So what I'm reading from some is that it's OK for an atheist to assert their right to not have an official prayer at taxpayer funded events but that it's not OK for Christians to assert their right to speak out loud when praying. What I am hearing is a few people telling me that Christians need to go to the corner and be quite but that is simply not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Pains me? So what if christianity is important to you, it still doesn't explain the obsession and wanting it in every area of peoples lives, business and politics.  If people want atheists to keep quiet about atheism then they should keep quiet about their christianity.


I do not want you to keep quiet about Atheism.  I agree that if someone wants you to be quiet, the fair thing would be for them to also remain quiet.

 

I was kidding about the pains you thing.  You'd think I'd know by now who I can kid around with and who I cannot.  I mean that you keep arguing a point we've already agreed on.

 

Please explain how Christians want it (and what is 'it'?) in every area of peoples' lives, business and politics.  If you mean simply being who we are, voicing our opinions, using legal means to defend what we feel is right for America, voting for whoever we feel is the best candidate for office, promoting said candidate, etc., there's no way to change that, and to do so seems criminal.

Originally Posted by BFred07:

So what I'm reading from some is that it's OK for an atheist to assert their right to not have an official prayer at taxpayer funded events but that it's not OK for Christians to assert their right to speak out loud when praying. What I am hearing is a few people telling me that Christians need to go to the corner and be quite but that is simply not going to happen.


I didn't see that anywhere here.  Who said that?  What you are hearing and what others are saying isn't the same thing.

 

The problem is that saying prayers over the loudspeaker is cool for one group, but the rest of the group there might not want to hear them.  So all people are saying is you say your prayers if you like and anyone else can do whatever she likes...but not over the loudspeaker and not in a disruptive way that infringes on others' rights.  No one said you couldn't pray.  

Originally Posted by frog:
Originally Posted by _Joy_:

Best, some Atheists are guilty of the same.  It doesn't matter your system of belief or non-belief, your intent and motivation in a discussion will determine the result...and even then, it is dependent on others involved in the discussion sharing the same intent and motivation.  Is your intent mutual understanding or condemnation; and what is the intent of those with whom you converse?  Do you set yourself above or see the person with whom you are speaking as an equal?  I rarely run across someone who is fair and open-minded anymore.  I hope that I am, but sometimes I fail at that, too.


You are right in this.  It isn't what "sides" people are on that determines the progress or outcome of a  discussion or negotiation.  I would say that if negotiators went into discussions backed by governments who sent them to be seriously bent on being fair and working for compromise and the interests of all concerned, we wouldn't have many wars, and the same goes for the Religion Forum.


I could not agree more, frog.

I was kidding about the pains you thing.  You'd think I'd know by now who I can kid around with and who I cannot.  I mean that you keep arguing a point we've already agreed on.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I keep arguing the point we've agreed on? Maybe you should go back through the posts. Seems it's you that can't let it go. Or was I supposed to say, "oh you're so right, atheists should leave the forum"? I can kid around IF the "joke" makes sense. If it pains you was the joke? hmmmmmmmm How about this-nuff said.

Chill out, Best.  We agree that we are comfortable with Atheists and Christians voicing their beliefs in a public forum, just not on our front porch. 

 

One more time now...I'm not trying to silence anyone, have no reason to do that.  That's another thing we agree on...as I said, if someone wants you to be silent, the fair thing is to remain silent yourself.  I  have no reason to want Atheists to leave this forum either - have no idea why you would think that.

America is sliding down a slippery slope from which it may not recover, all because of liberalism, anti-Christian court rulings and minority (pick one)-held beliefs becoming the norm, rather than the rule. Collectively, America has asked....no, BEGGED....for it for the past 40 years. She may very well choke on it.

Originally Posted by frog:
Originally Posted by BFred07:

So what I'm reading from some is that it's OK for an atheist to assert their right to not have an official prayer at taxpayer funded events but that it's not OK for Christians to assert their right to speak out loud when praying. What I am hearing is a few people telling me that Christians need to go to the corner and be quite but that is simply not going to happen.


I didn't see that anywhere here.  Who said that?  What you are hearing and what others are saying isn't the same thing.

 

The problem is that saying prayers over the loudspeaker is cool for one group, but the rest of the group there might not want to hear them.  So all people are saying is you say your prayers if you like and anyone else can do whatever she likes...but not over the loudspeaker and not in a disruptive way that infringes on others' rights.  No one said you couldn't pray.  

