Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The parents enrolled their child in a private school. Private schools are free to establish grooming and dress standards. While I may not agree with their rules it is the school's call and the parent's are free to comply or look for another school. Did the parents sign an agreement at enrollment to abide by the private school's policies? I know I did when I enrolled my son in a private school.

Now if this were a public school it would be an entirely different story.
quote:
Originally posted by JJ:
The parents enrolled their child in a private school. Private schools are free to establish grooming and dress standards. While I may not agree with their rules it is the school's call and the parent's are free to comply or look for another school. Did the parents sign an agreement at enrollment to abide by the private school's policies? I know I did when I enrolled my son in a private school.

Now if this were a public school it would be an entirely different story.

Yes..very well put. I agree completely. My children have always attended private schools and I have not always necessarily agreed with the dress code/grooming rules. But when we made our decision about where to send them to school other factors were more important to us than the rules about hair length and clothing.

I would not look down on someone who decided to send their children to another school because of these rules, but I really don't understand agreeing to abide by the rules and then complaining about them.
quote:
Originally posted by JJ:

Agreed. And how do they teach their children to follow the rules when the parents themselves think they shouldn't have to?

I recently noticed some parents (at the school I work for) texting and playing games on their phones during a student performance of the Wizard of Oz, while our faculty is enforcing the school policy of no cell phones during school hours. They were setting great examples. Roll Eyes
quote:
Posted 07 December 2010 11:14 AM Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Not Shallow Not Slim:
Did you see the look in that kid's eye? What a brave boy.

Didn't Jesus and all the disciples have long hair?

nsns

Show me a photograph of Jesus and his disciples and I'll let you know Big Grin Big Grin

Unfortunately, there are no photographs. There are, however, a lot of paintings. He looks a lot like Brad Pitt, unlike every other male who lives where he did.
quote:
Originally posted by JimiHendrix:
quote:
mad American
Familiar Face

Posted 07 December 2010 10:44 AM Hide Post
And public schools ain't narrow minded. Dang uno, I thought you were smarter than that. My whole school life I was taught that the democrap party was the savcior of our nation.

What you weren't taught is spelling.

What you weren't taught was class. And your apparent hero was a drug addled idiot who choked on his own vomit. Good pick.
quote:
Originally posted by JimiHendrix:
quote:
Posted 07 December 2010 11:14 AM Hide Post

quote:

nsns

Show me a photograph of Jesus and his disciples and I'll let you know Big Grin Big Grin

Unfortunately, there are no photographs. There are, however, a lot of paintings. He looks a lot like Brad Pitt, unlike every other male who lives where he did.

I feel that it's fortunate there isn't any photographs...one less thing for the masses to fixate upon Wink
quote:
And public schools ain't narrow minded. Dang uno, I thought you were smarter than that.

public schools are narrow minded as well but that is beside the point. the point is that the kid (actually, the parents) intentionally broke the rules set by the school. whether that school was public or private is immaterial. rules is rules.
quote:

nsns

You've got to move back here! Some parts of the South are in desperate need of intelligent people and intelligent conversation. I know this is obvious. We'll also expect you to share your cool collection of vinyl records with us (I know you have them). Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Sassy Kims:
quote:

nsns

In every painting of Him, Jesus is depicted as having long hair; that hasn't hampered the Christians' worship of Him now has it? So I don't understand why long hair on a child is such a problem at this school.
Headline should have read 4 year old banned from school because of stupid selfish parents. They or he, she, or whatever read the rules and regulations before they paid for and enrolled the child in the school. The child is not to be blamedfor this nor should he be put through all this stuff because of his parents. If long hair was banned; then he should not have sent to school with it. Parents seem to be looking at bottom line: (how much can we get?).
Someone tell me how this boy's long hair impeded his ability to learn. It didn't. It's a stupid rule and you all know it. The bigger picture (which arbitrary rule followers naturally don't get): His long hair produced a wig for a cancer survivor. Geez!

The problem with arbitrary rules is they turn kids into robots. Do you want our children to be androids or intelligent, independent thinkers?

The kids who've never learned to think for themselves develop into automatons as adults. They become 'yes' people who end up in the cubicles of corporate America, working in stifling jobs for managers that don't value creativity. They work in these jobs for years because they don't know any better by adulthood. (Remember, they lost the ability to make reasonable decisions in childhood.)

If I ever tell my kid to do something that makes absolutely no sense it means I've lost my ability to reason; therefore, I hope he defies the order. For instance, if I decide one day to tell him to sit completely still in a chair, without any distractions for three hours, I hope he lets me know it's a nonsensical command and I also hope he refuses to comply.

Some rules that do make sense: Don't hit your friend because hitting your friend hurts him; don't cross the road when a car is coming because you could get hit by the car; don't jump into the deep end of the pool unless you know how to swim.

See how that works?

Stories like this are exactly why I'm homeschooling my kid, starting next school year. Creativity is discouraged and common sense is extinguished at both public and private schools. So y'all just keep raising your kids to be mechanical puppets, America's future hamsters on the wheel. My kid will be the one coming up with the innovative ideas, working for himself. Wink

(Thank you, God, for making me a nonconformist...and for giving me the brains to raise my child to be a nonconformist as well.)
quote:
Originally posted by Buttercup:
quote:
quote:

nsns

In every painting of Him, Jesus is depicted as having long hair; that hasn't hampered the Christians' worship of Him now has it? So I don't understand why long hair on a child is such a problem at this school.

During that time frame, it was acceptable practice to crucify thieves and political dissidents and to stone to death adulterers...I don't think that would fly today any more than a boy having long hair at a church school.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nsns

During that time frame, it was acceptable practice to crucify thieves and political dissidents and to stone to death adulterers...I don't think that would fly today any more than a boy having long hair at a church school.

