Skip to main content

Maybe I have missed something here, but I have not seen where this childs parents were at this pool party.

How well can a 6 year old swim to be at a pool party without their parent in the water with them???

This death could have been prevented in my opinion!!!

>>Link<<
Sometimes you just have to smile, pretend everythings okay, hold back the tears and just walk away.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Normally it would seem prudent that there were two lifeguards on duty for 15 to 20 kids in a pool. The fact that a death occurred implies that the level of attention of the lifeguards was inadequate. The article states that the children in the pool alerted the adults to the situation. Just going by the linked article it looks as though the lifeguards were negligent.
quote:
Originally posted by annehr@comcast.net:
Some kids can swim really well at age 6. Mine were on the Florence swim team at that age and competed around the state. Don't be so quick to judge.

I am glad your child can swim well, But most children at 6 years old can't and should never be let unattended near a swimming pool because at this age they are curious and it only takes seconds to drown.
quote:
Originally posted by RoadHawg:
quote:
Originally posted by annehr@comcast.net:
Some kids can swim really well at age 6. Mine were on the Florence swim team at that age and competed around the state. Don't be so quick to judge.

Exactly!

You can teach an infant to swim...
Little swimmers...

I don't care how well a child can swim, they are still just a child and need a parent in the water with them!!!
All of mine were swimming before they started to school. Swimming was the best way to keep them entertained. Correct even if they do swim well, adults should be present. In this case I wonder if the pool was so crowded that this child was just forgotten about. His parents not being present, would explain that he could have been forgotten. A tragic thing that I am sure anyone present is asking themselves what if......I am sure the parents wished they should have stayed as opposed to dropping the child off. God bless them all
Kids can go under so quickly, and someone needs to be tasked with keeping eyeballs on the kids. I mean, the adults need to appoint people to watch and take turns doing it. I always went to pool parties to keep my own two eyes on my own child. Honestly, all the little wet heads look alike after a while.

Even if they can swim, you have to keep in mind their poor judgment. I pulled a little boy out of the pool at a church party once. He just thought he'd jump into the deep end and see what happened.

I am so sorry for this family.
*shudders*

I hate hearing stories like this, they break my heart. I can't imagine how horrible something like this is to go through. I don't know the circumstances as to why the parents weren't there, so I'm trying hard not to judge that.

I know that if my child gets invited to a pool party, I'm going with him. I couldn't just trust that the lifeguards/other adults could keep up with all the children. Even the best of swimmers, can drown in certain situations. My lil man does know how to swim, but still, you never know what might happen.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and the friends of those who were close to this little boy. Frowner

~Amanda
quote:
Originally posted by LMM:
Heck, I'm 52 and I still can't swim.
Where was the life guard or at least parents of the other kids? Did any one ask first if the kid could swim? Why did the other kids not notice until he was lifeless? Drowning usually involves screaming help.

In the movies, drowning involves screaming help, but in real life, a drowning can be quite silent. Think of the little boy at the y several years ago. There was no screaming at all.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.