am I the only one who thinks its pretty pitiful for the city to have a speed trap set up four days before christmas. I understand that people shouldnt be speeding but it seems in bad taste to go out of there way to set up these speed traps, especially when there not even in construction zones.

A speeding ticket really makes for a nice christmas present, thanks Florence.
A wise man once said "If I said anything to offend you, I'm sorry, but I meant what I said".
Original Post
Strange place for this post. Sorry but I agree with alacharger. Holidays or middle of August, what's the difference. Part of a calculated risk (speeding) is calculating the cost of getting caught (ticket). Should've left sooner and driven slower. Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome.
The reason we call an area a "speed trap" is because is tricks people into speeding. 55...45...55...if someone is unfamiliar with the area & not expecting the fluctuation in speed, they fall into the trap. Sounds like a good way to tick people off to me.

However, I'm not sure this is what CE is describing. Something was set up? I don't know what you are referring to. If you mean someone was hiding to catch you speeding, I'd have to pat the officer on the back for a job well done. Smiler
THE CITY OF FLORENCE IS UNFAIR TO THE CITIZENS WHO HAPPEN TO GET A TICKET. I'M NOT THE BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD ,BUT I DO TRY ... I RESPECT THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD,I'M IN NO HURRY GIVE ALL MY SIGNALS ETC. BUT I HAVE GOTTEN A TICKET OR TWO OVER THE YEARS.TWO TO BE EXACT,NOT FOR SPEEDING. I UNDERSTAND THE COMMENT ABOUT THE SPEED TRAP,NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. THATS HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. HOW ELSE ARE THEY GONNA PAY THE BILLS,SALRIES ETC,FOR THE FLORENCE POLICE DEPT.WHAT REALLY MAKES ME MAD,IS THAT WHEN I GOT MY TWO TICKETS ,I'M 50 AND HAVE ONLY HAD A TOTAL OF FOUR IN MY LIFE. THE MOST RECENT WAS TWO YEARS AGO... FAILURE TO DIM MY HEADLIGHTS, A $20 DOLLAR TICKET.I GOT ONE THREE YEARS AGO FOR A BLOWN HEADLIGHT AND NO SEATBELT,ANOTHER $20 FINE. BOTH TIMES I WENT THE NEXT DAY TO PAY THE TICKET AND IT WAS NOT $20 LIKE IT SAID ON THE LIST OF FINES IN THE STATION NO!!!!!!IT WAS $120 SEEMS I OWED THEM FOR COURT COST. THAT IS JUST WRONG. I WAS WILLING TO PAY THE FINE BUT ANOTHER $100 BUCKS FOR COURT COST WHEN I WASNT EVEN IN COURT.TALK ABOUT ROBBERY.NOW EVERYTIME I SEE A SHARK IN BLUE I CHRINGE,WONDERING IF I'M GONNA HAVE TO TAKE HARD EARNED MONEY FROM MY FAMILY AND PAY A STUPID FINE AND A COURT COST THAT IS UNFAIR AND JUST DOWNRIGHT WRONG.I WENT TO COURT... I'M GONNA HAVE TO PAY THE COURT COST I'M GONNA SEE THE INSIDE OF THE COURTROOM.THAT IS NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO DO,BUT I WAS GONNA GET SOMETHING FOR MY MONEY.I WAS IN THERE FOR 3 HOURS WITH OVER 250 PEOPLE THAT DAY.THE JUDGE CALLED A GROUP OF PEOPLE AT A TIME. THE FIRST ONE WAS A YOUNG MOTHER OF 3 WHO SHE HAD WITH HER ,AND SHE WAS CRYING"SHE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN AWARD FOR HER ACTING"WELL THE KIND HEARTED JUDGE TOLD HER IT WOULD BE OK THAT HE COULD WORK IT OUT FOR HER AND EVEN ASK HOW MUCH SHE COULD AFFORD ON A PAYMENT PLAN.SHE WALKED OUT WITHOUT TO MUCH PROBLEM... NEXT IN LINE WAS A FINE YOUNG MAN WHO I KNOW AND IT SEEMS HE HAD AN OPEN CONTAINER IN HIS CAR... I BET IT WASNT PEPSI.HE WALKED AWAY GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR ,HE TOLD ME HE ONLY HAD TO PAY $35 FOR HIS TOTAL FINE,THE "JUDGE" DROPED THE COURT COST????AFTER THESE PEOPLE WAS A MAN WHO WAS IN FOR 3 CHARGES,POSESSION,CONCEALED WEPON AND NO ONE OTHER TRAFFIC TICKET. WELL HE HAD A GOOD LAWYER AND WALKED ON ALL CHARGES BECAUSE SOMETHING WASNT RIGHT ON HIS PAPERWORK.NEXT IN LINE YOURS TRULY. IT WAS LIKE THEY CHANGED JUDGES ON ME. HE WAS ARROGENT AND RUDE,HE GAVE ME 3 CHOICES. I COULD GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL FOR A WEEK AND HE WOULD DROP THE FINE ,NOT THE COURT COST ,OR I COULD APPEAL THE CHARGES, OR I COULD PAY THE FINE $120 OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY, FOR A STUPID TICKET.I POLITELY TOLD THE JUDGE THE HE WAS WASTING MY TIME TO GIVE ME THE TICKET AND I WOULD LEAVE.I RESPECT THE AUTHORITY,I RESPECT MY ELDERS,BUT A SYSTEM THAT IS STEALING MONEY FROM ME I HAVE NO USE FOR.BECAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE,WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER DRIVER. MURDERS,RAPIST ,HARDCORE CRIMINALS OF ALL KINDS ARE FREE ON THE STREETS BUT IF YOU SPEED OR FAIL TO DIM YOUR HEADLIGHTS YOU'LL BE GIVING YOU HARD EARNED MONEY TO A CORRUPT SYSTEM. THAT IS ALL
The best speed trap in the area may be the one at Rogersville. Although it is mostly maintained by the state troopers. It goes like this 65,55,45,35,45,55, 45,55. I'm not saying people don't need to slow down in those areas, but a strait 45 would work. The most useless is at Brooks High School, all it does is back up traffic so it takes the kids longer to get out.
Maddmax333,

