quote:
Originally posted by pineywoodscat:
I think you will find it to always be the same. When I went to HS the "jocks" were the bullies and that has not changed. I do not believe it will ever change. Their parents and the communities uphold them as special. They are the warriors of their domain therefore they are set up above the academic minded kids and kids that get by with grades earned. Now mind you, not all "jocks" are like that. There are exceptions that make it on their own and are good kids and students. There are slso "Numbnuts" that cast the bad reflection on the others. MHO


Same with the cheerleaders (usually) and other popular girls. But popular girls are subtle bullies who rule the school based on a sort of social hierarchy. They see it as having ownership of the goings on at the school because of their power. (I realize not all popular girls are bullies; some are genuinely nice, but it is rare.)

A good example of this social structure and the harm it causes is the 15 year old in the Mass. area who got bullied and harassed to the point that she hung herself (her name was Phoebe something). Her only crime was going out with one of the popular football players. Well, that's just not allowed because the popular girls think they have the right to dictate these relationships and if you step over the line and become a threat to their established rule, watch out.

All of this plays out well in the movie "Mean Girls". It's based on the book "Queen Bees and Wannabes", which is about these cliques.
quote:
Originally posted by educator:
You also must not be very familiar with texting, facebooking or any other networking that kids take part in these days..they do not spell ..they type symbols and portions of words to make their point.


Yeah, I used to work in HR, "educator", and frequently read through applications from young people in the post high school age group. I can tell you that many of them were denied even a call for an interview due to those "symbols and portions of words" because the way they text is the way they fill out job applications.

They might be making a point with their friends, but these kids are getting their applications tossed in the garbage because they aren't thoughtful enough to write out a coherent sentence on a job application - not all of them, but many.
quote:
Originally posted by barbaros45:
Do you think this is a problem compounded by the teachers? Common sense...why would teachers instigate trouble that would just multiply their problems....the students came from home with this attitude, and no teacher can change it....


I disagree somewhat with this. Most teachers don't, but I have seen too many who look down on children for the way they dress, their low rank in the social hierarchy of the school, etc.

Many of these "goth" kids are good kids. Smart kids. They just need someone to believe in them and many times they don't get that from home. But a teacher reinforcing that these kids are just "losers" while holding up the jocks as ideal students just adds to the "different" kids' negative self-worth.

I think it's funny that many of the jocks/cheerleaders/popular kids are the very ones you'll find having sex under the school bleachers or doing drugs at the weekend parties. At the same time, they are usually members of the school's "Circle C" club or other Christian club and are church-going fakes.
quote:
Originally posted by educator:
DGREEN..we all know and love you. We very much appreciate you standing up for what you love and believe in. Please delete your post. This nut on here obiviously has nothing better to do than harass kids. Delete it please. IT can be dangerous to post such on a forum. I know your a kid and dont realize this..but this a an adult posting to you..he/she does know what they are doing. You are a fine young man. Keep up the good work and you will go far in life. Just dont get weak to such redneck junk as the posts on here!!!!


Where do I start with this, "educator"?

"I know your a kid and dont realize this"
Should be: I know YOU'RE a kid and DON'T realize this"

"...but this a an adult posting to you...he/she does know what they are doing."
First of all, that's not a coherent sentence. Secondly, you don't use "they" because it refers to more than one person. Jeepin' is only one person.

If you're a teacher, I'm Barack Obama. If you're a teacher at Brooks High School I'm very concerned for the future of the children of Killen. You're just turning out more future job applications to toss.
Why would Times Daily delete this? Because so many of us have an opinion on the matter? Or because that opinion differs from yours? Either way, I dont see any violation of the TOS here. If you are so sure there is a violation, please pull up the TOS (member agreement) from the first page and let us know what your perceived violation is.

Otherwise, I take this as your attempt to squash someone elses free speech.

