Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Jennifer, I am 74 years old, have been a Christian for 24 years, have eaten in many restaurants across America and in a few other countries -- and, I have NEVER seen anyone do that in a restaurant.

Have YOU really ever seen this-- or is this just more atheist posturing, huffing, and puffing? 

 

Never mind, I believe we know the  answer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Have I ever seen what? What in the world are you babbling about? 

___________________________________________________________________________

NOW look who is being obtuse.

 

Originally Posted by semiannualchick:

I’m actually surprised that you would sit quietly thru a prayer with friends before a meal. If my family or friends pray while I’m in attendance, I quietly walk away before the prayer because I feel I would be a hypocrite to sit thru something that makes me uncomfortable & because I don’t believe prayers are answered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Originally Posted by Bestworking:

It's respect for them, they don't ask us to bow our heads with them and pray with them and they don't do it out loud. If they ask us to join in and we did, that would be hypocritical.

________________________

Oh, ok. My bad.

I thought you meant someone at the table praying out loud.

quote:  Originally Posted by semiannualchick:
I’m actually surprised that you would sit quietly thru a prayer with friends before a meal.  If my family or friends pray while I’m in attendance, I quietly walk away before the prayer because I feel I would be a hypocrite to sit thru something that makes me uncomfortable & because I don’t believe prayers are answered.

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi Chick,

Just curious.  Why does hearing someone pray make you uncomfortable? 

I know why it used to make me uncomfortable at times.  I was convicted by the Holy Spirit and did not want to face the fact that my lifestyle was not in accord with God. 

 So, I had to face a choice:  give up my party-hearty lifestyle -- or give up church. 

 

At that time, because I was not really a Christian, I gave up church.  Why?  Because I was convicted.  Their preaching and praying made me uncomfortable.  In other words, I was convicted -- and that made me uncomfortable.  So, I did the reasonable thing, in my mind, and ran from God and His church.

Are you doing the same?

Bill

_______________________________

Am I doing the same? It's not really any of your business but unlike you when it comes to answering questions, I will answer yours. I'm running from nothing. Searching things out, yes, but far from running.

 

I feel uncomfortable with it because I don't believe prayer works. It's been proven to me time & again that it doesn't work. For me to sit & take part in something that I don't believe in, in my eyes, is wrong.

Just as you claim to be a Christian, but w/o love & compassion, I believe, is wrong.

 

BTW, I don't have a "party-hearty" lifestyle. Don't know where you got that idea. Just another lie you made up like you often do about a lot of people on here.

 

 

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi Jennifer,
Has that done any real physical or psychological harm to you?  You ask about praying in a restaurant.  Why should this be offensive to you -- seeing people at another table bowing and quietly offering a prayer of thanks to God?

Bill

___________________________

Bill, did you read Jenn’s post? I saw nothing where she said she was offended at seeing people at another table praying. She even said “We have friends that pray before eating. We sit there until they're finished”.

 

And, yes, you do psychological harm here every time you post.

 

Originally Posted by BFred07:
Originally Posted by JimiHendrix:
Do you nitwits seriously believe that God takes sides ih high school sporting events?

Judging from the records at Shoals Christian, Mars Hill, and Covenent Christian I would think not
I don't think that anyone implied that he does and I have never heard a prayer at a game that asks God to favor one side over the other.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________

(BREAK)

I guess last years state championship in baseball for Mars Hill.  Back to back (2010-2011) State Championships in baseball and currently tied for first place in the area in football for Shoals constitutes bad records, huh?

 

(RESUME)

Originally Posted by A. Robustus:

NB,

It's not about personal offense. It's about a violation of the laws of our country. And the outrage you describe belongs instead to the privileged religious majority in these communities. Apparently you and they believe is that it's ok to break the law and violate the our Constitution because it disagrees with your theocratic whims. The schools were not forced or bullied. The schools simply received one letter informing them that they were breaking the law and the schools agreed. It's ridiculous to suggest with any seriousness that informing a school that they are breaking the law is an attempt to "eliminate religion and any religious expression" LOL. Somehow, you and yours are oppressed for not being able to force a captive audience at a government function to endure a specific religious prayer through the PA even though it's completely against the law and Constitutional protections.

Laws of our country?  Let's see now.  I have a yearbook from 1939, Chattanooga High School's annual where one page is devoted to the "Bible Club", on that page, about the Bible Club, it says

 

"Members of this club meet twice a month to enjoy Christian fellowship and lively times.  The club is composed of students who have had at least one semester in Bible Study."

It shows a photo of 22 students in a public classroom meeting together.  What I find difficult to understand is all these years since the Constitution was written and yet Bible studies and the Bible was allowed in public schools.  Bible Classes were actually an elective and taught.  Creation was taught in most schools.  Many public schools opened their session with prayers being broadcast through the school and the pledge of allegiance being read.  Congress, at the time of the constitution, actually providing money in order that Bibles could be published, even though they never were, it wasn't because of the First Amendment or conflict with the Government.    All these years, up to the 1960's, Politicians, Congress, all kinds of Judges never found that the First Amendment was being violated but all of a sudden, here in the last 40 years NO mention of God or Religion in School is allowed or anywhere that Government money goes.

