Skip to main content

Fox News - 21 Questions Answered About Mormon Faith

Since there has been much discussion about the LDS Church here on the forums recently, I saw this on Fox News's website today, and thought that it might clear up some things that have been said on here. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------
Mitt Romney’s run for president has put his Mormon faith in the spotlight, but the religion remains a mystery to most.

FOXNews.com compiled a list of 21 questions representing some widely held beliefs and misconceptions about Mormonism and posed them to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The Church objected to answering some of the questions on the grounds that they misrepresent the basic tenets of the Mormon religion.

"Many of these questions are typically found on anti-Mormon blogs or Web sites which aim to misrepresent or distort Mormon doctrines," the Church said in a statement. "Several of these questions do not represent ... any serious attempt to depict the core values and beliefs of its members."

Here are the questions and how the Church responded:

Q: Why do some call the Church a cult?

A: For the most part, this seems to stem from a lack of understanding about the Church and its core doctrines and beliefs. Under those circumstances it is too easy to label a religion or other organization that is not well-known with an inflammatory term like 'cult.' Famed scholar of religion Martin Marty has said a cult means a church you don't personally happen to like. We don't believe any organization should be subjected to a label that has come to be as pejorative as that one.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God?

A: Mormons believe Jesus Christ is literally the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer, who died for the sins of humankind and rose from the dead on the third day with an immortal body. God, the Father, also has an immortal body.

Q: Does the Church believe in the divinity of Jesus?

A: Mormons believe Jesus Christ is literally the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer, who died for the sins of humankind and rose from the dead on the third day with an immortal body. God, the Father, also has an immortal body.

Q: Does the Church believe that God is a physical being?

Q: If so, does the Church believe that God lives on a planet named Kolob?

A: 'Kolob' is a term found in ancient records translated by Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith did not provide a full description or explanation of Kolob nor did he assign the idea particular significance in relation to the Church’s core doctrines.

Q: Where is the planet Kolob? What significance does the planet have to Mormons?

A: 'Kolob' is a term found in ancient records translated by Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith did not provide a full description or explanation of Kolob nor did he assign the idea particular significance in relation to the Church’s core doctrines.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe that God and Mary had physical sex to conceive Jesus?

A: The Church does not claim to know how Jesus was conceived but believes the Bible and Book of Mormon references to Jesus being born of the Virgin Mary.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe Jesus appeared in North America after his crucifixion and resurrection?

A: The appearance of Jesus in the Western Hemisphere shortly after his resurrection is described in the Book of Mormon. Mormons believe that when Christ told his disciples in the Bible He had other 'sheep' who should receive his message he was referring to those people in the Western Hemisphere.

Q: If so, when did this happen? And under what circumstances?

A: The appearance of Jesus in the Western Hemisphere shortly after his resurrection is described in the Book of Mormon. Mormons believe that when Christ told his disciples in the Bible He had other 'sheep' who should receive his message he was referring to those people in the Western Hemisphere.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe its followers can become "gods and goddesses" after death?

A: We believe that the apostle Peter’s biblical reference to partaking of the divine nature and the apostle Paul’s reference to being 'joint heirs with Christ' reflect the intent that children of God should strive to emulate their Heavenly Father in every way. Throughout the eternities, Mormons believe, they will reverence and worship God the Father and Jesus Christ. The goal is not to equal them or to achieve parity with them but to imitate and someday acquire their perfect goodness, love and other divine attributes.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe that women can only gain access to heaven with a special pass or codewords?

A: No.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe that women must serve men on both Earth and in heaven?

A: Absolutely not. Mormons believe that women and men are complete equals before God and in relation to the blessings available in the Church.

Q: Is there such a thing as Mormon "underwear"? if so, are all Mormons required to wear it? What does it symbolize?