BTW - welcome to the forums Roll Eyes

Jeepin'
I am tremendously concerned about the state of education right here in Lauderdale County....our students are not receiving the education they need and deserve...I believe there are a number of reasons for this...the majority of students have no interest in studying English and history...math requires logic, abstract reasoning....abilities children do not acquire while watching tv and playing video games.....teachers are working with too many students in their classroom....there should be a maximum of 20....paperwork is a monumental task...teaching isn't comparable to any material occupation, where you might look back at the end of the day and visualize what you have accomplished...such as building a house..very difficult to keep morale at a high level when the results are negligible..and, of course, there are some very poor teachers.
quote:
Originally posted by barbaros45:
I am tremendously concerned about the state of education right here in Lauderdale County....our students are not receiving the education they need and deserve...I believe there are a number of reasons for this...the majority of students have no interest in studying English and history...math requires logic, abstract reasoning....abilities children do not acquire while watching tv and playing video games.....teachers are working with too many students in their classroom....there should be a maximum of 20....paperwork is a monumental task...teaching isn't comparable to any material occupation, where you might look back at the end of the day and visualize what you have accomplished...such as building a house..very difficult to keep morale at a high level when the results are negligible..and, of course, there are some very poor teachers.

I bet that you couldn't find a student in the state that could diagram that sentence.
quote:
Originally posted by barbaros45:
I am tremendously concerned about the state of education right here in Lauderdale County....our students are not receiving the education they need and deserve...I believe there are a number of reasons for this...the majority of students have no interest in studying English and history...math requires logic, abstract reasoning....abilities children do not acquire while watching tv and playing video games.....teachers are working with too many students in their classroom....there should be a maximum of 20....paperwork is a monumental task...teaching isn't comparable to any material occupation, where you might look back at the end of the day and visualize what you have accomplished...such as building a house..very difficult to keep morale at a high level when the results are negligible..and, of course, there are some very poor teachers.


I feel for teachers and what they have to endure these days. The vast majority went into the profession to make an impact on young people.

But just like physicians who now have to spend more and more time with paperwork and arguing with insurance companies for payment, educators have to prepare for endless standardized tests and deal with crowded classrooms, parents that don't care, and on and on.

If my child has had a positive experience with a wonderful teacher - and more times than not that's been the case - I always make sure to write her a letter at the end of the year expressing my appreciation and send a copy to the principal.
barbaros45 and Buttercup, We all have every right to be concerned for our education system. Maybe several years back people actually went into teaching for the right reasons--the reasons you suggested, however, that is not typically the case. If you want proof, go to the education department at our local university and ask them what reasons the students give them. I can assure you it is not because they want to make a difference or an impact. To be honest, students are not taken seriously, if they give that reason…it is understandable (from a realistic standpoint)—there are bills to be paid, health insurance is needed, and a retirement plan. There are a few people who choose to go into a career that do not base their decision on money or benefits. Teaching does not pay very well, but the benefits are great.
I commend those who find a way to express their gratitude for the teachers that make a difference in their life. I would think that helps to make up for the difficulties/challenges they face with their students and co-workers. I hope people understand my concerns go both ways—I am in no way trying to imply that all teachers are bad, and the students are perfect (not at all). I hope the things I have heard about the assistant principal are true because she is known to straighten people up.
I am responding to the people who think this thread needs to be deleted.I think those who want this thread deleted are most likely the people who are either participating in these types of situations, or receiving special privileges because of who they know (or benefitting in some similar fashion). They are fearful of exposure because once the public is made aware, someone might actually care enough to take action and they may no longer have an advantage over people they tend to look down on. I refuse to be silenced on the subject and anyone who has a shred of decency about them should feel the same. We should desire for all children to be provided with an equitable opportunity for successful learning, inside and outside the classroom. It should make absolutely no difference how a child looks, how much money mommy and daddy have or who they know when it comes to the education system—this has nothing at all to do with their education. The idea of fair treatment should apply to all schools—not just Brooks. As cliché as it sounds, the youth is our future, they are an investment—human capital. If we deny a child (any child) the opportunity reach their maximum learning potential, then we are suppressing the future growth of our nation.

