4. Christianity is extremely egocentric
  5. Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality
  6. Christianity breeds authoritarianism
  7. Christianity is cruel
  8. Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific
  9. Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex
  10. Christianity produces sexual misery
  11. Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality
  12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils
  13. Christianity depreciates the natural world
  14. Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization
  15. Christianity sanctions slavery
  16. Christianity is misogynistic
  17. Christianity is homophobic
  18. The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings
  19. The Bible is riddled with contradictions
  20. Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions 

1. A friend who read the first draft of this manuscript notes: “My moronic sister-in-law once told me that God found her parking spots near the front door at Wal-mart! Years later, when she developed a brain tumor, I concluded that God must have gotten tired of finding parking places for her and gave her the tumor so that she could get handicapped plates.” As Nietzsche put it in The Anti-Christ: “that little hypocrites and half-crazed people dare to imagine that on their account the laws of nature are constantly broken—such an enhancement of every kind of selfishness to infinity, to impudence, cannot be branded with sufficient contempt. And yet Christianity owes its triumph to this pitiable flattery of personal vanity.”

2. The Westboro Baptist Church directly addresses the question of its hatefulness and cruelty on its web site (www.godhates***s.com): "Why do you preach hate? Because the Bible preaches hate. For every one verse about God's mercy, love, compassion, etc., there are two verses about His vengeance, hatred, wrath, etc."

3. The repeated mention of this sin in medieval ecclesiastical writings leads one to wonder how widespread this practice was among the Christian faithful, including the Christian clergy. One 8th-century penitential (list of sins and punishments) quoted in A.A. Hadden’s Councils and Ecclesiastical Documents states: "If a cleric has fornicated with a quadruped let him do penance for, if he is a simple cleric, two years, if a deacon, three years, if a priest, seven years, if a bishop ten years."

4. Given his religious background, and that his cult mixed Christianity with UFO beliefs, Applewhite was quite probably aware of the divine approbation of self-castration in Matthew 19:12: "For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs , which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Any list that cites Wesboro Baptist Church in support of an argument against Christianity in general is weak stuff indeed.

Out of curiosity, I clicked on No. 17, since the "gay" community often makes this claim.  The example of the execution of Edward II is based on information that can not be verified and is very likely false, according to re****ble historians.  It is the Thirteenth-Century equivalent of a bogus viral e-mail.

http://www.timeshighereducatio...asp?storycode=176011

The example of the execution of Edward II is based on information that can not be verified and is very likely false, according to re****ble historians.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Likely to be false? Could be, but given their grisly history it's very very believable. If it didn't happen you have to wonder why the story would have been fabricated. A warning to homosexuals maybe? Who knows. Likely to be false does not mean it is false, and as I posted, given the history it very well could be true. They loved nasty executions.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

The example of the execution of Edward II is based on information that can not be verified and is very likely false, according to re****ble historians.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Likely to be false? Could be, but given their grisly history it's very very believable. If it didn't happen you have to wonder why the story would have been fabricated. A warning to homosexuals maybe? Who knows. Likely to be false does not mean it is false, and as I posted, given the history it very well could be true. They loved nasty executions.

Now that you have made that weak-as-water reply to what I posted about Edward II, you might wish to try to respond to what I said about the weakness of any argument against Christianity that relies on the antics of the  Westboro Baptist Church. You conveniently skipped that one, Bw.

No I didn't "skip" the westboro church, go back and read my post. As for the reply about Edward, you have no idea if it's true or not, not even the brits know if it's true or not. How is it "weak" to say it certainly could have happened?  Is it because everyone is just supposed to take YOUR word for things? Go argue with them about it.

I've just converted bittern'poo's last post to Ebonics.  Does that make sense, no, but it's more fun than obsessing about the absence of God. 

