Skip to main content

I went into one of our fast food joints for lunch yesterday rather than ordering through the drive thru and boy was I glad I did.  While waiting at the register I noticed the Alabama health rating on the wall and it was an 82.  Several things were visible as written down for achieving that low score but food being stored at wrong temperatures was one of them.  That score alone would be reason for me to leave, which I did, but before leaving it was also noticeable that in the kitchen area and behind the serving counter the floor was noticeably dirty and unkept from all appearances.  One can only image what back in the kitchen looked like.   

I know, unfortunately, there are several restaurants that aren't kept up and that employ people at minimum or less than minimum wages and you can't expect too much but there are reasons to chose not to eat somewhere and today I quickly left without ordering and don't know that I'll be back anytime soon.  I did also take the opportunity and make the time to go on the internet and write the company's headquarters and voice my health concerns so hopefully something will come from it.  I also know or feel some people may wonder where this was and maybe I should name them but it's not a place I eat often in fact haven't even eaten there in about six months or more but even though it's not one of the more popular burger joints every place that serves food needs to take more care to take care of their premises and in this case I believe it all goes back to management.  

So if you usually order though the drive through maybe you might want to take a moment to wander inside from time to time and see what the interior looks like because many of us don't get to see that when ordering through a speaker and then visiting only at the window.  

Be as the Bereans ( Acts 17:11 )

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

good report,,, however something to be aware of on health inspections.   Used to be on inspector that was very easy on restaurants and the other was very turf.  An 85 with tuff one was a great score where as a 95 with easy on may not be good.   Also I don't know if it has been corrected on inspections however I remember the tuff one gigging 5 pts because someone dropped a piece of lettuce on the way to dumpster.    

1130 posted:

good report,,, however something to be aware of on health inspections.   Used to be on inspector that was very easy on restaurants and the other was very turf.  An 85 with tuff one was a great score where as a 95 with easy on may not be good.   Also I don't know if it has been corrected on inspections however I remember the tuff one gigging 5 pts because someone dropped a piece of lettuce on the way to dumpster.    

I agree that a lot depends on the type or severity of the inspector which is why I was careful to apply the second bit of advice I had been given.  I was told if employees are neglecting the restrooms and the lobby and especially the area you can see behind the serving counter where they mostly are and walk then you can be sure the places in the kitchen out of view are also not kept up.  

I remember one restaurant, a real hole in the wall, out of the way, place in Colbert County out by Tri-Green Eqpt on Sockwell rd, that we used to go to and was actually quite popular but really had a tough time with the health inspector.  In fact during one inspection the restaurant was shut down and we still don't know, today, if it was due to something bad in the kitchen or if it was the fact that one of the cooks actually started a literal fist fight with the inspector during that visit.  Either way that wasn't the best way to get in with the health inspectors as the place didn't remain open too long after that.  The fight though happened long after I had stopped eating there.  

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.