First, using all capital letters is considered "yelling". Quiet down please :-) Some of us are trying to sleep.

Second, either you've been overcharged or you're mistaken. Seatbelt tickets and open container tickets by legislative act do not have any court costs attached to them. They each carry a $25.00 fine with no court cost.

Third, a "blown" headlight is an equipment violation. If you had taken time to read the back of the ticket, you could have seen that you had 72 hours to correct the problem, present it to the appropriate Police department and it could have been checked off, with no cost or court appearance required.

Finally, Alabama doesn't have a week long defensive driving school. 4 hour or 8 hour...that's it.

I comprehend that you are frustrated over what you see as excessive court costs. Court costs are not set by local courts....that is set by the legislature. Minimum fines (like $20.00 for speeding is the minimum fine...maximum is $500.00 plus court costs)are also set by the legislature. So a lot of your complaint is not under the control of the people you're complaining about.
quote:
"am I the only one who thinks its pretty pitiful for the city to have a speed trap set up four days before christmas."


Yes.

Yes, it is pretty.

Yes, it is pitiful.

Therefore, it is lovely and to be pitied.

Take a pretty stranger (or a wayfaring, poor pregnant out-of-town couple) into your home!

It's the holiday season!

Don't do speed.

Don't do crack.

Don't crack the speed.

Don't crack a smile.

(Punctuation and capitalization can be one's friends!)

Overheard: Civil engineer make targets for Mechanical engineers to destroy.
Speed Traps shouldnt surprise anyone... been going on for all my driving years.

