Reading many of the threads here leads me to question - do normal people post on forums?

Are forums a place that the normal, works 40 hour a week, married, 2.5 kids with a dog kind of people spend their time?

I've spent more time away from this forum than on it lately and I must say reading some of the crap people post on here makes me wonder exactly what type of people have time to come up with some of this stuff.

People need to spend more time helping people with real problems, hands on, get involved type of work instead of quarreling over many of the things posted here that are based on opinions, not facts, and posted by people that desire nothing more than to shame our country, our servicemen and women, and our religious practices.

Signing off for now and just possibly for good.
Original Post
YES. Posting on forums is not unnatural. THERFORE NORMAL PEOPLE POST ON FORUMS. Actually, ELITE, INTELLECTUALLY SUPERIOR, INTERESTED AND INTERESTING PEOPLE POST TO FORUMS LIKE THIS ONE AND OTHER.

Do normal People work as Journaists? Or go to Church Saturdays and Wednesdays? Do normal people eat Wheaties?

OF COURSE NORMAL PEOPLE US FORUMS. You, are normal...me, I am not so sure about.
quote:
Originally posted by imho:
Reading many of the threads here leads me to question - do normal people post on forums?

Are forums a place that the normal, works 40 hour a week, married, 2.5 kids with a dog kind of people spend their time?


Wow! I must be further from normal than I thought. Sounds like a new topic to me. How about, "What Is Normal?"
As long as I have been here, I have seen an immense amount of intelligence, I have learned a lot, and I guess that I am a better person for taking away the knowledge that members here have shared...

Normal isn't exactly the normal it was 15 years ago, lol... and I guess this post can turn out to be a really good FUN post if we want it to... because another thing I have learned about the people here is that there is a lot of humor on here, lot of laughs... even 'dry' humor that cracks me up... (yeah, you know who you are)..

TWO POINT FIVE KIDS???? Oooops, I messed up and had THREE.. but nothing I can do about that now, since they are all grown!!! lol..

And drdemo has a good point to.... in this day and time ... WHAT IS NORMAL???? Normal has taken on so many faces during my life it is unreal... We get acclimated to 'certain' things, and next thing you know, IT IS NORMAL.. .. So I guess that is a great question for the year 2007... Wink
[QUOTE]Originally posted by imho:
Reading many of the threads here leads me to question - do normal people post on forums?

Are forums a place that the normal, works 40 hour a week, married, 2.5 kids with a dog kind of people spend their time?

I've spent more time away from this forum than on it lately and I must say reading some of the crap people post on here makes me wonder exactly what type of people have time to come up with some of this stuff.

People need to spend more time helping people with real problems, hands on, get involved type of work instead of quarreling over many of the things posted here that are based on opinions, not facts, and posted by people that desire nothing more than to shame our country, our servicemen and women, and our religious practices.

Signing off for now and just possibly for good.[/QUOTE

Are you normal?
[Are forums a place that the normal, works 40 hour a week, married, 2.5 kids with a dog kind of people spend their time?]

and anyone wonders WHY this country got into the shape it is. Too much of this "normal" mindset crap,,folks being TOLD what is or is not "normal".
But since we have been enlightened this morning,would somebody explain to me how you have a .5 kid?
quote:
Originally posted by smurph:
[Are forums a place that the normal, works 40 hour a week, married, 2.5 kids with a dog kind of people spend their time?]

and anyone wonders WHY this country got into the shape it is. Too much of this "normal" mindset crap,,folks being TOLD what is or is not "normal".
But since we have been enlightened this morning,would somebody explain to me how you have a .5 kid?


Pssst...I think it's an average, which is something I strive to be!
quote:
Originally posted by dbt123:
"Normal" is a great setting on my washing machine. That's the only "normal" I know.


YEAH!!!What he said! Maybe I need a "heavy wash" "rinse" and "high spin" to get back to normal! Hmmm........that leaves me wondering what temp and water level setting I should use.