People have said that we can pray silently to ourselves which is the same thing, if a group wants to say a prayer out loud then that is still their right. The law might very well be that the PA belonging to the school cannot be used however that does not stop Christians in the crowd from praying or having a prayer led, it can still be out loud and the 1st amendment protects our right to do so. 

The only thing that I saw in this story is that we might have to stop using the public PA, nothing else changes.

Originally Posted by dogsoldier0513:

America is sliding down a slippery slope from which it may not recover, all because of liberalism, anti-Christian court rulings and minority (pick one)-held beliefs becoming the norm, rather than the rule. Collectively, America has asked....no, BEGGED....for it for the past 40 years. She may very well choke on it.


After all, this is your America and not anyone else's unless they agree with you completely.  So I guess it is only fair that you should get to decide personally what everyone else in your whole country gets to do.

 

But if you could just get rid of all those pesky "others" you would get your country back.  So if we get rid everyone but white Christian males America will be safe?  Hmm...when you reread your post do you see the racism an bigotry in it, or do you honestly believe what you posted and think it is Christian?  

Dog, go into your thoughts on that a bit deeper. Tell us who is to "blame" for all those laws and rulings. Who has had control of this country for all these years dog?  Do atheists control the country? Do the illegals control the county? Yet? Now who allowed/brought in all the illegals dog? Who's crying over the attempt to deport the illegals and who's giving them sanctuary and fighting the government to keep them here and support them? Is it anti-christians or the churches? Tell us in your own words who brought us to where we are. There is plenty of blame to go around. Giving people basic human rights is never bad no matter who "gives" them to people, but on the flip side, giving the country over to foreign interests and illegals isn't good for the country. So seriously, tell us how we got to where we are and how allowing the church to run the government would help us.

Funny, this.

 

I read Shoalanda's article on Mr. Green and seems all she could do is pick on his education and employment.  As if Mr. Green doesn't have any rights just because she doesn't think his job or level of education makes the cut.  This is freakin' hilarious.

That seems to be the standard around here, eh?  Ain't got a valid argument? Tell 'em you're more educated than they are.

  Oh-Then go on to explain about how you believe in supernatural beings......

That oughtta do it.  Way to prove you're not a moron. 

 

 

I'm with Jeremy on this issue.  If I'm sitting at a public event sanctioned by a city or school-I don't wanna be forced to participate (which is exactly what you're doing if you broadcast to an audience) in a religious ritual.  If I have to sit through it-I'm included in it whether I wanna be or not.

 

I don't go into a church and interrupt your praying with my cussing-I expect you not to interrupt my cussing with your praying outside the church.

  Do like they do in Arab. Take your offered moment of reflection and pray then. Pray out loud, I don't care....Just don't force me to be a part of it because you feel you need an amplifier to shout it to the mountaintops.  If I hadda buy a ticket-I wanna see a game, not go to church.

 

Not everybody on those mountaintops believes like you...and they get just as bent outta shape as you do when you try to force-feed your belief to them.

 

Christians have gotten a free pass for a long time when it comes to stuff like this. They're not surrounded by just other christians anymore. It's about time, I think, that they began to realize that.  Welcome to the 00s.  People have evolved past ghosties and fairies by now.

 

Well.........Some of us have.

 

 

 

From RP ...

I read Shoalanda's article on Mr. Green and seems all she could do is pick on his education and employment.  As if Mr. Green doesn't have any rights just because she doesn't think his job or level of education makes the cut.  This is freakin' hilarious.

That seems to be the standard around here, eh?  Ain't got a valid argument? Tell 'em you're more educated than they are.

 

 

RP, I read the same article (really not sure you read it, but maybe scanned it?) and I thought the point was simply he wasn't really employed. And I've heard he lies about the MBA too. Don't know or don't really care, but if he lies about one thing which he did on his employer being Google of all companies, wouldn't he lie about something else.? Maybe not since maybe he wanted to impress girls or something. I have a neighbor with an MBA and she works two jobs. I barely have a BS and have a great job, for me, but it sure doesn't impress people as far as job title.. I see this guy as someone who wants to impress, maybe because of his past problems?

Originally Posted by Infomercial:

From RP ...

I read Shoalanda's article on Mr. Green and seems all she could do is pick on his education and employment.  As if Mr. Green doesn't have any rights just because she doesn't think his job or level of education makes the cut.  This is freakin' hilarious.