In the mornings, almost EVERY single morning before 5:30 AM, there is a cop backed into a parking lot that the Road Crew made about 1/4 mile past the Light going into muscle shoals from the New Bridge... Backed in, Lights off... EVERY DAY!!!! Never seen him stop anyone, nor even turn lights on, ... it is either a speed trap, or break time, lol.
quote:
Originally posted by civil.engineer:
am I the only one who thinks its pretty pitiful for the city to have a speed trap set up four days before christmas. I understand that people shouldnt be speeding but it seems in bad taste to go out of there way to set up these speed traps, especially when there not even in construction zones.

A speeding ticket really makes for a nice christmas present, thanks Florence.


Or takes a nice Christmas Present AWAY from a small child... Roll Eyes

At one time, I was under the MISTAKEN impression that Speed traps were ILLEGAL... Trapping of anykind is illegal, or used to be, or was supposed to be, LOL!
quote:
Originally posted by maddmax333:
THE CITY OF FLORENCE IS UNFAIR TO THE CITIZENS WHO HAPPEN TO GET A TICKET. I'M NOT THE BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD ,BUT I DO TRY ... I RESPECT THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD,I'M IN NO HURRY GIVE ALL MY SIGNALS ETC. BUT I HAVE GOTTEN A TICKET OR TWO OVER THE YEARS.TWO TO BE EXACT,NOT FOR SPEEDING. I UNDERSTAND THE COMMENT ABOUT THE SPEED TRAP,NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. THATS HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. HOW ELSE ARE THEY GONNA PAY THE BILLS,SALRIES ETC,FOR THE FLORENCE POLICE DEPT.WHAT REALLY MAKES ME MAD,IS THAT WHEN I GOT MY TWO TICKETS ,I'M 50 AND HAVE ONLY HAD A TOTAL OF FOUR IN MY LIFE. THE MOST RECENT WAS TWO YEARS AGO... FAILURE TO DIM MY HEADLIGHTS, A $20 DOLLAR TICKET.I GOT ONE THREE YEARS AGO FOR A BLOWN HEADLIGHT AND NO SEATBELT,ANOTHER $20 FINE. BOTH TIMES I WENT THE NEXT DAY TO PAY THE TICKET AND IT WAS NOT $20 LIKE IT SAID ON THE LIST OF FINES IN THE STATION NO!!!!!!IT WAS $120 SEEMS I OWED THEM FOR COURT COST. THAT IS JUST WRONG. I WAS WILLING TO PAY THE FINE BUT ANOTHER $100 BUCKS FOR COURT COST WHEN I WASNT EVEN IN COURT.TALK ABOUT ROBBERY.NOW EVERYTIME I SEE A SHARK IN BLUE I CHRINGE,WONDERING IF I'M GONNA HAVE TO TAKE HARD EARNED MONEY FROM MY FAMILY AND PAY A STUPID FINE AND A COURT COST THAT IS UNFAIR AND JUST DOWNRIGHT WRONG.I WENT TO COURT... I'M GONNA HAVE TO PAY THE COURT COST I'M GONNA SEE THE INSIDE OF THE COURTROOM.THAT IS NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO DO,BUT I WAS GONNA GET SOMETHING FOR MY MONEY.I WAS IN THERE FOR 3 HOURS WITH OVER 250 PEOPLE THAT DAY.THE JUDGE CALLED A GROUP OF PEOPLE AT A TIME. THE FIRST ONE WAS A YOUNG MOTHER OF 3 WHO SHE HAD WITH HER ,AND SHE WAS CRYING"SHE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN AWARD FOR HER ACTING"WELL THE KIND HEARTED JUDGE TOLD HER IT WOULD BE OK THAT HE COULD WORK IT OUT FOR HER AND EVEN ASK HOW MUCH SHE COULD AFFORD ON A PAYMENT PLAN.SHE WALKED OUT WITHOUT TO MUCH PROBLEM... NEXT IN LINE WAS A FINE YOUNG MAN WHO I KNOW AND IT SEEMS HE HAD AN OPEN CONTAINER IN HIS CAR... I BET IT WASNT PEPSI.HE WALKED AWAY GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR ,HE TOLD ME HE ONLY HAD TO PAY $35 FOR HIS TOTAL FINE,THE "JUDGE" DROPED THE COURT COST????AFTER THESE PEOPLE WAS A MAN WHO WAS IN FOR 3 CHARGES,POSESSION,CONCEALED WEPON AND NO ONE OTHER TRAFFIC TICKET. WELL HE HAD A GOOD LAWYER AND WALKED ON ALL CHARGES BECAUSE SOMETHING WASNT RIGHT ON HIS PAPERWORK.NEXT IN LINE YOURS TRULY. IT WAS LIKE THEY CHANGED JUDGES ON ME. HE WAS ARROGENT AND RUDE,HE GAVE ME 3 CHOICES. I COULD GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL FOR A WEEK AND HE WOULD DROP THE FINE ,NOT THE COURT COST ,OR I COULD APPEAL THE CHARGES, OR I COULD PAY THE FINE $120 OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY, FOR A STUPID TICKET.I POLITELY TOLD THE JUDGE THE HE WAS WASTING MY TIME TO GIVE ME THE TICKET AND I WOULD LEAVE.I RESPECT THE AUTHORITY,I RESPECT MY ELDERS,BUT A SYSTEM THAT IS STEALING MONEY FROM ME I HAVE NO USE FOR.BECAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE,WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER DRIVER. MURDERS,RAPIST ,HARDCORE CRIMINALS OF ALL KINDS ARE FREE ON THE STREETS BUT IF YOU SPEED OR FAIL TO DIM YOUR HEADLIGHTS YOU'LL BE GIVING YOU HARD EARNED MONEY TO A CORRUPT SYSTEM. THAT IS ALL