And after going through all that you still have to decide if you want to drip dry or use the dryer. That leads to more decisions,
Being normal is too much work.
Who you calling normal? The voices in my head say that they resent being called normal. My dog just told me that he's normal, and will remain so if I will feed him steak and ground round from a golden bowl. WAIT, I got to put my tinfoil hat on.....that'll make me normal Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by alacharger:
Who you calling normal? The voices in my head say that they resent being called normal. My dog just told me that he's normal, and will remain so if I will feed him steak and ground round from a golden bowl. WAIT, I got to put my tinfoil hat on.....that'll make me normal Eeker

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was going crazy! When in fact, I think I must have been tuned into the frequency at your house because I don't even have a dog.

I have had to start locking the doors though because the squirrels have been muttering something about eating my nuts. I think the birds must be cussing because everything they say keeps getting peeped out.
quote:
Originally posted by Ubermensch:
I think the question here is do any real people with original ideas and opinions post here or is this just a wasteland for political hate speech?


You are correct. I find it refreshing when someone posts their own thoughts and feelings, rather than cut and paste someone elses statements.

Yes, there are a lot of people who give honest consideration to topics on forums. But there are people who only want to stir up discord and create confusion on forums. They hide behind the anonymity of this type of forum, knowing that their true identity is secure. They surf various forums until they find one that they can "bait" with topics obviously intended to incite inflamed answers. I don't say they don't have a right to do so, just that they are a part of what other forum users have to endure. Forum owners do have a right to censure what is posted, and some do so more than others. Very few forum moderators will tolerate personal attacks, bad language or exposing the true identity of a poster.
[I think the question here is do any real people with original ideas and opinions post here or is this just a wasteland for political hate speech?]

I disagree strongly with this observation. Political hate speech is something that is judged by the person reading. No one has to tell me,nor did I have to be influenced by media to come to my opnion of GWB,,all it took was WATCHING ,LISTENING,and READING his political moves and beliefs. Now if I am on a thread on this forum and state my opnions of disgust for the man ,THAT OPNION IS ORIGINAL FOR ME,,it is MINE.
A wasteland? Sorry not everyone is living with a mindset of the 40s and 50s and think everything politicialns do is next in line to the very acts of God. Maybe had people had a different look at politicians way back then,versus believing everyword spoken things would be different now.
I have learned things on this forum. I have had some knowledge thrown on me by some of the posters.
Sorry this forum does not meet to your expectations of the Cleaver familys existence

but some of us like it!
quote:
Originally posted by drdemo35:
quote:
Originally posted by alacharger:
Who you calling normal? The voices in my head say that they resent being called normal. My dog just told me that he's normal, and will remain so if I will feed him steak and ground round from a golden bowl. WAIT, I got to put my tinfoil hat on.....that'll make me normal Eeker

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was going crazy! When in fact, I think I must have been tuned into the frequency at your house because I don't even have a dog.

I have had to start locking the doors though because the squirrels have been muttering something about eating my nuts. I think the birds must be cussing because everything they say keeps getting peeped out.


I can let you talk to one of my dogs. I have five, all specsclist in their fields. Can't hurt.
  
Wink
quote:
Originally posted by alacharger:
quote:
Originally posted by Ubermensch:
I think the question here is do any real people with original ideas and opinions post here or is this just a wasteland for political hate speech?


You are correct. I find it refreshing when someone posts their own thoughts and feelings, rather than cut and paste someone elses statements.

Yes, there are a lot of people who give honest consideration to topics on forums. But there are people who only want to stir up discord and create confusion on forums. They hide behind the anonymity of this type of forum, knowing that their true identity is secure. They surf various forums until they find one that they can "bait" with topics obviously intended to incite inflamed answers. I don't say they don't have a right to do so, just that they are a part of what other forum users have to endure. Forum owners do have a right to censure what is posted, and some do so more than others. Very few forum moderators will tolerate personal attacks, bad language or exposing the true identity of a poster.


I understood the post when I read the title. I was wondering the same thing myself. I wouldn't have used the term "normal people" though, because of what "normal" implies.

The sad thing is that it seems that these people ARE the majority in the world today.
It is sad, but seemingly true. Very depressing.

