at MSC limits, converting the rest of the 2-lane into 4-lane hwy, connecting to the NEW I-65 back in 1960's. That project didn't get official funding until 1980's and completed 2007. I may have lived to see that one finished. Doubt I will see the 2054 job finished.

Palin tried to kill No. 19, the Road to Nowhere.  Like so many federal projects, it rises from the grave to haunt us again.  Part of the problem with No. 7, the Alabama Northern Beltway is the long timeline.  Birmingham lost 90,000 in population since the plan began.  Another large US city killed by decades of Democrat management.  No. 4, the Big Dig – a classic government boondoggle. “Initial estimates were around $2.6 billion, but when it was completed, the final cost, according to Boston.com, ended up being $14.5 billion. Boston.com also reported that interest from the project could cost another $10 billion.”   No 3, the NYC subway project is the poster child for all government works. “The Second Avenue subway line has been in the works since the 1920s. The plan finally started gain” Originally, a private venture, government thought it could do the job faster.

Remember how long it took the Patton Island bridge built. 

jtdavis posted:

California wants a 68 billion dollar road, why? The military could get a couple of hammers and a screwdriver for that much.

JT, proof you don't followup.  Yes, the government, including DoD, screw up and drive up costs.  However, the over priced tools was an exception.  The finance office got the bill, sent it to audit.  The bill was rejected and a much smaller cost negotiated .

Plus, it was a high speed rail line, not a road.  Except, for two lines, I know of none that are self supporting.  All the rest are taxpayer subsidized. 

Last edited by direstraits
direstraits posted:
jtdavis posted:

California wants a 68 billion dollar road, why? The military could get a couple of hammers and a screwdriver for that much.

JT, proof you don't followup.  Yes, the government, including DoD, screw up and drive up costs.  However, the over priced tools was an exception.  The finance office got the bill, sent it to audit.  The bill was rejected and a much smaller cost negotiated .

Plus, it was a high speed rail line, not a road.  Except, for two lines, I know of none that are self supporting.  All the rest are taxpayer subsidized. 

But tax money is free, right??? ��

Sorry could not resist

Think I will steer clear of subsidized High speed rail lines....Rather take my chances riding on "Great Smokey Mountain Railroad". Loved the old steam engine & the massive cloud of smoke billowing from the smoke stack. Nothing High Speed on this ride. Maybe 20MPH.. They had a Diesel engine but didn't ride it, maybe next time.

jtdavis posted:

Sorry could not resist

Sometimes this forum needs to be lightened up.

The bill was rejected and a much smaller cost negotiated .

Did they throw in a pair of pliers?

Those incidents used to be taught in the Army Finance Corps school as examples of the need to examine bills -- sending the suspicious ones to audit. 

A better example would be the coffee maker for the B-52 bomber.  The cost was outrageous because the engineer writing the specifications for the thing made them so strict.  The joke was that if the B-52 crashed, any survivors could have a nice cup of coffee as the coffee maker would survive the crash.  Had to pay that bill as the contractor met the specs, even if over engineered to the max. 

Old WWII joke, an elephant is a mouse designed to government specifications.

River Runner posted:

Think I will steer clear of subsidized High speed rail lines....Rather take my chances riding on "Great Smokey Mountain Railroad". Loved the old steam engine & the massive cloud of smoke billowing from the smoke stack. Nothing High Speed on this ride. Maybe 20MPH.. They had a Diesel engine but didn't ride it, maybe next time.

___

In  New Mexico and Colorado, try the Cumbres & Toltec and the Durango & Silverton narrow-gauge railroads.  Both provide a great experience, with miles and miles of post-card quality scenery. 

HIFLYER2 posted:
direstraits posted:
jtdavis posted:

Sorry could not resist

Well ole Buddy, I prefer to think of it as using our tax dollars to benefit the citizens of this country rather than sending it all to Israel, or Iraq, or worse yet, to buy more airplanes and tanks to go to storage in the desert, or even worse than that, starting another war. 

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.