A: Like members of many religious faiths, Latter-day Saints wear religious clothing. But members of other faiths — typically those involved in permanent pastoral ministries or religious services — usually wear religious garments as outer ceremonial vestments or symbols of recognition. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, garments are worn beneath street clothing as a personal and private reminder of commitments to God.

Garments are considered sacred by Church members and are not regarded as a topic for casual conversation.

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe in the existence of another physical planet or planets, where Mormons will "rule" after their death and ascension?

A: No.

Q: What specifically does the Mormon Church say about African-Americans and Native Americans?

A: Mormons believe that all mankind are sons and daughters of God and should be loved and respected as such. The blessings of the gospel are available to all.

Q: What are or were the "Golden Plates"?

A: The Book of Mormon was translated by Joseph Smith from records made on plates of gold, similar to metal plates that have been found in other ancient cultures. It contained a history of peoples in the Western Hemisphere including an appearance by the Savior to them. As such, the Book of Mormon is considered a second testimony of Jesus Christ.

Q: Are consumption of alcohol and tobacco prohibited or simply discouraged?

A: It is against the teachings of the Church to use alcohol and tobacco or to drink tea and coffee.

Q: Does the Church also ban the consumption of "hot drinks"? And does that apply specifically to caffeinated drinks?

A: It is against the teachings of the Church to use alcohol and tobacco or to drink tea and coffee.

Q: Why do Mormons go from door to door?

A: Christ admonished his disciples to take the gospel to the world. The Church follows that admonition and sends missionaries throughout the world.

Q: What do the Mormons believe about the family?

A: Mormons believe that the family is the foundation for this life and the life to come.

Q: Can someone who may never marry in life have eternal marriage?

A: God will not withhold blessings from any of his children who may not have the opportunity to marry in this life.

Click Here For More Info
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mormons I have met have impressed me greatly. I don't agree with every aspect of their beliefs, but that is the way with anything I expect.

Mormons typically put back a 1 year supply of food, correct? I have heard reasons which I don't really agree with, but I do think its a good idea. It's always good to be prepared.

Also, the healthy lifestyle is impressive...takes a lot of willpower Smiler I don't think I would make a good Mormon because of this, but those with that lifestyle impress the heck out of me.
quote:
Originally posted by maddog1331:
Mormons I have met have impressed me greatly. I don't agree with every aspect of their beliefs, but that is the way with anything I expect.

Mormons typically put back a 1 year supply of food, correct? I have heard reasons which I don't really agree with, but I do think its a good idea. It's always good to be prepared.

Also, the healthy lifestyle is impressive...takes a lot of willpower Smiler I don't think I would make a good Mormon because of this, but those with that lifestyle impress the heck out of me.

Thats correct. We are encouraged to have a 1 year supply of food. My family probably has 2 years worth... I don't know. We will typically incorporate it into our food to avoid spoilage. Its a pretty good thing to do I think, because you never know when emergencies happen. Its not just for disasters, tornadoes, earth quakes, things like that... I've heard of families where the father had lost his job, and for several months they were living off of their food supply. It may not have been gourmet meals with all the stuff they particularly liked, but they were thankful they had it when all was said and done.
quote:
Originally posted by maddog1331:
I believe they chaged their ways with reference to african-americans, and ebrace all peoples now?

I don't know about the women, I thought that they considered each sex as equal but each had different roles?

Maybe a Mormon can get on here and advise, I am just advising from what I have heard in the past.

There was a time in the church where people of African descent were not allowed to receive the priesthood. This was changed in 1978...Here's a link to the official declaration the church made when the change was brought about:

Official Declaration

As to the church's stance on women, we believe that husbands and wives are equal as co-partners in a marriage. They do have different roles and responsibilities, but that each is just as important. Below you'll find an interesting talk that was given in the most recent church-wide General Conference about the importance of women in the church.

Mothers Who Know
Can a black couple be married in the eyes of the Mormon church? I have always been told that to be married in the eyes of this church, a couple must be married in a Mormon temple. I also understand blacks are not allowed in such temples, therefore, they can't be married in the eyes of the church.