NEXT TIME... VOTE THEM ALL OUT, LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT... surprising what one will do when it is "election" time,.... maybe even the Judges???
I really and truly believe that if I had to pay a court cost, and did NOT have to go to court, I would sue. If I went to court, I would understand, and not argue, but pay a court cost for NO COURT??? Does that mean, that in the future, you will have to pay for surgery when you only have the flue?

This stuff sickens me...

VOTE THEM ALLLLLLLLL OUT!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Teggere:
The best speed trap in the area may be the one at Rogersville. Although it is mostly maintained by the state troopers. It goes like this 65,55,45,35,45,55, 45,55. I'm not saying people don't need to slow down in those areas, but a strait 45 would work. The most useless is at Brooks High School, all it does is back up traffic so it takes the kids longer to get out.


AVALON, in front of McBride Middle School... this is horrid!!! There is an OVER THE ROAD walk through, so children dont even have to get on the road, but they STILL expect motorists to crawl, and that is just plain NOT right... ...
quote:
Originally posted by flotown1868:
Alacharger, your statements in the last paragraph of your post are incorrect. Thats all i will say. I cannot and will not post a legal analysis.


flotown, GOOD for you, because this is NOT the first time I have heard about stuff like this in Florence... Someone better Wake up and not only smell the coffee, but DRINK it, lol.. Big Grin
I would like to respond to this issue. I used to be a reserve police officer in a small town around here, one that had a bad rap for citing speeders. The whole time I was riding we hardly ever wrote for less than 10 over the posted limit. We still made people mad when they would get a citation for this. I have been in emergency services for almost 15 years and I have seen many accidents because of exessive speed. I do not fault the officers for doing their job, in fact I thank them for thier work to try to make the streets safer for all of us. Now I do not think Florence or any other town has "speed traps", what I think is people in a hurry and speeding get mad because they got caught. All I can say is if you dont want a ticket then slow down and pay attention. I know that Christmas is a bad time for a ticket, but what if someone you know got into an accident because of someone speeding then that would make Christmas much worse. So count your blessings and thank the men and women in blue for their sacrifice to help make this area a safer place to live.
quote:
I would like to respond to this issue. I used to be a reserve police officer in a small town around here, one that had a bad rap for citing speeders. The whole time I was riding we hardly ever wrote for less than 10 over the posted limit. We still made people mad when they would get a citation for this. I have been in emergency services for almost 15 years and I have seen many accidents because of exessive speed. I do not fault the officers for doing their job, in fact I thank them for thier work to try to make the streets safer for all of us. Now I do not think Florence or any other town has "speed traps", what I think is people in a hurry and speeding get mad because they got caught. All I can say is if you dont want a ticket then slow down and pay attention. I know that Christmas is a bad time for a ticket, but what if someone you know got into an accident because of someone speeding then that would make Christmas much worse. So count your blessings and thank the men and women in blue for their sacrifice to help make this area a safer place to live.



