Skip to main content

I'll do the math.  The story says $100million in fraud since 2007, or about 4 years, and the program costs $40billion/year.  So, $25,000,000 / $40,000,000,000 = .06255%

Thats your outrage.

Pitiful. 

I have worked on programs for DoD that were 100% fraud, waste and abuse.  We once spent a couple years and millions of dollars reproducing a failed idea from the 1960's.  We even went and got the original test fixturing and basically copied it. Turns out, that the laws of physics havent changed since the 1960's.  And our company was the low bidder.  That was typical of my experience in working on the Star Wars concepts. 

I have no idea where you got YOUR "facts" but I can see you passed up the real stats to post that mess. 2007? Get real. Either do an honest search/post or just sit back and stop trying to run your lies by people that know better. Good grief. We had this "discussion" before and you totally ignored the sites I posted. Well, it did shut you up then and you didn't try this pitiful tactic.

Originally Posted by b50m:

http://fellowshipofminds.wordp...lobsters-and-steaks/

Every year, taxpayers spent $40 billion on those food stamps that are intended for the poor.

According to the U.S. Agriculture Department, food stamp fraud totaled nearly $100 million since 2007.

The facts came from the link posted by b50m

You never posted any facts, BECAUSE YOUR OUTRAGE IS MADE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can save $20billion/year, tomorrow.  Just give me my 1% finders fee.

Audit the Pentagon.

Or at least try, since the Pentagon has never undergone a thorough audit.  There are more than 1000 computer systems for use by the different procurement people, and none of them can communicate with each other.  The DoD tried to integrate all the systems, and spent $20billion to do so, but they gave up.  

On Sept. 10, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war. Not on foreign terrorists, "the adversary's closer to home. It's the Pentagon bureaucracy," he said.

He said money wasted by the military poses a serious threat.

"In fact, it could be said it's a matter of life and death," he said.

"According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions," Rumsfeld admitted.

Rumsfeld promised change but the next day – Sept. 11-- the world changed and in the rush to fund the war on terrorism, the war on waste seems to have been forgotten.

The Defense Department spent an estimated $100 million for airline tickets that were not used over a six-year period and failed to seek refunds even though the tickets were reimbursable, congressional investigators say.

The GAO estimated that between 1997 and 2003, the Defense Department bought at least $100 million in tickets that were not used or used only partially by a passenger who did not complete all legs of a flight. The waste went undetected because the department relied on individuals to report the unused tickets.They did not do so.

Congress' General Accounting Office issued the findings in two reports on the Pentagon's lack of control over airline travel, copies of which The Associated Press obtained Tuesday. A prior report, issued last November, found that the Pentagon bought 68,000 first-class or business-class airline seats for employees who should have flown coach.

That estimate was apparently very low. This is from 2006.

Here's another:

October 19, 2006

Food stamp fraud costs taxpayers hundreds of millions every year

By Jim Kouri

Every year, food stamp recipients exchange hundreds of millions of dollars in benefits for cash instead of food with retailers across the country, a practice known as trafficking. From 2000 to 2005, the Food Stamp Program has grown from $15 billion to $29 billion in benefits.

During this period of time, the US Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) replaced paper food stamp coupons with electronic benefit transfer (EBT) cards that work much like a debit card at the grocery checkout counter.

FNS's estimates suggest trafficking declined between 1995 and 2005 from 3.8 cents per dollar of benefits redeemed to 1.0 cent, resulting in an estimated $241 million in food stamps trafficked in 2005. The rate of trafficking in small grocery and convenience stores is 7.6 cents per dollar, significantly higher than the rate for large stores, where it is estimated to be 0.2 cents per dollar.

In addition, the use of EBT cards has changed the way some benefits are trafficked, for example eliminating middlemen who used to collect and redeem large amounts of paper coupons from program participants willing to sell them. FNS has taken advantage of EBT data to improve its ability to detect and disqualify trafficking retailers, while law enforcement agencies have conducted a decreasing number of investigations.

Obama signs bill targeting government waste:

The government improperly spent $110 billion last year -- more than the budgets of the Small Business Administration and the Education Department combined, the president said.

Obama said his goal is to reduce the improper federal payments by $50 billion between now and 2012.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-0...obama?_s=PMOLITICS

*********************************************************************************************************************

I love that line about reducing improper payments by 50 billion by 2012. They know there's fraud, yet they can only reduce it by less than half?? And this is just the tip of the iceberg, They know as well as we do that there is much much more fraud going on and has gone on since the day the programs were put in place. This is not about the poor and needy. The poor and needy are not the ones perpetrating the fraud. But when someone says stop the waste and fraud, the democrats are ready to yell "you hate the poor and needy"!!! That is just ignorance that can't be believed.

What I hate is seeing a young strong man arrested, and when they book him in he has $1000.00 in his wallet, AND a food stamp card. When the cop ask him why he had the card when he had a thousand dollars in his wallet he just laughed and said, "they keep giving it to me, no questions ask". BTW, if you doubt this story you can most likely see it yourself in a rerun of the cop shows on TruTV. Now my question is this, will the police report this to the proper authorities? Will it be reported that this man had a thousand dollars in his wallet when arrested? I'd guess no. So that means there goes just one case of fraud that isn't reported. Multiply that one incident by 1000s all over this country and you may get a better idea of the massive fraud draining this country. We won't ever know the true amount because so much of it won't be reported, or if reported it won't be followed up on. That needs to change.

Last edited by Jennifer
Originally Posted by Road Puppy:

I think the best thing Obama could do to reduce improper federal payments is resign.

What's he gonna do? Put together a panel of experts and *pay them* to study the issue?

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

**************************************************************************************************************

He'll appoint a few new czars.

Originally Posted by Mr.Dittohead:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers:

Small businesses are not hiring because there is no clarity or certainty on what tax and other policy will be going forward. Hence, they will sit on cash. The problem with people such as yourself is that you equate any kind of business owner with being some kind of Wall St fatcat. Read an economics book and stop taking political rhetoric to heart.

Small business is not hiring because there is no demand.  There is no demand because real unemployment is about 22%.  Economics is all about feelings, not logic, thats why markets are so unpredictable

The US t-bonds get downrated, which causes the stock market to decline, so the institutional investors buy t-bonds.  Thats not logical. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bingo, here is the only statement on this entire thread that is true about the economy and lack of jobs !! 

who are the "job creators" that the Republicans keep talking about - to them it is businesses, big and small/

Trouble is , the actual "job creators" are the average citizens , you and me, that go out and buy stuff. Somebody has to sell that stuff, then re-order from a supplier, and the supplier from the factory, and the factory has to hire more people to make more stuff. This just is not going to happen for any reason, including more tax breaks , unless there is demand for their product, and if there is demand for their product, they will hire even if they have to pay more taxes, and follow regulations to keep from killing kids downwind of their poison smokestacks.

That is what FDR understood so well, that is lacking today. WE need more money in the hands of the working class so they will buy more stuff.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.