Also, the Mormon Church has single (unmarried elders). The Holy Bible states an elder must be the husband of one wife.

Third, how do Mormons explain the adding to the Holy Bible by the Smith text?

Fourth, has the church not recently been accused of baptizing for dead Holocost victims, in other words Jews, without the consent of their descendants, etc.?
quote:
Originally posted by FirenzeVeritas:
Can a black couple be married in the eyes of the Mormon church? I have always been told that to be married in the eyes of this church, a couple must be married in a Mormon temple. I also understand blacks are not allowed in such temples, therefore, they can't be married in the eyes of the church.

Also, the Mormon Church has single (unmarried elders). The Holy Bible states an elder must be the husband of one wife.

Third, how do Mormons explain the adding to the Holy Bible by the Smith text?

Fourth, has the church not recently been accused of baptizing for dead Holocost victims, in other words Jews, without the consent of their descendants, etc.?

1. Yes, blacks can be married in the temple. The blessings of the temple are open to all members as long as they are living the commandments. Also, bishops who preside over the local congregations may conduct weddings outside the temple... my dad did a few when he was the bishop several years ago. The main difference is that weddings done inside the temple are considered to be "for time and all eternity" and not just "til death do you part." Weddings performed outside the temple are for this life only.

2. I believe what you are referring to here is what is written in the New Testament about the requirements for bishops:

1 Timothy Chapter 3:
1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

In our church, the office of Elder and the office of Bishop are two separate things with different functions.

3. This question derives from two verses out of the book of Revelation that says:

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the abook of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Many would read this, see its at the end of the Bible, and then take that it speaks of the entire Bible, when in fact it is merely talking about the Book of Revelation that John had written. I think he knew that it was going to be difficult for people to understand, and so in order to keep it from being changed or modified, he included that at the end. You have to remember that in his day, the Bible was not compiled into one book as we have it today. Many councils were called many years later and they decided which to keep in and which to throw out. In fact, I think that there were other writings in the New Testament that were actually written after the book of Revelation. Also, verses saying similar things are found all throughout the Old Testament (I could show you where, but I don't have all my books with me right now... they're at home).

4. I haven't heard any claims of complaints from holocaust victims' families. The way it works is members of the church do their own genealogy and family history, compile names of their own descendants, and then submit them so that the vicarious work for the dead can be done in the temples. Typically they do not submit names to the temple that are not their own descendants, and the only exceptions that I know of are when the work was performed for the Founding Fathers of our country in the St. George, UT temple.
I know, personally, a few Mormons. It is most amusing that since Romney's candidacy for President has occurred, Mormons have been trying to portray their religion as "normal." How do they explain the revelations originally received by Joseph Smith as divine, when they are constantly upgraded them for political and economic expediency? Brigham Young had 36 wives. Jeffs, who was recently convicted of instigating rape against a young girl, has many wives, as well.

True Christianty is solid from the Bible and it does not change with the passage of time. The Bible is the Word of God, and anything else is just a sham or deceptive. The Mormon Headquarters in Salt Lake City spends millions of dollars buying off evidences of how false the Mormon religion really is. The witnesses to Joseph Smith's "gold plates" all recanted their testimony, in writing and verbally, before their deaths. Documents of those recantations that were later found were bought by the Mormon Church to hide from the followers.

Many other evidences of what a false religion it is have been kept away from Mormons.

There are support groups available for ex-Mormons who have learned these truths, and left the Mormon Church. It is very traumatic to learn that a teaching one has believed all of one's life turns out to be totally false and deceptive.
Just as an FYI, Warren Jeffs was never a member of our church. He was the leader of an offshoot polygamist church, that separated from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a loong time ago. In our church, polygamy hasn't been practiced for well over a hundred years, and anyone found practicing it is excommunicated.