For the record, I read the “kids” post as a threat as well. People think they can make ambiguous statements, knowing all along their intended meaning, but as soon as an individual calls them out on it—all the sudden it becomes a situation of “that was not what was meant.” Let us be real, we all know what was meant by the statement—it was a threat, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Do not forget that we live in a country where 12 year olds are charged as adults for the crimes they commit (not always and not every state—and not saying I agree with it)…it seems at the very least we (all) should stop making excuses for the “kids” poor judgment and acknowledge that the statement was a threat. In the end, petting/babying children does them no favors…it does not prepare them for how the “real” world is. I do not expect everyone to agree with me on the subject and welcome your criticism (yes, even about my grammar)…just keeping it going.
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Psalms 1:1
Blessed are those who do not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers.

I still feel this needs to be deleted and that it is a shame that this continues. You all knnow that you are refering to a kid and yet you continue. Maybe these words will help you to know that we are not all perfect and that mistakes are made.
quote:
Originally posted by ALmuckraker:
I am responding to the people who think this thread needs to be deleted.I think those who want this thread deleted are most likely the people who are either participating in these types of situations, or receiving special privileges because of who they know (or benefitting in some similar fashion). They are fearful of exposure because once the public is made aware, someone might actually care enough to take action and they may no longer have an advantage over people they tend to look down on. I refuse to be silenced on the subject and anyone who has a shred of decency about them should feel the same. We should desire for all children to be provided with an equitable opportunity for successful learning, inside and outside the classroom. It should make absolutely no difference how a child looks, how much money mommy and daddy have or who they know when it comes to the education system—this has nothing at all to do with their education. The idea of fair treatment should apply to all schools—not just Brooks. As cliché as it sounds, the youth is our future, they are an investment—human capital. If we deny a child (any child) the opportunity reach their maximum learning potential, then we are suppressing the future growth of our nation.

For the record, I read the “kids” post as a threat as well. People think they can make ambiguous statements, knowing all along their intended meaning, but as soon as an individual calls them out on it—all the sudden it becomes a situation of “that was not what was meant.” Let us be real, we all know what was meant by the statement—it was a threat, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Do not forget that we live in a country where 12 year olds are charged as adults for the crimes they commit (not always and not every state—and not saying I agree with it)…it seems at the very least we (all) should stop making excuses for the “kids” poor judgment and acknowledge that the statement was a threat. In the end, petting/babying children does them no favors…it does not prepare them for how the “real” world is. I do not expect everyone to agree with me on the subject and welcome your criticism (yes, even about my grammar)…just keeping it going.



James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


James 5:6
You have condemned the innocent one, who was not opposing you.
You should probably take your posts to the religion forum. This is not.

And luckily, Times Daily doesnt delete posts because certain folks dont agree with what is being said in them (if they did, there wouldnt be a lot of 'discussion' on the forum). They are referring to six kids over in the DUCK thread, I dont see you over there hounding them about not talking about kids....

Or maybe its because one of the subjects of this discussion is your child.....

But by all means, keep posting here and keep the pot stirred. We can keep this subject bumped to the top of the forum list for as long as you folks want to keep it there.

Jeepin'
quote:
Originally posted by In The Zone:
Maybe these words will help you to know that we are not all perfect and that mistakes are made.


Are you now owning up the the fact that he made a threat? Maybe he can stop by the forum and admit that he made a mistake, learn from it and move on. All I have seen is denial that anything was done wrong and then delete, delete, delete.

We are a very forgiving group of forum members (for the most part), but I dont see any reason to forgive someone who has not accepted that they made a mistake in the first place.....

Jeepin'
It is obvious that the (CHILD) made a mistake, but we as adults should turn the other cheek.

