Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You know, I've always been curious as to how a restaurant executes this rule. I mean, what happens when you see you are getting close to 49? Do you shut down the bar? If I was there ordering a glass of wine, would I be told "sorry, it appears we've just ventured past 49 and you'll need to order a several entrees and a dessert first"...lol.
The rule is for businesses operating with a "restaurant license". There is such a thing as a "lounge license"; you can sell food , but people under 19 (I think) can't be in there .

The real kicker is that there are so many "food" items that for the percentage is not considered "food" , like chicken tenders, wings, pepper poppers, pizza, and in reality , hot dogs and burgers. "Food" by their definition, is something you eat with a knife, fork, and spoon.
Hand food and appetizers are not counted.
Thanks for the info! So if there is a lounge license exception, why aren't there any nightclubs on this side of the river? I thought the 51/49 rule was what prevented it but it sounds like there is no legal barrier to having no-kidding clubs as well as more bars like OTR. Of course you would still have to get past the conservative element in town.
quote:
Originally posted by lawguy07:
Thanks for the info! So if there is a lounge license exception, why aren't there any nightclubs on this side of the river? I thought the 51/49 rule was what prevented it but it sounds like there is no legal barrier to having no-kidding clubs as well as more bars like OTR. Of course you would still have to get past the conservative element in town.

1. City of Florence doesn't want "Honkie Tonks".
All the Church folks will be hanging out in em.
To you sell alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption, one must obtain a license from the State ABC Board. There are three "types" of licenses. "Restaurant", "lounge", and "private club". Each have different requirements that must be met. For example, a "restaurant" license requires one to be "mainly" in the food service business. One requirement for any type of license is approval of the city council. I suppose you could apply for any type of license, but the city council must approve it first.

Places like Mr. Norms I'm sure have a lounge license, But they were either "grandfathered" in or perhaps it has something to do with zoning, or both, I don't really know. When Florence first went wet, there were lounges on Court Street. I think that's one reason for the 51/49 ordinance, as a means of control over the types of business in Florence.

These business aren't checked daily to make sure they're in compliance. The monthly sales reports for tax purpose are probably used, but I would think rather judiciously. It's kinda like a speed limit. If you're going 43 in a 40 zone, you probably won't get stopped. But if you're going 70 in a 40 zone...watch out. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by dosvse3:
quote:
Originally posted by lawguy07:

1. City of Florence doesn't want "Honkie Tonks".
All the Church folks will be hanging out in em.

Great take ! Big Grin

I believe the original purpose was to keep Honkie Tonks off court street, and yet allow restaurants to sell alcohol. This was a way they chose to do it. Only recently has the city council allowed a lounge license in downtown Florence.
Do we still have the ordinance prohibiting bars from being within so many feet of a church?

I never understood that one. How does having a bar next door cause the church any grief?

I have been to big cities where they were side by side. Open the wrong door and you are either praying for a drink or praying nobody see you coming out. Smiler
Morality issues. It's similar to how every couple of years people seem to be really receptive to a state lottery or Sunday alcohol sales, but eventually go back against it after state churches spend time and resources to convince people otherwise.

Anyhow, it's the usual, "I don't want any restrictions on my freedom until it's something that's against my morals, and you are a godless sinner if you still want freedom" bit.
quote:
Originally posted by ryokurin:
Morality issues. It's similar to how every couple of years people seem to be really receptive to a state lottery or Sunday alcohol sales, but eventually go back against it after state churches spend time and resources to convince people otherwise.

Anyhow, it's the usual, "I don't want any restrictions on my freedom until it's something that's against my morals, and you are a godless sinner if you still want freedom" bit.

We live in an area dubbed "the bible belt." What else would you expect? I was under the impression these things were to be democratic? If the majority is in favor then I am sure it will happen.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.