That seems to be the standard around here, eh?  Ain't got a valid argument? Tell 'em you're more educated than they are.

 

 

RP, I read the same article (really not sure you read it, but maybe scanned it?) and I thought the point was simply he wasn't really employed. And I've heard he lies about the MBA too. Don't know or don't really care, but if he lies about one thing which he did on his employer being Google of all companies, wouldn't he lie about something else.? Maybe not since maybe he wanted to impress girls or something. I have a neighbor with an MBA and she works two jobs. I barely have a BS and have a great job, for me, but it sure doesn't impress people as far as job title.. I see this guy as someone who wants to impress, maybe because of his past problems?

___________________________________

 

Mr. Green does work as a Search Engine Evaluator for Google. It is a legitimate job and I wish I had it.

 

It is amazing to me that Shoalanda and others have decided to attack Mr. Green personally and drag up things that have absolutely nothing to do with the school prayer issue. I see this as a way to try and draw attention away from the fact that the school system is breaking the law.

 

Seems that you and Shoalanda don't care much for the truth. You would rather just believe a lie, right? I did not know you had to have a spotless history to be able to point out illegal activity in our government. He has every right as an American citizen to file a complaint.

 

Those that are using this as their argument against the law must know they don't have a leg to stand on legally..

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

What did he lie about concerning the prayer before the ballgame? And who is shoalander? Is she/he employed?

_____________________________

 

Here ya go Best..

 

http://shoalandaspeaks.blogspo...-right-or-wrong.html

 

Shoalanda speaks is basically a local gossip rag. Some people in the community enjoy reading the "Enquirer" like blogs that are found there. Its not news by any stretch of the imagination. Just some busy body that likes to gossip and has made a (small) name for themselves by trying to ruin peoples lives and name in the area.

 

I knew she or he-figured it was she, had a little blog, but I guess I meant who the heck are they anyway and do they have a real job. I saw the comment she made on the story page. That's why I ask if she was going to "investigate" all the other people involved too.

Originally Posted by DarkAngel:
Originally Posted by Infomercial:

From RP ...

I read Shoalanda's article on Mr. Green and seems all she could do is pick on his education and employment.  As if Mr. Green doesn't have any rights just because she doesn't think his job or level of education makes the cut.  This is freakin' hilarious.

That seems to be the standard around here, eh?  Ain't got a valid argument? Tell 'em you're more educated than they are.

 

 

RP, I read the same article (really not sure you read it, but maybe scanned it?) and I thought the point was simply he wasn't really employed. And I've heard he lies about the MBA too. Don't know or don't really care, but if he lies about one thing which he did on his employer being Google of all companies, wouldn't he lie about something else.? Maybe not since maybe he wanted to impress girls or something. I have a neighbor with an MBA and she works two jobs. I barely have a BS and have a great job, for me, but it sure doesn't impress people as far as job title.. I see this guy as someone who wants to impress, maybe because of his past problems?

___________________________________

 

Mr. Green does work as a Search Engine Evaluator for Google. It is a legitimate job and I wish I had it.

 

It is amazing to me that Shoalanda and others have decided to attack Mr. Green personally and drag up things that have absolutely nothing to do with the school prayer issue. I see this as a way to try and draw attention away from the fact that the school system is breaking the law.

 

Seems that you and Shoalanda don't care much for the truth. You would rather just believe a lie, right? I did not know you had to have a spotless history to be able to point out illegal activity in our government. He has every right as an American citizen to file a complaint.

 

Those that are using this as their argument against the law must know they don't have a leg to stand on legally..

 

 

Dark, I'm disappointed in you. Learn to Google. I did. I don't take anything Shoalanda or anyone else says for truth until I do that or other research. She/He is right. Google DOES NOT HIRE SEARCH ENGINE EVALUATORS. At least one or two companies do hire these work at home people. I'll see if I can find it. So what else has Green lied about. Makes ya wonder.

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,034
Send a message via AIM to mlmblonde Send a message via MSN to mlmblonde Send a message via Yahoo to mlmblonde
DefaultWhat is a Google Rater?