This is not my child, but it is someones child so with all kindness I ask that you not continue this. Even if I would have not made a post you would have continued beacuse you are enjoying this. I am sure the parent of this child has made sure their child stays away from this forum. It would not be the right thing for the child to have to get back on here with the wolves.
quote:
Originally posted by In The Zone:
It is obvious that the (CHILD) made a mistake, but we as adults should turn the other cheek.

This is not my child, but it is someones child so with all kindness I ask that you not continue this. Even if I would have not made a post you would have continued beacuse you are enjoying this. I am sure the parent of this child has made sure their child stays away from this forum. It would not be the right thing for the child to have to get back on here with the wolves.


Are you posting from a facility? You sure do sound like a nut job to me.

"Blessed are the nut jobs cause they give us all a good laugh"....Javier
This "child" is 18 years old and a couple of weeks from graduation. Old enough to vote,get married and join the military. He is plenty old enough to take responsibility for his own actions and words. If he had threatened someone at school would all of you be coming to his side and pleading that he is just a "kid."
Any student altercations, (fights) will result in the Killen police removing those involved from school property. Parents will be required to pick up students at the police station.

I copied this from the Brooks website. Hoorah!! This is exactly what needs to happen.
Jeepin, let me be the first to admit I was wrong in asking the thread be deleted. I didn’t realize he was 18. yes he knows better and knew what he was doing. Kids in school shouldn’t be allowed to be on a forum posting anyway, that’s NOT why they are there
It is always such an effective method to for Christians to use Biblical quotes to make their point. I believe it paints Christians in such positive light that it is going to make everyone grab a bible and run to the churches. If you cannot make your point without using scriptures from the Bible, you most likely have spiraled to the bottom of the Holy Roller totem pole and there is no opening your eyes.
quote:
Originally posted by In The Zone:
quote:
Originally posted by ALmuckraker:
I am responding to the people who think this thread needs to be deleted.I think those who want this thread deleted are most likely the people who are either participating in these types of situations, or receiving special privileges because of who they know (or benefitting in some similar fashion). They are fearful of exposure because once the public is made aware, someone might actually care enough to take action and they may no longer have an advantage over people they tend to look down on. I refuse to be silenced on the subject and anyone who has a shred of decency about them should feel the same. We should desire for all children to be provided with an equitable opportunity for successful learning, inside and outside the classroom. It should make absolutely no difference how a child looks, how much money mommy and daddy have or who they know when it comes to the education system—this has nothing at all to do with their education. The idea of fair treatment should apply to all schools—not just Brooks. As cliché as it sounds, the youth is our future, they are an investment—human capital. If we deny a child (any child) the opportunity reach their maximum learning potential, then we are suppressing the future growth of our nation.

For the record, I read the “kids” post as a threat as well. People think they can make ambiguous statements, knowing all along their intended meaning, but as soon as an individual calls them out on it—all the sudden it becomes a situation of “that was not what was meant.” Let us be real, we all know what was meant by the statement—it was a threat, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Do not forget that we live in a country where 12 year olds are charged as adults for the crimes they commit (not always and not every state—and not saying I agree with it)…it seems at the very least we (all) should stop making excuses for the “kids” poor judgment and acknowledge that the statement was a threat. In the end, petting/babying children does them no favors…it does not prepare them for how the “real” world is. I do not expect everyone to agree with me on the subject and welcome your criticism (yes, even about my grammar)…just keeping it going.



James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


James 5:6
You have condemned the innocent one, who was not opposing you.
Yes, everybody let us turn the other cheek and allow kids of all ages to run wild. We certainly should let them beat each other up. We can always cross our fingers and hope that they do not injure anybody badly enough to get put in jail. Hope for the best...that is going to be my new motto--I think this will be the most effective way for parenting children.
quote:
Originally posted by In The Zone:
It is obvious that the (CHILD) made a mistake, but we as adults should turn the other cheek.

