Habitat for Humanity does a wonderful thing for those in need. My heart goes out to anyone who is living in substandard conditions, especially if they are really trying to help themselves.

I just have one observation about the story in the paper this morning. The most recent family to receive a home has four children and another on the way! They received a four bedroom home. Will they stop having children when they fill all the bedrooms? It takes boatloads of money to provide for your family in today's world. I realize it is an individual's right to have as many children as you want, but do they not realize that the more children they have, the more impoverished they will be?

I really don't mean to be cruel, but it just makes sense to me that if you can't afford to take care of your family, you should stop having kids.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by overtherainbow:
Habitat for Humanity does a wonderful thing for those in need. My heart goes out to anyone who is living in substandard conditions, especially if they are really trying to help themselves.

I just have one observation about the story in the paper this morning. The most recent family to receive a home has four children and another on the way! They received a four bedroom home. Will they stop having children when they fill all the bedrooms? It takes boatloads of money to provide for your family in today's world. I realize it is an individual's right to have as many children as you want, but do they not realize that the more children they have, the more impoverished they will be?

I really don't mean to be cruel, but it just makes sense to me that if you can't afford to take care of your family, you should stop having kids.



Exactly...if they would get of their backs and get a job they could support themselves.
From looking at the photo...if they would back away from the table wouldn't hurt much either.
Glad I wasn't the only one that wondered why 4 adult people living together couldn't put a decent roof over their heads. It does look as though they are eating well and the hair is getting done. Might be a matter of priorities or laziness.
Please read the article more carefully. The Thompson's are the family in the picture. They no longer receive public assistance and make payments on their house. They did get a boost to help them get "there", but they took full responsibility in staying "there". Their weight is probably a result of the day and age of fast, cheap food that we live in, and a lack of exercise because of technology, as is the problem for most overweight people. Good, nutritious food is more expensive and video games and TV keep us on the couch!
quote:
Originally posted by overtherainbow:
Please read the article more carefully. The Thompson's are the family in the picture. They no longer receive public assistance and make payments on their house. They did get a boost to help them get "there", but they took full responsibility in staying "there". Their weight is probably a result of the day and age of fast, cheap food that we live in, and a lack of exercise because of technology, as is the problem for most overweight people. Good, nutritious food is more expensive and video games and TV keep us on the couch!



Their weight is a direct result of THEIR decisions. It amazes me how people like you thinks no one should be held responsible. Its always someone elses fault.
WH, I'm not saying its not their fault. Again, read more carefully. Of course, eating fast food and sitting on the couch is your own choice and your own fault, but it IS a sign of our times. Nobody has a garden anymore to work in and we don't have to draw water from the wells and walk to school barefoot! Progress has not been good for our health!
Wow!! Laughing out loud!!@ WH What is the hang up on these peoples weight?? You don't like heavy-set folks or you got dissed by this young lady or what??
Well, I'll just point out the obvious to any of us that do the grocery shopping. It is expensive to eat healthy.

You can do it, but it takes research, time (which I know is hard for many) and creativity. I still wouldn't say it is inexpensive, but doable if you have the time.

Before I started looking for a cheaper way to eat healthy, I found that if it's cheaply made, it's usually not good for you or your family. Your system is trying to get full on junk that is not really filling. Keep doing that & weight issues are unavoidable.
quote:
Originally posted by Bossplayr1966:
Wow!! Laughing out loud!!@ WH What is the hang up on these peoples weight?? You don't like heavy-set folks or you got dissed by this young lady or what??


I take it you are fat, right? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by overtherainbow:
WH, I'm not saying its not their fault. Again, read more carefully. Of course, eating fast food and sitting on the couch is your own choice and your own fault, but it IS a sign of our times. Nobody has a garden anymore to work in and we don't have to draw water from the wells and walk to school barefoot! Progress has not been good for our health!