"Yo Now dat you gots made dat weak-as-water reply ta what ah posted 'boutEdward II, you might wish ta try ta respond ta what ah said 'boutthe weakness o' any argument against Christianity dat relies on da antics o' da Westboro Baptist Church. You conveniently skipped dat one, Bw Jus' like Orenthawl James"

The problem I’ve had with this belief in Christianity movement started way back when I was in high school getting ready to play my first varsity basketball game. The preacher was praying for us to be given the strength and ability to triumph over our adversary in the locker room next door. Now having been taught to that point that there is only one god I found myself wondering who they were praying to and if it was the same god how were we both going to receive this blessing being asked of him. If indeed it really was a him. Started me down a whole new investigative path for answers. The journey has been an eye opener.

No I didn't "skip" the westboro church, go back and read my post. As for the reply about Edward, you have no idea if it's true or not, not even the brits know if it's true or not. How is it "weak" to say it certainly could have happened?  Is it because everyone is just supposed to take YOUR word for things? Go argue with them about it.

___

You mentioned them, but you did NOT respond to what I wrote about them: "Any list that cites Wesboro Baptist Church in support of an argument against Christianity in general is weak stuff indeed."

That's your opinion. I don't know what kind of reply you wanted but I gave you the one that is true. They're a church whether or not you like it. Nothing weak about that, it's the truth. I don't ever see a lot of condemnation from other churches about what they do, and I think a whole lot of christians think, "ohhhhh, lol, look at them, well they are right you know, gawd does hate f***s. It's their own fault for choosing to be like that".

1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 18, & 19 is only a few of the reasons I walked away from Christianity. The lying, cheating, pretending, & many other things going on within the church wasn't for me. I wanted honestly, realness, & compassion for others.

If Heaven really does exist, then I figure I have more of a chance of going there than those playing church.

Originally Posted by semiannualchick:

1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 18, & 19 is only a few of the reasons I walked away from Christianity. The lying, cheating, pretending, & many other things going on within the church wasn't for me. I wanted honestly, realness, & compassion for others.

If Heaven really does exist, then I figure I have more of a chance of going there than those playing church.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

“My moronic sister-in-law once told me that God found her parking spots near the front door at Wal-mart! Years later, when she developed a brain tumor, I concluded that God must have gotten tired of finding parking places for her and gave her the tumor so that she could get handicapped plates."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved that because I have heard people make such idiotic statements. 

Semi, although I don't agree with anything on that list, I think I'm beginning to understand why you do. I think you didn't so much walk away from CHRISTIANITY as you walked away from certain CHRISTIANS.

There is a rock band that I really like, but a lot of their fans are NOT the kind of people I want to be around, so I never go to their concerts. But I guarantee I listen to their albums a LOT. I won't give up the band just because I don't like their fans.

I DO understand that there are a lot of hypocrites who attend church. I know a guy who, every other word out of his mouth is "Praise the Lord".  And yet, this is the same guy who told the other members of his band that the gig they played at the nursing home EVERY WEEK FOR YEARS, was a freebie and they were donating their time to a good cause. Only it turns out he had been getting paid all along and put the money in his own pocket instead of giving the other band members their cut. I honestly don't think I could sit next to him in church. But that doesn't stop me from reading the Bible and praying.

Don't confuse the people with the product. God is wonderful. Some of His children are not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, without Christ, neither you or anyone else has any chance at all.

Originally Posted by O No!:

Semi, although I don't agree with anything on that list, I think I'm beginning to understand why you do. I think you didn't so much walk away from CHRISTIANITY as you walked away from certain CHRISTIANS.

There is a rock band that I really like, but a lot of their fans are NOT the kind of people I want to be around, so I never go to their concerts. But I guarantee I listen to their albums a LOT. I won't give up the band just because I don't like their fans.