This is not my child, but it is someones child so with all kindness I ask that you not continue this. Even if I would have not made a post you would have continued beacuse you are enjoying this. I am sure the parent of this child has made sure their child stays away from this forum. It would not be the right thing for the child to have to get back on here with the wolves.
I agree, especially since this has become such a regular issue at the school. Hopefully these more extreme measures will deter students from fighting.
quote:
Originally posted by kimberleehel:
Any student altercations, (fights) will result in the Killen police removing those involved from school property. Parents will be required to pick up students at the police station.

I copied this from the Brooks website. Hoorah!! This is exactly what needs to happen.
quote:
Originally posted by Ang4Blake:
Jeepin, let me be the first to admit I was wrong in asking the thread be deleted. I didn’t realize he was 18. yes he knows better and knew what he was doing. Kids in school shouldn’t be allowed to be on a forum posting anyway, that’s NOT why they are there


I agree with you on that, I dont know why they would even have access to the forums at school.

But I have to stand by everything I have said, even if he was 13 (the TOS states that you can join the forum at 13). If a 13 year old (I almost hate to use the word child, I was expected to act like a respectable young adult at that age in public) is here on this forum participating, then they should act like an adult and will be treated like an adult in return. If they want to act immature, then they should expect many of us to call them out on it. If I was standing in Walmart and witnessed a teenager purposely disrespect someone, I would say something to them about growing up and acting their age (I have done just that in the Muscle Shoals Walmart.) It may not be my place to discipline someone elses teenager, but that doesnt stop me from telling a teenager how normal people should act in public, especially if they are out on their own with no other adults. Just like the kids that attacked that duck, should the general public just stand by and watch as things like that happen?

Someone agreed with me about the fact that this became about so much more than the threat. This became about whether or not it was a threat and whether or not other adults should call a teenager out when they make such a threat. His parents were not here to correct the action when it happened. If you were in public and a 13 year old threatened someone (assuming his parents werent around), would you stand by because he was a teenager or would you step in and say they needed to grow up and act respectably?

Jeepin'
quote:
Originally posted by In The Zone:
I am sure the parent of this child has made sure their child stays away from this forum. It would not be the right thing for the child to have to get back on here with the wolves.


Why are you sure the parent has made sure their child stays away from this forum.....unless, of course, you are the parent?
If we're wolves, what does that make you?
quote:
Originally posted by BFred07:
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen:
I am a student at Brooks High and I was a witness to the fight last week. It is so funny how you can read something that is so far from the truth and start dogging not only brooks high school but calling teachers out. The fight happend after lunch when 3 gothic kids tried to gang up on 1 football player. This forum really affends me because the person that posted it obviously has no clue of what happend. And before you know the real story you shouldt say a thing. And jerry hill is a great man and a father figure to me, if you have a problem with anything said on here I will be glad to come anywhere you want to work it out.


Your post is full of fragments, misspellings, and generally bad grammar. If you're a student at Brooks perhaps we should be "dogging" on the school a little.
So what's up with wanting to meet and "work it out" with anyone who has a problem with your post? Making such a juvenile statement shot any credibility you might have had with your recollection of the fight.


If all you have to do all day is jump all over some highschooler about their grammer then you really need to get a life. Since when do spelling abilities have anything to do with credibility. When I went to Brooks all of the "freaks" tried to start stuff with everybody. All you had to do was look at one of them wrong and they'd cuss you out for no reason. It's ridiculous how everybody pampers them because they "have a rough home life". While some of them do have bad situations at home, I've known NUMEROUS of them their whole life and they DO NOT have home problems, they just have a need for attention.
quote:
Originally posted by marykaySmiler:
quote:
Originally posted by BFred07:
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen:
I am a student at Brooks High and I was a witness to the fight last week. It is so funny how you can read something that is so far from the truth and start dogging not only brooks high school but calling teachers out. The fight happend after lunch when 3 gothic kids tried to gang up on 1 football player. This forum really affends me because the person that posted it obviously has no clue of what happend. And before you know the real story you shouldt say a thing. And jerry hill is a great man and a father figure to me, if you have a problem with anything said on here I will be glad to come anywhere you want to work it out.