I have only been reading the forums for a few days and have noticed that most of the posts are not about news at all. Most of them are ...."What is your opinion about.....?", which I am not saying is a bad thing, but if it is only to stir up a debate, then to me it is useless.
I have also noticed that some of the posts are just opinions of one political party or another on a subject. Nothing to do with a news story at all, just forcing someone's opinion. The sad part is that it is "copy and paste" from somewhere else, showing that instead of an "original" idea or thought on a subject, the person spends their time searching for articles that mirror their thoughts and ideas and paste them here.
WHY? Who knows? Maybe to try to sway opinions which is mostly a waste of time, because everyone has an opinion based on life experience and are not easily swayed. Maybe these people think that there are tons of stupid people that can't think for themselves in the world, and that they will be coming to the TDF for guidance.
I'm not saying that running across something interesting and posting it on here is wrong. But obviously searching for things to force your opinion is a little silly. It is very evident.
But another thing that has bothered me about this forum is not only the flooding of "copy and paste" opinions. Also, it seems that there is a battle for power going on in the forum community. What I am talking about is that it seems that many of the "regulars" here do a lot of insulting each other and bickering back and forth, like in some power struggle. Personally, I am more impressed with behaving like adults and expressing opinions and respecting other people's opinions than I am by what you have done for a living, who you know, or how intelligent you think you are. It is quite obvious when a post or reply is put here for the sole purpose of making you look smarter than you really are or to brag about knowing something or someone that no one else does.

If you are sick of reading cut and paste posts by a certain person, or any posts by certain people.... You know what their posts are going to be about. Don't waste your time reading or replying to them. If their goal is to stir something up, don't give them that satisfaction. Someone else might reply and give them that satisfaction, but if they do, they won't do it many times before they figure out that is why it was posted and they will also stop wasting their time on such nonsense.

Just my opinion....probably will not make many people here very happy, but who cares? Who am I anyway? I have only been here about a week. I know nothing.
Well said, twoasone. The C&P posts are not read by me either. If I wanted to read news stories, then I'd visit the News section; or, if I wanted to read some political banter, I'd visit one of a zillion websites devoted to that. When I log on to this forum, I just want to read what's goin on in my local community....

As for NORMAL......depends on who's defining "normal". The sad thing is, for alot of people, it refers to other people that look, act, talk, dress, live, worship, think(you get the picture)...like them. Personally, I don't want to be considered normal
quote:
Originally posted by alacharger:
quote:
Originally posted by Ubermensch:
I think the question here is do any real people with original ideas and opinions post here or is this just a wasteland for political hate speech?


You are correct. I find it refreshing when someone posts their own thoughts and feelings, rather than cut and paste someone elses statements.

Yes, there are a lot of people who give honest consideration to topics on forums. But there are people who only want to stir up discord and create confusion on forums. They hide behind the anonymity of this type of forum, knowing that their true identity is secure. They surf various forums until they find one that they can "bait" with topics obviously intended to incite inflamed answers. I don't say they don't have a right to do so, just that they are a part of what other forum users have to endure. Forum owners do have a right to censure what is posted, and some do so more than others. Very few forum moderators will tolerate personal attacks, bad language or exposing the true identity of a poster.


Well said!
quote:
Originally posted by stupid people suck:
I tried to be normal but I ended up with 2 cats and 3 kids.In the next life I will try harder to only get 2.5 kids and a dog. Confused


Metooism is a disease caught by those who want to fit in with the crowd. Not having that disease does not make you abnormal, just a lot more fun.
I would like to think I am close to normal. Smiler

I have a husband, and a 2 year old son. I am also a stay at home mom, that works as a volunteer Admin and Graphics artist for a family friendly pg/g-rated discussion/chat website.

I don't partake in many debates, for the reason that I hate debating. Two things that I really don't like debating on is Religion and Politics... And those two topics are brought up here a lot. So, Mainly I just read and learn from others.

I guess, I am though 1.5 kids away from being normal, and it's gonna stay that way for awhile. ONE is enough for me right now.. ROFLMAO!

We do have a dog and a cat though. Wink

This should be an interesting post. Big Grin

(by the way, the smilies here, are kinda strange.. lol)


~Manda~
Normal isn't exactly the normal it was 15 years ago, lol... and I guess this post can turn out to be a really good FUN post if we want it to... because another thing I have learned about the people here is that there is a lot of humor on here, lot of laughs... even 'dry' humor that cracks me up... (yeah, you know who you are)..