I posted a blog on MySpace back in September about my feelings about polygamy and Warren Jeffs. I will post it to the forum when I get home today, because I don't have access to Myspace at work. For now, suffice it to say that Jeffs has done some very scary things, and that there's probably many human rights violations that have been committed among that group of people.
Here's an interesting write up from the Washingon Post:

Washington Post: Are Mormons Christian?

Are Mormons Christians?
By Michael Otterson

In the 177 years since its founding, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has grown to become the fourth or fifth largest church in the United States. Yet poll after poll has shown that a sizable minority of Americans still acknowledges some discomfort about the “Mormon” faith, and many more who readily admit knowing little about its teachings.

Last week, the intensity of the national debate about Mormons reached a new high in this country, but I suspect the average American hasn’t been enlightened much about what Latter-day Saints believe and practice. In particular, the most commonly discussed question still being asked is whether “Mormons” are Christian, or whether their views are sufficiently unorthodox to warrant the pejorative term “cult.”

Because of its long-declared position of neutrality in matters of party politics, the Church has kept clear of the political debate but shown itself willing to engage in discussion about its beliefs.

Swedish theologian Krister Stendahl, Lutheran Bishop of Stockholm and the former dean of Harvard Divinity School, offers three rules of engagement when trying to understand faiths other than your own. Space in this column allows reference to only the first: When trying to understand a religion, first ask its adherents.

The question, “Are Mormons Christian?” is a good starting point for this discussion. When some conservative Protestants say Mormons aren’t Christian, it is deeply offensive to Latter-day Saints. Yet when Latter-day Saints assert their Christianity, some of those same Christians bitterly resent it. Why? Because both sides are using the same terms to describe different things.

When someone says Mormons aren’t Christian – and I’m trying not to break Stendahl’s first rule here by interpreting conservative Christian thought incorrectly – he or she usually means that Mormons don’t embrace the traditional interpretation of the Bible that includes the Trinity. “Our Jesus” is somehow different from “their Jesus.” Further, they mean that some Mormon teachings are so far outside Christian orthodoxy of past centuries that they constitute almost a new religion.

The irony is that most Latter-day Saints wouldn’t argue with those statements. When a Mormon says he or she is Christian, they are not trying to minimize differences or fudge the issues. Mormons are well aware of the many deep doctrinal differences with other Christians. For instance, Mormons reject the Trinity as non-biblical, and believe the concept to be the product of the creeds that emerged from the 4th and 5th centuries. Further, while embracing the Bible (the King James version is preferred), they don’t interpret it the same way as some Protestants – for instance, that the earth was literally created in six days of 24 hours. Neither do they believe that the scriptural canon was closed with a period and an exclamation mark after the death of the apostles, but that God is perfectly able to talk to prophets today as He did in ancient times.

But for Mormons, these belief differences have nothing to do with whether or not they are Christian in the true meaning of the word. Mormons believe in the Jesus of the Bible, the same that was born at Bethlehem, grew up in Nazareth, preached His gospel in Galilee and Judea, healed the sick, raised the dead, and finally offered Himself as a sinless ransom for the sins of the world. They believe that Jesus Christ was literally resurrected, that He lives today, and that He is the only name under heaven by which mankind can be saved. This is the Jesus whose name is depicted on the front of every Mormon place of worship. This is the Jesus in whose name every Mormon prays and every sermon is preached. This is the Jesus whose body and blood are commemorated in weekly worship services by Latter-day Saints from Nigeria to New Zealand, from Michigan to Mongolia. For Latter-day Saints who try to live their lives as they believe Jesus taught, assertions that they aren’t Christian are as bewildering as they are wounding.

