Skip to main content

http://www.shoalsinsider.com/d...hoalsinsider&he=.com

Lets pray for this kid. I wanted to get my child one, but this very reason kept me from it. SHe is 8 and still is required to wear a helmet anytime she gets on her bike or scooter. Might get her a electric scooter for her birthday, since her best friend has one.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What ever happened to riding a bike? When I was young I rode a bike from the age of 4 or 5 until 13. Now days kids go from walking straight to some motorized vehicle where all they have to do is steer. No wonder we have a child obesity problem. After they get off the four-wheeler, it's time to watch the tube or play video games for a couple of hours.
None of my kids friends wear helmets. Ours has wore a helmet since she first got on her first bike. And she does not have to be told to put it on either, it is second nature to her now. She has a Wii, DS, DS-I, computer and Xbox 360. Last time any were played was on the trip back from gulf shores 3 weeks ago. If its nice outside, she goes and plays with her friends.
quote:
Originally posted by KISSFREEK2002:
As an Er nurse I can tell you the injuries and deaths these things cause, I can't believe that parents let their kids on them.

The blame can't be placed on the atv. As an avid atv enthusiast, I hate to see stories like this because it gives the sport a bad reputation. Atv's are a great family sport, that can be enjoyed by all ages...5 (or younger) to 75. With a little common sense, stories like this can be avoided. Alot of the smaller atv's can be governed to control the speed. I never ride without helmet, boots, and chest protector, and would insist on the same for my children. The fact that this occured only a couple yards from a major highway makes me think that the childs parents were not as concerned about his/her safety as they should have been.
quote:
Originally posted by Fighting Illini:
What ever happened to riding a bike? When I was young I rode a bike from the age of 4 or 5 until 13. Now days kids go from walking straight to some motorized vehicle where all they have to do is steer. No wonder we have a child obesity problem. After they get off the four-wheeler, it's time to watch the tube or play video games for a couple of hours.

yea for real. i'm 26 and love riding a bike just as much as i did when i was 10. and i always wear my helmet, i'd feel naked without it. kids are definitely getting lazy. and i'm not sure it's because of video games. we had NES growing up and i still preferred to play outside.
This is My 5 year old grandson.He is in very serious condition and was flown to Birmingham today.I begged my son and D-I-L not to give this to him for his birthday.He was wearing a helmet and it was one of the smallest ATVs made and he is a very big boy,but in my opinion No,he shouldn't have been on it.Just because he was big enough to ride it,he didn't have the experience to know what to do when the throttle stuck.You can blame me,you can blame his parents,but please pray for my baby.
quote:
Originally posted by Witchesdance:
This is My 5 year old grandson.He is in very serious condition and was flown to Birmingham today.I begged my son and D-I-L not to give this to him for his birthday.He was wearing a helmet and it was one of the smallest ATVs made and he is a very big boy,but in my opinion No,he shouldn't have been on it.Just because he was big enough to ride it,he didn't have the experience to know what to do when the throttle stuck.You can blame me,you can blame his parents,but please pray for my baby.
....Prayers sent for you and your grandson, my dear friend!!!!!
quote:

Birmingham is the best place for him to be; he is in good hands. The fact that he was at least wearing a helmet should go in his favor too.

I hope you don't blame yourself. Sounds like you did all you could reasonably do to talk them out of the purchase.

I will be praying for him and for you.
Last edited by Buttercup
My sympathies and prayers. I stole this but it's worth reading:

Misty Kay Robbins was 10 years old when she died late Saturday afternoon. The Iron City girl was reportedly driving an adult-sized All Terrain Vehicle, commonly known as an ATV or quadcycle. Her 15 year-old brother was also injured in the accident near their home.

Perhaps the most shocking part of her death is that it isn't at all unusual. The American Academy of Pediatrics has asked the Federal Government to ban anyone under the age of 16 from either driving or riding on an adult-sized ATV. Yet most parents who have lost children in such accidents report they had no idea of the danger involved. How is this possible?

It appears that despite increased educational campaigns, most parents don't realize that a child under 16 is twice as likely to die while operating an adult ATV. Concerned Mothers for ATV Safety, a group founded by women who have lost children to ATV accidents, along with several other consumer safety groups, is seeking to make it illegal for children under the age of 16 to ride on adult ATVs. This age group currently makes up 20% of adult ATV related fatalities, and of this group 92% were engaging in activities specifically mentioned as dangerous in ATV educational materials.

Don't we already have enough laws? One would think so, but apparently we don't have the right ones if our children are dying at this rate and parents are doing nothing to prevent it.
Would it be possible to limit comments on this thread to thoughts and prayers for the family? Another topic can be started concerning the dangers of ATV's. The family should not be subjected to information about injuries to other people or comment on whether the child should have been on the vehicle. They do not need to read the first and I am sure they now know the other. Try a little empathy.
quote:
I am so sorry. Prayer sent up!
quote:

I'm so sorry, Witchesdance...praying he is going to be okay.
quote:

bless your heart! all of your family too! i hope and pray he will be okay!!

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.