 

How is it that all these judges and all these years never understood or knew the Constitution including many that had something to do with drafting it?   

 

What's changed is that now, today, we have Judges that legislate from the bench.  There have been enough secular Judges found and put in place that are willing to change the original intent.  If that isn't the case then what happened all those years right after the Constitution was put in effect up to the 1950's that Religion and all this mention of God was not found against the law?  How is it that we have "In GOD We Trust" on our money if it was against the First Amendment and the Law.

 

Many claim that Christians want to change things and change America to make it a theocracy but it is the atheist that have changed the country, not the Christians.  The country had to change to suit them.  We don't want a theocracy we just would like to have our fundmental rights back where mentioning God is not against the law, where if students want to electively have Bible Study or say a prayer they can without the School being in fear some ALCU or atheist will file some lawsuit.  There has been a fundamental change in the country alright but it's not the Christians who caused it.  We have had to endure it. 

Oh I don't know gb, ever think people are getting tired of you being able to break the law and are speaking up? Where is it against the law for you to mention your god? You do it every day-all day in long rambling posts and cut and paste bible quotes. Who has stopped you? As I posted, don't like it? Fine then. Churches can start paying taxes, and ALL religions can come into schools and set up clubs and have their prayers heard and their beliefs taught. Would you object to that? And the "In God We Trust" has been challenged. You don't want a theocracy? You could have fooled me. All you do is whine and talk about "bringing god" back into every area of the country, not to mention how you whine because atheists dare to speak up and dare to post on this forum.  What would you call that?

 

Congress, at the time of the constitution, actually providing money in order that Bibles could be published, even though they never were, it wasn't because of the First Amendment or conflict with the Government.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

This is another untruth that you keep repeating. Congress absolutely DID NOT provide money for bibles to be published and absolutely DID NOT buy bibles.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Oh I don't know gb, ever think people are getting tired of you being able to break the law and are speaking up? Where is it against the law for you to mention your god? You do it every day-all day in long rambling posts and cut and paste bible quotes. Who has stopped you? As I posted, don't like it? Fine then. Churches can start paying taxes, and ALL religions can come into schools and set up clubs and have their prayers heard and their beliefs taught. Would you object to that? And the "In God We Trust" has been challenged. You don't want a theocracy? You could have fooled me. All you do is whine and talk about "bringing god" back into every area of the country, not to mention how you whine because atheists dare to speak up and dare to post on this forum.  What would you call that?

___________________________________________________________________________

 

OK, if you think taxing churches would mean they could pray in school and have their beliefs taught, then YOU have to decide which you would like less. You DON'T want churches to remain tax exempt, but you also don't want Christianity taught at schools.

 

Which would you choose?

 

 

You God bashers don't seem to understand separation of church and state. Separation of church and state was meant for government to stay out of the churches affairs. It was not intended to keep God out of government.

I don't agree with holding prayers at sporting events mainly because I wouldn't want a Muslim saying his/her prayer (or any other so called religion) where I had to listen to it. Of course, no one really has to listen to it. You can always plug your ears and hum to yourself when they pray.

Let's see now.  I have a yearbook from 1939, Chattanooga High School's annual where one page is devoted to the "Bible Club",

______________

Let's put this in perspective.  In 1939, "coloreds" drank at separate water fountains, attended separate schools, had separate entrances to movie theaters, and were often barred from voting through the use of poll taxes.  Was this right?  And yet the SCOTUS and popular opinion supported this until the late 1950s.


I also wonder how much federal money was being supplied to schools in 1939.  I'm guessing none to very little.

Originally Posted by I am the Fireman:

You God bashers don't seem to understand separation of church and state. Separation of church and state was meant for government to stay out of the churches affairs. It was not intended to keep God out of government.

I don't agree with holding prayers at sporting events mainly because I wouldn't want a Muslim saying his/her prayer (or any other so called religion) where I had to listen to it. Of course, no one really has to listen to it. You can always plug your ears and hum to yourself when they pray.

****

Yaw-w-w-w-w-n-n-n

 

Yet another unvarnished opinion submitted without any documentation or analysis, adding nothing useful to the discussion. A "Mickey Mouse" post--entirely complementary with your icon.

Originally Posted by I am the Fireman:

You God bashers don't seem to understand separation of church and state. Separation of church and state was meant for government to stay out of the churches affairs. It was not intended to keep God out of government.

I don't agree with holding prayers at sporting events mainly because I wouldn't want a Muslim saying his/her prayer (or any other so called religion) where I had to listen to it. Of course, no one really has to listen to it. You can always plug your ears and hum to yourself when they pray.

___________________________

God bashers?? Don't agree with holding prayer at sporting events?

Be careful, your Christianity is showing.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×