Mormons have no argument with assertions that they are not “creedal Christians,” or not “orthodox” Christians or “Trinitarian Christians.” Frankly, the whole point of Mormonism is that it is different. Just how different is best explained not by pastors of other faiths, or by secular journalists or by those whose self-interest lies in marginalizing a growing religion, but by Mormons themselves. For those interested in the basics of Mormon belief, two good starting points are:

-Core Beliefs and Practices
-Mormons Speaking For Themselves

In their 177 years of history, Mormons have felt the sting of persecution. Even today, extremists emerge occasionally who would seemingly wish to turn the clock back to the 19th century. But for the most part, Mormons are now seen simply as part of the religious mosaic that makes up the United States. Senator John Kennedy made a speech in 1960 that bears quoting at some length – and I’m not talking about the speech about his Catholicism that has been much quoted of late. Less than two weeks after delivering the famous address in Houston, Kennedy spoke from the pulpit of the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City.

“Tonight I speak for all Americans,” he said, “in expressing our gratitude to the Mormon people – for their pioneer spirit, their devotion to culture and learning, their example of industry and self-reliance. But I am particularly in their debt tonight for their battle to make religious liberty a living reality – for having proven to the world that people of different faiths of different views could flourish harmoniously in our midst…”

Kennedy added: “They suffered persecution and exile, at the hands of Americans whose own ancestors, ironically enough, had fled here to escape the curse of intolerance. But they never faltered in their devotion to the principle of religious liberty - not for themselves alone, but for all mankind. And in the 11th article of faith, Prophet Joseph Smith not only declared in ringing tones: ‘We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience" - he also set forth the belief that all men should be allowed "the same privilege. Let them worship how, where, or what they may.’

“And what has been true of the Mormons has been true of countless other religious faiths - Jews, Quakers, Catholics, Baptists, Unitarians, Christian Scientists, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and many, many others. All encountered resistance and oppression. All stuck by both their rights and their country. And in time the fruits of liberty were theirs to share as well; and the very diversity of their beliefs enriched our Nation's spiritual strength… Many a great nation has been torn by religious feuds and holy wars - but never the United States of America. For here diversity has led to unity - liberty has led to strength. And today that strength - that spiritual, moral strength - is needed as never before.”
It would take me half the day to show the numerous ways in which these Mormon "explanations" ahve been torqued, falsified and smokescreened up to deceive readers concerning the TRUTH of Mormon cultishness and heresy. Just one example--The Q and A below:

Q: Does the Mormon Church believe that God and Mary had physical sex to conceive Jesus?

A: The Church does not claim to know how Jesus was conceived but believes the Bible and Book of Mormon references to Jesus being born of the Virgin Mary.

The Mormon Church and its alleged "Prophets" and "Apostles" have long held that Jesus was begotten via sexual intercourse between Mary and a God with a physical body and that He was begotten physically in the same manner in which human beings are naturally begotten:

Consider the words of Brigham Young:

"The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood---was begotten of his Father as we were of our fathers" (Journal of Discourses vol.8, p.115); and "when the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness [flesh and blood]. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (Journal of Discourses, vol.1, p.50).

See also in the link below numerous quotations from high Mormon sources that characterize Jesus' conception as a natural event involving the physical body of Mary and the allegedly physical body in which God was said to dwell when He allegedly imporegnated Mary in a sexual manner of the kind normally transacted between male and female human beings. This material is not some kind of wacky slanderous assault on Mormonism. It rests on actual quotations from prime sources within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints--the Mormons themselves. And if Mormons try to tell you that there were "some Mormons" who held to this notion in the past, but that the church no longer believes and teaches it, then ask them HOW and WHY Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and other Presidents, Apostles, etc. ever developed these allegedly abandoned concepts in the first palce. Joseph and Brigham claimed to receive their revelations directly from God. If Young's statement above is "no longer true," it was not true when he made it and he was thus uttering false prophecy

http://www.mormonwiki.org/Conception_of_Jesus

The "answer" above ("The Church does not claim to know how Jesus was conceived but believes the Bible and Book of Mormon references to Jesus being born of the Virgin Mary.") is hellishly devious. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are only two of several supposedly authoritative sources of "truth" for Mormons. The utterances of their supposed "Prophets" are taken to also be authoritative. I have not checked the BOM to see just what it says about the virgin birth, but I suspect the Mormon Church's citation of only these two sources was done to avoid having to disclaim other and strange contentions about the conception of Jesus as taught in other sources held authoritative by Mormons.