Your post is full of fragments, misspellings, and generally bad grammar. If you're a student at Brooks perhaps we should be "dogging" on the school a little.
So what's up with wanting to meet and "work it out" with anyone who has a problem with your post? Making such a juvenile statement shot any credibility you might have had with your recollection of the fight.


If all you have to do all day is jump all over some highschooler about their grammer then you really need to get a life. Since when do spelling abilities have anything to do with credibility. When I went to Brooks all of the "freaks" tried to start stuff with everybody. All you had to do was look at one of them wrong and they'd cuss you out for no reason. It's ridiculous how everybody pampers them because they "have a rough home life". While some of them do have bad situations at home, I've known NUMEROUS of them their whole life and they DO NOT have home problems, they just have a need for attention.


lol, really I have nothing better to do, It's my hobby Smiler
Sarcasm aside, I would have ignored the the grammatical errors and said nothing if it were not for his obviously empty threat of violence. I just figured while I was at it that I would call him out on everything wrong with his post and not just his foolish remark. If he is going to start a public post with "I am a student at Brooks High School" then he has a responsibility to represent the school well. The way his post was composed did not exactly shed a good light on Brooks.
quote:
Originally posted by Trutooit-II:
Is Jerry Hill leaving. I hope so. He's no Coach Redding.

I loved Brooks when I went there and honestly don't remember too much bad stuff that happened during that time. Now its Allen Wilson and Andrew Scott and many others who drag the school's name thru the dirt. Time marches on.


Reding.
quote:
Originally posted by Buttercup:
quote:
Originally posted by educator:
You also must not be very familiar with texting, facebooking or any other networking that kids take part in these days..they do not spell ..they type symbols and portions of words to make their point.


Yeah, I used to work in HR, "educator", and frequently read through applications from young people in the post high school age group. I can tell you that many of them were denied even a call for an interview due to those "symbols and portions of words" because the way they text is the way they fill out job applications.

They might be making a point with their friends, but these kids are getting their applications tossed in the garbage because they aren't thoughtful enough to write out a coherent sentence on a job application - not all of them, but many.


This forum is not a job application nor the equivalent to one. Just because a student types in incomplete sentences on here doesn't mean they will do so on a job application.
quote:
Originally posted by Lets Go Jeepin':
quote:
Originally posted by Ang4Blake:
Jeepin, let me be the first to admit I was wrong in asking the thread be deleted. I didn’t realize he was 18. yes he knows better and knew what he was doing. Kids in school shouldn’t be allowed to be on a forum posting anyway, that’s NOT why they are there


I agree with you on that, I dont know why they would even have access to the forums at school.

But I have to stand by everything I have said, even if he was 13 (the TOS states that you can join the forum at 13). If a 13 year old (I almost hate to use the word child, I was expected to act like a respectable young adult at that age in public) is here on this forum participating, then they should act like an adult and will be treated like an adult in return. If they want to act immature, then they should expect many of us to call them out on it. If I was standing in Walmart and witnessed a teenager purposely disrespect someone, I would say something to them about growing up and acting their age (I have done just that in the Muscle Shoals Walmart.) It may not be my place to discipline someone elses teenager, but that doesnt stop me from telling a teenager how normal people should act in public, especially if they are out on their own with no other adults. Just like the kids that attacked that duck, should the general public just stand by and watch as things like that happen?

Someone agreed with me about the fact that this became about so much more than the threat. This became about whether or not it was a threat and whether or not other adults should call a teenager out when they make such a threat. His parents were not here to correct the action when it happened. If you were in public and a 13 year old threatened someone (assuming his parents werent around), would you stand by because he was a teenager or would you step in and say they needed to grow up and act respectably?

Jeepin'


Why does it not surprise me that you would attack somone you don't even know at Walmart. That is none of your business. That is not your child to discipline and you are not the manager on duty to maintain order. If there is obvious violence happen then find intervene for someone's safety, but I have the feeling this was not the case.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×