Very well stated. To add, I think they should start ticketing TAILGATERS too!
Wake up people!!!!!!!!! Regardless whether it is speeding or a broken tail light or whatever.If it is illegal it is illegal. An old saying is " Laws are made to be broken." Laws are made to be obeyed, they are for the protection of the people.If you are breaking the law then you are guilty. If you are speeding, have an accident you are breaking the law. If you were doing the speed limit the car you had the accident with would have been gone and the accident is less likely to occur. Laws need to be inforced. Most accidents are caused by someone breaking the law. I hate to deal with people going 10MPH in left lane but I move to the right lane and go on. If we obey the law we don't get a ticket, if we disobey the law we take a chance on getting a ticket. Sure most people speed sometimes but face it if we are speeding then we are breaking the law and we deserve a ticket, if we do not come to a complete stop and run a stop sign or go thru a red light then we deserve a ticket plain and simple. People complain about the cops need to be getting rapist, murders, etc. If we obey traffic laws then they vould spend more time on those things but with so many people breaking traffic laws then they have to spend time giving traffic tickets. Whether it is a speedtrap or not if you are doing the speed limit you have nothing to worry about. Whether it is four days before Christmas or June 12th the law is the law. More traffic is on the highways during holidays and more accidents are likely to happen. But they are less likely to happen if we obey the traffic laws. I respect the men in blue and hope they keep doing their job. They might keep someone from killing a member of my family or a friend by giving tickets.
do you know what a "speed trap" is? it's an officer of the law DOING HIS JOB!!! no such thing as a speed trap. if you can put the cellfone down and quit messing with the radio and PAY ATTENTION to the posted signs and laws,
you might very well NOT get another ticket. 45
means 45, not 55 or 60. you have a speedometer in your vehicle for a reason. you might try looking at it every now and then.
quote:
Originally posted by themax:
Regarding, tailgating I had a trooper friend of tell me that only excess speed caused more accidents than tailgating.


Actually, failure to yield right of way is the primary cause of accidents in Alabama...has been for a lot of years. Misjudging stopping distance (yep, tailgating)is #2.
While we are on the subject of speed trap...does anyone know why it is still 35 mph across the new shoal creek bridge? I dont see anymore work going on...is it just so the state troopers can keep giving out tickets as fast as they can write them. I go through there every day and cannot see the first sign of any construction work going on!
quote:
Originally posted by corndog:
While we are on the subject of speed trap...does anyone know why it is still 35 mph across the new shoal creek bridge? I dont see anymore work going on...is it just so the state troopers can keep giving out tickets as fast as they can write them. I go through there every day and cannot see the first sign of any construction work going on!


Not hardly. The contractor is still finishing up the striping and signs. They were working on it Thursday when I was through there.

BTW, with the number of construction zone ahead, reduced speed zone ahead, and speed limit signs in the area, there's no way it can be considered a "speed trap". Not to mention most all if it is a straight line view in any direction, and you can see for a half mile from just about anywhere. Anybody that gets a ticket speeding through there just plain deserves it.
quote:
Originally posted by tenglish2000:
I would like to respond to this issue. I used to be a reserve police officer in a small town around here, one that had a bad rap for citing speeders. The whole time I was riding we hardly ever wrote for less than 10 over the posted limit. We still made people mad when they would get a citation for this. I have been in emergency services for almost 15 years and I have seen many accidents because of exessive speed. I do not fault the officers for doing their job, in fact I thank them for thier work to try to make the streets safer for all of us. Now I do not think Florence or any other town has "speed traps", what I think is people in a hurry and speeding get mad because they got caught. All I can say is if you dont want a ticket then slow down and pay attention. I know that Christmas is a bad time for a ticket, but what if someone you know got into an accident because of someone speeding then that would make Christmas much worse. So count your blessings and thank the men and women in blue for their sacrifice to help make this area a safer place to live.


