Skip to main content

I was behind my keyboard at 4:39 A.M. this morning when I began feeling my chair and computer table shake. It was pretty strong, so I looked out the window to make sure there was no one outside with a truck, loading or unloading something. There wasn't. It felt like an earthquake, so I made a mental note of the time -- 4:39 A.M.

About 20 minutes later, I heard on the news that "Illinois and Indiana" felt an earthquake at 5:39 A.M. EST. That would make it 4:39 here. Coincidence? No.

This would be the 2nd time in the last 3 or 4 years that I have been up late and felt a small earthquake.

Can I get a shout out from anyone else who felt this rumbling? I am in the Shoals, btw.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is the official info on the quake:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2008/us2008qza6/

That's from the U.S. Geological Survey.

It was centered in West Salem, Illinois and registered a 5.4 at its epicenter. The largest ever recorded quake in that geological zone (which covers most of Illinois, Indiana, parts of Kentucky, and northeast Arkansas) was a 5.4 in 1968. This one today ties it (also a 5.4). More info on this at the below link:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2008/us2008qza6/#summary

The Shoals area is 254 miles away from West Salem, ILL. The reports as of now say that people 350+ miles away felt it.
quote:
Originally posted by miamizsun:
I felt one back in the 90s(in the shoals). Ground shook a little and made a low and deep boom....

Fast forwad to Manzanillo Mexico, mid 90s, on biz-cation, 7.6 quake, massive destruction, and chaos....with no warning.

I'll take a hurricane any day over an earthquake.

I wasn't aware that an earthquake would give you warnings before it hit.
I was in bed and felt it, but thought i had imagined it since i was still half asleep. I remember my dog perking up and letting out a small "woof", but didn't think much of it at the time.
I remember the one in the late 80's/early 90's....i was on a picnic and sitting on the ground.....that felt weird. I also remember one in the mid 70's.
I feel sure I may have felt it. It was about that time I thought my dog had jumped on my computer chair a couple of times (2 seconds) and I turned around and she was over in the other chair looking at me like what was that?

Then I saw on the news an hour later it was an earthquake. It did not feel like the one we had a few years ago that vibrated the whole house a little bit. It was more like somebody bumping the table a little bit when they sit down.
Okay, so this was a weird night/morning for me. I've recently starting taking Adipex which is an appetite suppressant. I started taking them Wednesday morning, and this morning I was suffering from a hypoglycemic episode, due to the fact that I literally have NO appetite, and completely forget to eat; yesterday. Yes, I do realize it takes a special kind of stupid to forget to eat, but that is in fact the case. So... to make this long story even longer, I'm laying on the couch at roughly 4:38ish am, trying to lay as still as possible in an attempt to ward off the nausea, when I started to feel a rocking motion, and my house is built on a concrete slab, and even our washing machine at its WORST lopsided spin is an unremarkable event. Well I had no idea what it was, I started to think I was experiencing some weird symptom, or beginnings of a seizure, I was just thrown, and alas I assumed it was my imagination. I then decided to write it off to my confused, fatigued mind playing tricks on me. So this evening on the news to my surprise it was an Earthquake……I must say I feel so much better. It kinda sucks a little to think you are losing your mind.

Forgive my aimless ramblings this medicine is making me whacky. But I am losing weight!!! lol

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.