I was passing thru and the word GOOGLE caught my eye .   Of course I've heard of Google, but what is a Google Rater? 
Can anyone share in a few brief words what that is? Are you working for Google?
Thanks
Diane

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 157
 
DefaultTo Answer Your Question

There are a few names for this position. The companies hiring for this are Lionbridge, Leapforce and Butler Hill. I am not sure if Workforce Logic still hires for this or not. Lionbridge titles this position as an internet assessor and Leapforce titles it as Search Engine Evaluator. You do not apply with Google. These companies contract with Google and hire independent contractors. I work for Lionbridge. I enjoy the pay, but the task availability is not always steady and the work can get boring sometimes. Basically what it entails is assessing the utility of search engine results. In order to get started, you must apply and if they have openings in your area and you qualify, they will invite you to take a test. The test is long and you must study carefully. The pay is great(I cannot disclose due to confidentiality agreement), but it is hourly. It is a great way to earn a part-time income.

Let me add, other than searching and reading I have no idea what the job means but it does seem to be a real job, and seems if there is a problem such as a scam or such it is with the company some used to get the job and not google. There are plenty of unre pu table "employment" companies out there.

I was wondering too info, since it does appear the job is very real, and it turns out he does indeed do what he said he does, will shoalander print a retraction and  apology to mr. green? Plus I wonder too if maybe it could turn out he has a legal action against her? (Did we establish it was a she)?

Originally Posted by Road Puppy:

 

Christians have gotten a free pass for a long time when it comes to stuff like this. They're not surrounded by just other christians anymore. It's about time, I think, that they began to realize that.  Welcome to the 00s.  People have evolved past ghosties and fairies by now.

 

Well.........Some of us have.

 

 

 

Free pass from who RP?

Fred, Fred, Freddymac, FredFredFred... you said: Sounds almost like a baited question but what the heck, I'll bite. The reason that the others are distinct from Christianity is because there is only one God and his son is Jesus so that means Christians are right and all the others are just full of crap. Excuse me for being blunt but I prefer to keep it short and simple when I can.

 

Thanks for buttressing my point, but it really wasn't necessary.  The whole point is that there are competing views of religion, each of which has both reasons (after a fashion) and faith that it is the correct one to the exclusion of all the others.

 

There is no compelling reason why Christianity is the One True Belief, in a world of dozens of major and thousands of minor beliefs.  They're all equally (in)valid!

 

Saying that your religion is the only valid one, and that all others are bogus, is simply juvenile and simple-mindedly parochial.  My dog's better than your dog (because he's my dog).  Get it?

 

There is as much reason to believe in Thor as Jesus, except for fashion.

 

 

DF

Originally Posted by lexum:

Mr green seems to have a made-up job.

He will lose in the end. I doubt if he has the dough to stay around here very long and cause trouble.

 

 

I didn't mean to imply Green had a "made up job". He just doesn't work for Google. He works for a company that hires at home workers and they sell the data to Google. Big difference. So don't say you work for Google if you don't. It doesn't make you look any smarter or more honest.

 

I hear he lives with his parents, so he's not going anywhere. Failure to launch.

And all that means what info? Nothing. Case of not liking the message so they attack (kill) the messenger. And again, what would we find if we "investigated" people on the other side of the conflict? Are they all fully employed, out on their own, upstanding people? I doubt it.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

And all that means what info? Nothing. Case of not liking the message so they attack (kill) the messenger. And again, what would we find if we "investigated" people on the other side of the conflict? Are they all fully employed, out on their own, upstanding people? I doubt it.


This is my thought too.  Really, does it matter what he does for a living or what his degree is?  this is a public issue and not he-said-she said.  You can snicker at his job or laugh at where he lives all you want, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has a legitimate complaint...he isn't the only one who feels that way and it is the law.  

 

Originally Posted by Not Shallow Not Slim:

Fred, Fred, Freddymac, FredFredFred... you said: Sounds almost like a baited question but what the heck, I'll bite. The reason that the others are distinct from Christianity is because there is only one God and his son is Jesus so that means Christians are right and all the others are just full of crap. Excuse me for being blunt but I prefer to keep it short and simple when I can.

 

Thanks for buttressing my point, but it really wasn't necessary.  The whole point is that there are competing views of religion, each of which has both reasons (after a fashion) and faith that it is the correct one to the exclusion of all the others.

 

There is no compelling reason why Christianity is the One True Belief, in a world of dozens of major and thousands of minor beliefs.  They're all equally (in)valid!

 

Saying that your religion is the only valid one, and that all others are bogus, is simply juvenile and simple-mindedly parochial.  My dog's better than your dog (because he's my dog).  Get it?

 

There is as much reason to believe in Thor as Jesus, except for fashion.