ROFLMAO... Mom, thanks *shakes head* There is nothing wrong with my dry humor Razzer Razzer Razzer

By the way, Woman, ya need to show me how to quote Razzer

*That's to K.S. to everyone else* xD

~Manda~
" Forum owners do have a right to censure what is posted, and some do so more than others. Very few forum moderators will tolerate personal attacks, bad language or exposing the true identity of a poster."....
---------------------

Alacharger, that is so very right.. On our site, we do not allow people to personally attack anyone. Our site is pg/g-rated and family friendly, so the worse cussing you would see is hell or maybe d*mn... Our members aren't even allowed to use symbols in the place of those words because we do have kids or young members on there that do not need to see worse than that. Smiler

We usually though, ban someone for before exposing them, although the admin team on our site has a log of email addies to watch for when there are new members. Smiler

And we've been up and running for more than 8 years now on doing this. Most sites I frequent although the rules may be different, the moderator ediquette is almost always the same. Big Grin

I haven't been around here long enough yet to see if TD's admins are like that or not, but then again this forum is still very young in comparison and might not have found their niche yet. Big Grin

~Manda~
quote:
Originally posted by EdEKit:
quote:
Originally posted by stupid people suck:
I tried to be normal but I ended up with 2 cats and 3 kids.In the next life I will try harder to only get 2.5 kids and a dog. Confused


Metooism is a disease caught by those who want to fit in with the crowd. Not having that disease does not make you abnormal, just a lot more fun.


Don't worry about it you have to play the hand you are delt.
quote:
Originally posted by jimbo35660:
These people that post on here daily CANNOT be normal, NO WAY!!! It would be impossible for them to work a 40 hour week. And to take care of kids, nope, aint going to happen.


jimbo, I think you and I are thinking on the same wave length. I can occasionally get on here and post and read through, but there is no way I have as much time as some of the others on here....How do you work 40 hours or more and post almost every hour or every couple of hours?
Glad to see this post draw so much discussion and I appreciate your responses to my question.

I can honestly say that "normal" is what each person perceives it to be. "Average" is probably more what I was trying to say as some have suggested. Those that say they don't want to be normal, just remember that doesn't mean you have to be extreme.

I do think some take this forum way too seriously and way too personally. There is a reason in debate they have a time limit and a mediator. I think it would be good for a forum to have a limit on users for number of posts per day and words per post (of course this can't happen with the uncontrolled setup of multiple accounts.) This doesn't go against free speech any more than you asking someone to shut up for a minute while you get a word in.
It sure would challenge people to choose their words wisely and keep some from overrunning the forum with gibberish.

As for me the occasional post to express my opinion on something is about all I have time for. I do find posts about local issues of interest and it could be a good communication tool on things that don't make the paper or the news.

So no one has 2.5 kids? (that would be 2 and one on the way I reckon)
well i suppose none of you more "normal" folks do not have to sit in front of a computer for hours on end with their jobs. How do you know if maybe some of the folks you have judged as not being "normal" actually make their living on BY THE USE of a computer? There is such a thing as breaks,or have all you "normal" folks decided breaks that fall into the "normal" range consists of heading to a breakroom, grabing a coke and catching up on all the latest gossip?
I love to watch judgemental folks. They simply amaze me.
quote:
Originally posted by lookn2it:
quote:
Originally posted by jimbo35660:
These people that post on here daily CANNOT be normal, NO WAY!!! It would be impossible for them to work a 40 hour week. And to take care of kids, nope, aint going to happen.


jimbo, I think you and I are thinking on the same wave length. I can occasionally get on here and post and read through, but there is no way I have as much time as some of the others on here....How do you work 40 hours or more and post almost every hour or every couple of hours?


I am on here a lot, and I work at least 45 hours a week, most of the time it is closer to 50 though....

BUTTTTTTTT!!!!!! MY KIDS ARE GROWN!!! haha hehe
quote:
Originally posted by smurph:
well i suppose none of you more "normal" folks do not have to sit in front of a computer for hours on end with their jobs. How do you know if maybe some of the folks you have judged as not being "normal" actually make their living on BY THE USE of a computer? There is such a thing as breaks,or have all you "normal" folks decided breaks that fall into the "normal" range consists of heading to a breakroom, grabing a coke and catching up on all the latest gossip?
I love to watch judgemental folks. They simply amaze me.


VERY well said, smurph!!

Add Reply

Likes (0)

×
×
×
×