I don't think anyone on here is taking up for the speeder,... it is the ILLEGAL SPEED TRAPS that is the complaint. Surely, if you used to work Reserve, you already KNOW there are speed traps, and you further KNOW they are ILLEGAL!!!
quote:
Originally posted by jeksfg:
do you know what a "speed trap" is? it's an officer of the law DOING HIS JOB!!! no such thing as a speed trap. if you can put the cellfone down and quit messing with the radio and PAY ATTENTION to the posted signs and laws,
you might very well NOT get another ticket. 45
means 45, not 55 or 60. you have a speedometer in your vehicle for a reason. you might try looking at it every now and then.


ONCE AGAIN... no one is taking up for the speeders, or even putting Officers of the Law down for writing them tickets, ... complaints are ILLEGAL SPEED TRAPS!!! Backing into a dark parking lot, with NO lights is entrapment at its finest... never would hold up in court. SPEEDING IS ILLEGAL... SPEED TRAPS ARE ILLEGAL... So which one is the better person????? Neither, that is who!
quote:
Originally posted by jeksfg:
do you know what a "speed trap" is? it's an officer of the law DOING HIS JOB!!! no such thing as a speed trap. if you can put the cellfone down and quit messing with the radio and PAY ATTENTION to the posted signs and laws,
you might very well NOT get another ticket. 45
means 45, not 55 or 60. you have a speedometer in your vehicle for a reason. you might try looking at it every now and then.


Back in the old days before cell phones there were speed traps. When there is a cop sitting 10 feet on the other side of a speed limit sign that is a reduced speed I would think that is a speed trap. One must have time to slow down.
quote:
Originally posted by Yo Brotha from anotha Motha:
quote:
Originally posted by jeksfg:
do you know what a "speed trap" is? it's an officer of the law DOING HIS JOB!!! no such thing as a speed trap. if you can put the cellfone down and quit messing with the radio and PAY ATTENTION to the posted signs and laws,
you might very well NOT get another ticket. 45
means 45, not 55 or 60. you have a speedometer in your vehicle for a reason. you might try looking at it every now and then.


Back in the old days before cell phones there were speed traps. When there is a cop sitting 10 feet on the other side of a speed limit sign that is a reduced speed I would think that is a speed trap. One must have time to slow down.


YO, I couldnt agree more, and this particular Speed Trap that I am talking about IS between two signs that reduces speed, and he/she ONLY sits there in the dark. Now maybe I am totally wrong and the officer is just taking a break, ya think?
Regarding the scenario that I've interpreted from the last few posts...the posters are saying a speed trap is an officer issuing citations just past where the speed limit on one section of a road/highway decreases to a lower limit. As in it was 55 mph, then reduces to 45 and the officer writes anybody who is going faster than 45 and is past the 45 mph sign a ticket.

OK, who's gonna step up and tell me just how far past the sign you are legally able to exceed the new limit?...Or (a little easier) how far YOU think it should be?
Ten feet, a hundred, a thousand, a quarter mile? Who's gonna be the one to say..."from this point on, ya gotta be below 45 mph or you really should get a ticket"...who? Speed limit signs are usually 18"x 24"...they can be seen for a lot further distance than it takes to break 10 or even 20 mph.

Concerning the cop backed up in the dark...there is no law that specifies how cops can watch traffic. Heck, it's legal in Alabama for them to use aircraft from 10,000 feet. Cops can used unmarked vehicles, be on foot, or on bikes or motorcycles.