Ask yourself how the Mormon Church can say it "does not claim to know how Jesus was conceived" in the face of all the documented evidence of how its many spokespersons--including its "Prophets" and "Appstles" have had to say on the matter.

Consider then--If they have fudged on this Q & A, as they obviously have, is it not reasonable to suspect that they have smokescreened many if not all of the rest of their "answers."?
Only one of those quotes on that link says that physical sex ever took place in the conception of Jesus, and that was written by Robert Rees, a scholar and writer... but certainly not the official authority on church doctrine. He writes his opinion and thoughts on scripture and doctrine, and that is all. They all repeatedly say that God was the literal father of Jesus, but never claim that sexual intercourse was part of the conception process. Was sexual intercourse part of that process? I don't know. I thought one quote on there was rather astute in saying:

"I don't really care, one way or the other. Honestly, God can do no wrong, and since I believe Jesus was His only begotten son in the Flesh, the mechanics are irrelevant to me. OK, that being said, the Church does not have an official position on the mechanics."

Does it matter if it happened that way or by some other way? Not really. Either way I know that Jesus Christ is God's son. That's really all that matters. God does not err, and if that's the way it happened, then so be it. And if it didn't, then that's fine too. Either way, the statement that was made above wasn't a "smoke screen tactic."
quote:
Originally posted by FoshaBen:
Only one of those quotes on that link says that physical sex ever took place in the conception of Jesus, and that was written by Robert Rees, a scholar and writer... but certainly not the official authority on church doctrine. He writes his opinion and thoughts on scripture and doctrine, and that is all. They all repeatedly say that God was the literal father of Jesus, but never claim that sexual intercourse was part of the conception process. Was sexual intercourse part of that process? I don't know. I thought one quote on there was rather astute in saying:

"I don't really care, one way or the other. Honestly, God can do no wrong, and since I believe Jesus was His only begotten son in the Flesh, the mechanics are irrelevant to me. OK, that being said, the Church does not have an official position on the mechanics."

Does it matter if it happened that way or by some other way? Not really. Either way I know that Jesus Christ is God's son. That's really all that matters. God does not err, and if that's the way it happened, then so be it. And if it didn't, then that's fine too. Either way, the statement that was made above wasn't a "smoke screen tactic."

Nice try, but there is just too much stuff documented on this matter for you and other to continue running and dodging around it. Try Heber C. Kimball, a "Prophet" and the President of the Mormon Church:

"...I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, also my Saviour Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it." (Journal of Discourses, 8:211)

Here is a link to the Journal of discourses section where this statement was made in 1860:

http://journalofdiscourses.org/Vol_08/refJDvol8-54.html

Below, from Brigham Young:

“While brother Joseph was referring to the providences of God, I was led to reflect that there is no act, no principle, no power belonging to the Deity that is not purely philosophical. The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood—was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers.” Journal of Discourses 8:115-116

Note: "was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers"

"[A]s we were" means in the SAME WAY we were begotten. I was begotten via sexual intercourse; so were you.

The "result of natural action" demands that there must have been a "natural action." Note that the quote does not say that the birth itself was a "natural action," but that the birth was the "result of natural action." What WAS that natural action if it did not involve sexual intercourse?

You really have to strain in any attempt to deny what Mormons indeed have taught on this subject. Just as they taught that Adam was God (the well-documented Mormon "Adam-God" theory (challenge me on that and I will deliver the goods on it as well).

Next week or this weekend I might unlimber some stuff on the rest of those half-truths, diversions, digressions, and smokescreens offered to Faux News by the devious apologists of Mormonism!

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.