 

 

DF

My dog's not better than your dog because he's my dog, my dog's better because he's freakin awesome!! Joking aside, my dog is pretty good but you may very well have a better one.

For the God part, my God is not better because he's my God, he's better because he's the ONLY God and he's freakin awesome!!!

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

And fred, if there is another group or groups that want to "pray" their way, or chant, sing or whatever out loud that will be fine with you 

Yes, now you're finally getting it. As I had already said, I don't mind giving up the PA if it means they have to stay away from it too. As far as praying out loud in the stands, I hope that local Christians will do so and if the others want to do their version of praying during the moment of silence/reflection then that is fine too. If it gets too offensive then I would either tune them out or leave the area.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

And all that means what info? Nothing. Case of not liking the message so they attack (kill) the messenger. And again, what would we find if we "investigated" people on the other side of the conflict? Are they all fully employed, out on their own, upstanding people? I doubt it.

 

 

best, I like you, but please don't twist my words. I mentioned he lived at home in reply to Lexum. I don't think Green is going anywhere because he needs money. The employment is not important. He could be a ditch digger. Just don't lie to me and say you work on Wall St. I'll think much more of you as an honest ditch digger than someone who lies to me about it.

What is this woman who is selling t-shirts for the Christians so called "cause" doing with the profits? Anyone know? If it is purely for profit I have no problem with that. Good for her! That shows some real business suave on her part.

 

I just wish I had thought of it first.....I may still be able to get in on the action. I have a source for t-shirts that would give me a pretty good return even if I under price her by a $1! She is moving them like hot cakes.

 

Anyone want to go into business with me on this venture?

 

 

Originally Posted by DarkAngel:
Originally Posted by Bestworking:

What did he lie about concerning the prayer before the ballgame? And who is shoalander? Is she/he employed?

_____________________________

 

Here ya go Best..

 

http://shoalandaspeaks.blogspo...-right-or-wrong.html

 

Shoalanda speaks is basically a local gossip rag. Some people in the community enjoy reading the "Enquirer" like blogs that are found there. Its not news by any stretch of the imagination. Just some busy body that likes to gossip and has made a (small) name for themselves by trying to ruin peoples lives and name in the area.

 

___________

She's worse than the Enquirer.  She is a mess of half-truths, innuendo, and misdirection. ©

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

I was wondering too info, since it does appear the job is very real, and it turns out he does indeed do what he said he does, will shoalander print a retraction and  apology to mr. green? Plus I wonder too if maybe it could turn out he has a legal action against her? (Did we establish it was a she)?

_________

No she doesn't have to.  What she says is just snarky, not untrue.  ©

Originally Posted by _Joy_:

Is it illegal, NSNS?  If so, what law forbids praying at school functions?  Anyone who knows the answer to that, please give us a link?

===

The US Supreme Court has so far made eight separate rulings from 1952 to 2004 affirming that school-sponsored prayers (a religious activity) in public schools is a violation of the Establishment Clause and constitutionally impermissible. 60 years of Supreme Court precedents on school prayer basically asserts and re-asserts that religion can only have a sharply limited role in our public schools.

Look up: Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, 2000
(in a 6-3 decision) The Court held that the policy allowing the student-led prayer at the football games was unconstitutional. The majority opinion held that the pre-game prayers delivered "on school property, at school-sponsored events, over the school's public address system, by a speaker representing the student body, under the supervision of school faculty, and pursuant to a school policy that explicitly and implicitly encourages public prayer" are not private, but public speech. "Regardless of the listener's support for, or objection to, the message, an objective Santa Fe High School student will unquestionably perceive the inevitable pregame prayer as stamped with her school's seal of approval." - Justice Stevens (a Christian, nominated by Gerald Ford)

Look up: Lee v. Weisman, 1992
"As we have observed before, there are heightened concerns with protecting freedom of conscience from subtle coercive pressure in the elementary and secondary public schools. Our decisions in [Engel] and [Abington] recognize, among other things, that prayer exercises in public schools carry a particular risk of indirect coercion. The concern may not be limited to the context of schools, but it is most pronounced there. What to most believers may seem nothing more than a reasonable request that the nonbeliever respect their religious practices, in a school context may appear to the nonbeliever or dissenter to be an attempt to employ the machinery of the State to enforce a religious orthodoxy." - Justice Kennedy (a Christian, nominated by Ronald Reagan) writing for the majority

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×