I don't recall anybody posting that they've seen this particular cop come zooming out and after anybody...could be that it's his regular place to stop and catch up on his shift's paperwork. Or maybe he's had some complaints about reckless driving in the area. Or maybe he's eating his lunch in the car instead of at a greasy spoon. Or maybe he was raised in the area and just feels like he's watching over his home. Lots of possiblilities.
The term speed trap refers to a point where speed limits are strictly enforced by police. It is generally understood as meaning a specific location in which police wait in concealment. For example, a police car might wait behind a bridge or overpass, out of sight of approaching motorists, but has also been applied to locations where a speed camera is posted.

In California traffic law, evidence obtained from speed traps Roll Eyes is not admissible. A speed trap usually means a speed limit that is arbitrarily set, not related to prevailing speeds or hidden dangers, or a speed limit that is enforced by manually measuring travel times over a measured distance. Photo enforcement for traffic signals measure vehicle speeds to set the beginning of the yellow signal indication phase. Some courts have ruled that this is not a speed trap.

The term speed trap is usually used by motorists, not by enforcement officers. It may be considered pejorative, and use of the term may suggest the appearance of speed enforcement by concealed means or excessively strict speed enforcement.

Speed traps have been used since the beginning of the 20th Century as a means to enforce speed limits, and Britain's Automobile Association was set up specifically to notify members of speed traps.

Cities or road sections become known as speed traps where police have a reputation for writing an unusually high number of traffic tickets, especially speeding tickets. Sometimes the posted speed limits are not easily seen; in other places, the limits might be set excessively low.

Speed traps often are found in small towns, often near major highways, in which travelers are less likely to return and challenge a ticket. Speed trap towns typically have an unusually large percentage of their local workforce dedicated to traffic law enforcement or judiciary occupations. Furthermore, traffic fines make up an unusually large percentage of income for speed trap towns.
i'm definitely not going to take the side of the "speeders" in this one, there is no such thing as "illegal speed traps" as well. all you have to do is SLOW DOWN!!! drive the speed limit, WATCH for signs, and above all, SLOW DOWN. walmart ain't gonna close before you get there. we wouldn't be having this discussion about "illegal speed traps" if you didn't get a ticket for "BREAKING THE SPEED LIMIT!!!" look at the posted signs, DUH!
quote:
Originally posted by jeksfg:
i'm definitely not going to take the side of the "speeders" in this one, there is no such thing as "illegal speed traps" as well. all you have to do is SLOW DOWN!!! drive the speed limit, WATCH for signs, and above all, SLOW DOWN. walmart ain't gonna close before you get there. we wouldn't be having this discussion about "illegal speed traps" if you didn't get a ticket for "BREAKING THE SPEED LIMIT!!!" look at the posted signs, DUH!


My Sisters Frilly Skirt

Sounds like you didn't read this whole thread, NO ONE was taking up for any of the actual speeders, but when signs change so quick, and there are policemen sitting in the middle of the change, it is a speed trap. If tickets need to be written for speeders, there are enough people out there speeding, running stop signs, and running red lights and making illegal lane changes to have to set up speed traps. I don't think anyone said anything about AGREEING with breaking the law, so please read the entire thread before coming on here blasting those of us who just don't like seeing police take advantage of CERTAIN situations.
Dear Mr. Citizen:

It seems you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop". Unfortunately, the reverse is true..I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am a person to be aware of, and then you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy...the criminal.

You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell with the person who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "FOUL!!" if you observe me driving fast, en route to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call.

You call it "part of my duty" if someone strikes me. But it's "police brutality" if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or a doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always giving me pointers on law enforcement.

You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand there and take it without batting an eye.

You say "something has to be done about all the crime", but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver a baby on the back seat of my squad car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours of overtime to find your lost daughter.

So, Dear Citizen, you stand there on your soap box and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing...me or one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me......The Lousy Cop!

(Author unknown)
In all fairness,I have been stopped once at the Shoal Creek bridge zone. I was not paying attention to my speed which was 48 I was told. The trooper let me off with a warning. I was very thankful and have watched my speed since then. But I will be sooo glad when the limits are changed.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×