I read it exactly as stated. Peoples laziness is of their own choosing. And yes, I have a garden.
quote:
Originally posted by overtherainbow:
Habitat for Humanity does a wonderful thing for those in need. My heart goes out to anyone who is living in substandard conditions, especially if they are really trying to help themselves.

I just have one observation about the story in the paper this morning. The most recent family to receive a home has four children and another on the way! They received a four bedroom home. Will they stop having children when they fill all the bedrooms? It takes boatloads of money to provide for your family in today's world. I realize it is an individual's right to have as many children as you want, but do they not realize that the more children they have, the more impoverished they will be?

I really don't mean to be cruel, but it just makes sense to me that if you can't afford to take care of your family, you should stop having kids.


I totally have to agree. I understand about the Thompson family needing some assistance being a single parent home and apparently the father wasnt contributing. But, the Lawson family is apparently a 2 parent home with a 5th child on the way. Maybe after having 1 kid if things started getting tight get on some birth control and STOP HAVING CHILDREN!!!! This makes me so mad. My husband and I own our own home. Things are tight but we make it just fine with a little money left over to go out to eat, go on a vacation, etc but we by no means have enough money extra to have children yet so we havent had any!!! I can afford $15 a month for my birth control so that's what I do! I dont have children and then expect the government to assist me in raising them because my husband and I didn't think things thru and just expected that someone would help us. Ok, I'm going to get off my soap box. I'm sure the Lawson's are very nice people, but good grief, you might could afford a nice house or heck even a nicer trailer if you would stop having children.
quote:
Originally posted by WH:
quote:
Originally posted by Bossplayr1966:
Wow!! Laughing out loud!!@ WH What is the hang up on these peoples weight?? You don't like heavy-set folks or you got dissed by this young lady or what??


I take it you are fat, right? Wink
No not at all just curious as to why you are focusing on their weight. That's all.
This is a prime example of a good program being used by those who want to milk the system. It is getting harder and harder to make ends meet unless you are a single woman with lots of children and the ability to keep on breeding. At least this is from private funds, what galls be is the Section 8 program that is providing free rent to deadbeats and ruining property values for legitimate homeowners. This isn't mentioned because most of the landlords of these properties who scream long and loud about taxes don't seem to mind when the giveaways line their pockets.
quote:
Originally posted by Shugpie:
HFH has built 60 houses for folks, I would be interested to know how these were split among races.
I saw this posted somewhere, I will try to find it. As I remember it was 50% black, 20% Asian, 20% white, and ten % other.

Keep in mind that Hispanic is counted as white in these type numbers.
quote:
Oh and if you ignore all these babies and they get to the point that they are out of control, you can take them over to the mental health doctor and get them labeled ADHD and get them a check.

I have a child with ADHD and he doesn't get a CHECK,wish he did.His medicine bill this month was over $100.00,and we have BC/BS insurance.That not to mention the visit to the doc office every month.We don't get any assistance from the government.Some help with his medicine would be nice though.My son needs this medicine to function,like a diabetes patient needs insulin.Please don't label kids with true mental illness as "kids outta control" or parents who just don't care.I do care and I care enough that I do whatever it takes to make him a productive young man.
Walk a day in my shoes...
quote:
Originally posted by momma3xs:
quote:
Oh and if you ignore all these babies and they get to the point that they are out of control, you can take them over to the mental health doctor and get them labeled ADHD and get them a check.

I have a child with ADHD and he doesn't get a CHECK,wish he did.His medicine bill this month was over $100.00,and we have BC/BS insurance.That not to mention the visit to the doc office every month.We don't get any assistance from the government.Some help with his medicine would be nice though.My son needs this medicine to function,like a diabetes patient needs insulin.Please don't label kids with true mental illness as "kids outta control" or parents who just don't care.I do care and I care enough that I do whatever it takes to make him a productive young man.
Walk a day in my shoes...


Makes you wonder how we got by all this time without popping pills doesn't it? A little discipline used to work.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×