That's not the point. The point is people accept the image of Jesus (in the pictures) with long hair and worship Him that way. Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus with a buzz cut at someone's home, or at a church?
quote:
Someone tell me how this boy's long hair impeded his ability to learn. It didn't. It's a stupid rule and you all know it. The bigger picture (which arbitrary rule followers naturally don't get): His long hair produced a wig for a cancer survivor. Geez!

The problem with arbitrary rules is they turn kids into robots. Do you want our children to be androids or intelligent, independent thinkers?

The kids who've never learned to think for themselves develop into automatons as adults. They become 'yes' people who end up in the cubicles of corporate America, working in stifling jobs for managers that don't value creativity. They work in these jobs for years because they don't know any better by adulthood. (Remember, they lost the ability to make reasonable decisions in childhood.)

If I ever tell my kid to do something that makes absolutely no sense it means I've lost my ability to reason; therefore, I hope he defies the order. For instance, if I decide one day to tell him to sit completely still in a chair, without any distractions for three hours, I hope he lets me know it's a nonsensical command and I also hope he refuses to comply.

Some rules that do make sense: Don't hit your friend because hitting your friend hurts him; don't cross the road when a car is coming because you could get hit by the car; don't jump into the deep end of the pool unless you know how to swim.

See how that works?

Stories like this are exactly why I'm homeschooling my kid, starting next school year. Creativity is discouraged and common sense is extinguished at both public and private schools. So y'all just keep raising your kids to be mechanical puppets, America's future hamsters on the wheel. My kid will be the one coming up with the innovative ideas, working for himself. Wink

(Thank you, God, for making me a nonconformist...and for giving me the brains to raise my child to be a nonconformist as well.)

EXCELLENT!!! you have a great mind.
quote:
Originally posted by onepatriot7:
quote:

See how that works?

EXCELLENT!!! you have a great mind.

Thank you. It's amazing that it still works, however, because I'm currently one of those hamsters on the wheel or, er, in the cubicle. (I'm a product of public school.) Big Grin Hopefully my brain can make it to next fall when I start homeschooling my kid.

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all... Kodachrome (Paul Simon)
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nsns

That's not the point. The point is people accept the image of Jesus (in the pictures) with long hair and worship Him that way. Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus with a buzz cut at someone's home, or at a church?

Actually, yes. I've seen artists renderings of Jesus as biker dudes, Blacks, Hispanics, and women.

I suspect that neither those nor the ones classically accepted are accurate. Even if they are, what was customary then isn't what's customary now.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nsns

Actually, yes. I've seen artists renderings of Jesus as biker dudes, Blacks, Hispanics, and women.

I suspect that neither those nor the ones classically accepted are accurate. Even if they are, what was customary then isn't what's customary now.

so short hair is the custom today? walked around any college campuse lately? or the mall, or basically any public venue?
quote:
Originally posted by onepatriot7:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nsns

so short hair is the custom today? walked around any college campuse lately? or the mall, or basically any public venue?

Evidently it is the custom in Catholic Schools in New Jersey.

And the vast majority of males seen in the public today have hair that does not cover their collar. A very large percentage actually shave their heads now. Or haven't you been out lately?
quote:
Originally posted by lawguy07:
I guess it would be OK to have long hair if the kid was a little older and playing for Notre Dame. Or any college football team for that matter. Half the players in the NCAA apparently think they're from Jamaica, mon.

http://indianapolis-indiana.fu...Football-Players.jpg

Out of 10 recognizable players in uniform in that picture, 9 have short hair and are clean cut. 1 has dreadlocks and a beard.
[so short hair is the custom today? walked around any college campuse lately? or the mall, or basically any public venue?[/QUOTE]

Evidently it is the custom in Catholic Schools in New Jersey.

And the vast majority of males seen in the public today have hair that does not cover their collar. A very large percentage actually shave their heads now. Or haven't you been out lately?[/QUOTE]

i certainly do not have the daily interaction with the public that you do every day, and i thank God for that, however, i would venture to say that 9 out of 10 of those are conformist incapable of any original thought or ideal, most of the shaved head folks are either involved in atheletic's, an occupation that set's that "standard" therefore they conform, Nazi wanna-be's or druggie's who think they will somehow closer resemble the local law enforcement and therfore not be noticed. just my opinion, i do not intend to argue this point any further, be careful out there my friend
quote:
Originally posted by lawguy07:
Well I'll give you that ND probably doesn't lead the NCAA in players with dreads, but I was simply making a point (which is that short hair is not necessarily the current custom). I just picked on ND because it's a Catholic school.

agreed, your photo wasn't the best choice, however, i understood the comparision, and you are very correct that a huge majority of the college athelete's have dred's

JJJUUUULLLIIIOOOOOOOOO!!!!
It's not even newsworthy, and because it is in the news kinda gives you an idea of his parent's "parenting" ability. He's four. He doesn't need a "trademark". If they want his hair long and in a little "ponytail" it may be weird, but I guess their right. And kids being kids he will be made fun of, and he will honestly be mistaken for a little girl. IMO a child of four isn't going to be able to handle that.
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
It's not even newsworthy, and because it is in the news kinda gives you an idea of his parent's "parenting" ability. He's four. He doesn't need a "trademark". If they want his hair long and in a little "ponytail" it may be weird, but I guess their right. And kids being kids he will be made fun of, and he will honestly be mistaken for a little girl. IMO a child of four isn't going to be able to handle that.

i'm wondering which personality you are today? most of your post on this forum lead one to believe that you always running against the grain, however, today tool, you are posing as a conformist.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.