I DO understand that there are a lot of hypocrites who attend church. I know a guy who, every other word out of his mouth is "Praise the Lord".  And yet, this is the same guy who told the other members of his band that the gig they played at the nursing home EVERY WEEK FOR YEARS, was a freebie and they were donating their time to a good cause. Only it turns out he had been getting paid all along and put the money in his own pocket instead of giving the other band members their cut. I honestly don't think I could sit next to him in church. But that doesn't stop me from reading the Bible and praying.

Don't confuse the people with the product. God is wonderful. Some of His children are not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semi's problem is that she has allowed bitterness to devour her to such a degree that it has totally ruined her persona the bitterness comes out in all of her posts. If she is not willing to deal whatever it is/was that has caused her to go this direction, it will totally destroy her.

Without Christ, we have the chance to live a fulfilling, whole, good, meaningful life.  Without Christ, we can live a life based on knowledge, honesty, true charity, purposeful curiosity, and joy.  Without Christ, we can live for the sake of life, not some bogus promise of an afterlife for which there is no evidence other than the accumulated superstitions of ignoramuses over thousands of years since our pre-scientific time.

With Christ, one lives a life of servitude, obedience, predetermined philosophy, ignorance, cruelty, hatred, and bigotry.

I'm happy to take my chances as a free soul.

DF

That's your opinion. I don't know what kind of reply you wanted but I gave you the one that is true. They're a church whether or not you like it. Nothing weak about that, it's the truth. I don't ever see a lot of condemnation from other churches about what they do, and I think a whole lot of christians think, "ohhhhh, lol, look at them, well they are right you know, gawd does hate f***s. It's their own fault for choosing to be like that".

What you "think" about how Christians view the Westboro Church's action is not worth a wad of snail spit.  You are apparently doomed to "think" the worst, however unlikely it might be, in order to bolster confidence in your shaky, untenable position. If you are halfway awake and alert, you have to know that Westboro's actions have been widely condemned by many, mayn churches and many, many individual Christians.  To "think" otherwise is absurd--and truly pitiful..

Originally Posted by Not Shallow Not Slim:

Without Christ, we have the chance to live a fulfilling, whole, good, meaningful life.  Without Christ, we can live a life based on knowledge, honesty, true charity, purposeful curiosity, and joy.  Without Christ, we can live for the sake of life, not some bogus promise of an afterlife for which there is no evidence other than the accumulated superstitions of ignoramuses over thousands of years since our pre-scientific time.

With Christ, one lives a life of servitude, obedience, predetermined philosophy, ignorance, cruelty, hatred, and bigotry.

I'm happy to take my chances as a free soul.

DF

Originally Posted by O No!:

Never thought of it that way before, you could be right.

If He does exist & is wonderful, it would be nice to know how He can call those people His that are not so wonderful.

Originally Posted by Extra-260:

Semi's problem is that she has allowed bitterness to devour her to such a degree that it has totally ruined her persona the bitterness comes out in all of her posts. If she is not willing to deal whatever it is/was that has caused her to go this direction, it will totally destroy her.

The bitterness comes out in my post because I mean for it to. I don't tiptoe around anyone. My friends/family will tell you I don't pretend with anyone. I am exactly what you see.

I have dealt with it, now I don't know what to do with it, or if it's real or not.

The only thing that could destroy me is something happening to my husband, my children or my grandbabies.

BTW, don't concern yourself with me. You need to deal with your own shortcomings. For someone that claims to be a Christian, it sure doesn't come across in your post. All I read is hate & bitterness toward your fellow man.

What you "think" about how Christians view the Westboro Church's action is not worth a wad of snail spit.  You are apparently doomed to "think" the worst, however unlikely it might be, in order to bolster confidence in your shaky, untenable position. If you are halfway awake and alert, you have to know that Westboro's actions have been widely condemned by many, mayn churches and many, many individual Christians.  To "think" otherwise is absurd--and truly pitiful..

What does the WBC do that is against scripture?  Your book says to hate homosexuals.  Your book says that blind obedience is required for salvation?

Why is the WBC wrong?

DF

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.