The first tax to hit Americans from the health care bill is the 10% tax on tanning bed usage. Is this a tax on white people only? I'm not a tanning bed user and would like some input from those that do use them. Are whites the only people that use tanning beds?

Run Sarah Run

Original Post
I don't use a tanning bed, but I did when I was in high school, and I always saw a black girl there that was a classmate of mine. Despite being African American, she had light skin and wanted a tan. I definitely would think a greater number of whites use the beds, though.

I went to the tanning bed for my mild psoriasis per my doc's recommendation (clears it right up!). I used sunscreen while in the bed. I think it is very unfair to tax tanning bed usage when it is used as light therapy for the treatment of a skin disease.
I do not use tanning beds, but my sister goes to a tanning salon every spring to get what she calls a “base tan”. My in-laws have a bed in their home.

From what I have read, this tax goes into effect on July 1st this year and is expected to bring in 2.7 billion in taxes over the next decade. There are an estimated 20,000 tanning salons across the US. Most are mom and pop salons.

What is crazy to me is that it shifted from a “Bo-tax” (botox tax) to this indoor tanning tax because Allegran, the makers of botox, lobbied that it was discriminating to women. Women are also the biggest users of indoor tanning. Also, if this tax is to reduce the cost of health care in the future and to make revenue then where do you draw the line on other health risks? Driving a car is a risk to your health. Eating junk food everyday is a risk to your health. Not exercising is a risk.
quote:
psoriasis

We just purchased a tanning bed, my husband says it eases his joint pain with his arthritis. Friends have told me it is helpful for psoriasis. I will use it sparingly.
I am not concerned for the tax on tanning beds or it being racist, we all should be upset that the democrats opted out of the health care bill, they will not buy their insurance form the government pool, but continue on the Cadillac plan they have now.
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellj:
The first tax to hit Americans from the health care bill is the 10% tax on tanning bed usage. Is this a tax on white people only? I'm not a tanning bed user and would like some input from those that do use them. Are whites the only people that use tanning beds?


Its a stupid tax. But the idea behind it is that people who use tanning bed are jeopardizing their health. There is a large instance of skin cancer among tanning bed users. It is just like smoking or obesity. If you smoke or are obese you will pay higher insurance rates because you are of higher risk.
They are not going to tax smokers or obesity because you already pay higher premimums. Tanners don't pay higher premiums but are riskier to insure...thus the tax. But its still stupid!
quote:
we all should be upset that the democrats opted out of the health care bill, they will not buy their insurance form the government pool, but continue on the Cadillac plan they have now.


So people that support welfare should only use food stamps and other government provided assistance?
I can't wait until those of you rich enough to own tanning beds are required to get a permit to have one, so they can start sending those too poor to have one to your house to use your bed. Everyone has the right not to be pasty white.!!
quote:
Originally posted by hayssco23:
quote:
we all should be upset that the democrats opted out of the health care bill, they will not buy their insurance form the government pool, but continue on the Cadillac plan they have now.


So people that support welfare should only use food stamps and other government provided assistance?


I'm confussed. The Republicans opted out, them Democrats passed the bill. Cadillac plans typically constist of plans with preventative care. Preventative care is guaranteed in all plans with the passage of the bill. Therefore, cadillac plans should really become a thing of the past. Not to mention the fact that this bill doesn't force anyone to buy from a government pool. If you want to keep paying for your current plan you may choose to do so. The government pool is just another option for people who don't have a company health insurance plan and have to buy private insurance WHICH IS VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE. I was paying close to $900.00 per month for me and my son. It groups people together (like those in a company) and allows them to buy at similar discounted volume rates that insurers offer to businesses for their employees. The more people you have on a policy the cheaper it is.
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:
The more people you have on a policy the cheaper it is.


Wrong, the lower the combined risk factor to the insurance company, the lower the cost. If a group of HIV/Aids patients banded together and negotiated a group plan, I am pretty sure they'd pay higher premiums than a group that had not been ill in many years. With the Exchange or whatever they are calling this, if only those who goto the doctor regularly opt in, the cost will be much higher than it would if the same number of people opted in that didn't regularly go to the doctor
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:
I was paying close to $900.00 per month for me and my son.


Blue? didn't I just read in another thread that you owned a business employing 47 people? Why aren't you on your company's health plan?
The Republicans didn't opt out, the Democrats did. The cadillac plans are the ones with little or no deductibles or co-pays. The Republicans introduced an amendment requiring members of Congress to use healthcare from the Obama plan. It was voted down by the Democrats. To be fair though they knew before they introduced it that it would be voted down.
quote:
If you want to keep paying for your current plan you may choose to do so.
That sounds good but my plan won't be around for long. I don't agree with the way insurance companies set their rates but with the new rules in place now you can bet everyones insurance rates are going to go up in the coming years, a lot. In the end the federal government will be the only source for health insurance.
I hate the way the president used the idea of no insurance for people and that people can't get health care. You see dozens of people in the ER who don't have a lick of insurance and they don't pay. There are free clinics in our area where you don't have to pay to get treated. He lied all the way around. It's a shame that most of the people who voted this crap in were too stupid to see what is going on.
quote:
Originally posted by HARLEY FLSTS:
It's a shame that most of the people who voted this crap in were too stupid to see what is going on.


When Repubs vote for something that makes a lot of people upset, are they stupid also?

When Pres Bush stopped the 3.5% pay raise for the military, I don't remember Repubs calling him stupid.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:
The more people you have on a policy the cheaper it is.


Wrong, the lower the combined risk factor to the insurance company, the lower the cost. If a group of HIV/Aids patients banded together and negotiated a group plan, I am pretty sure they'd pay higher premiums than a group that had not been ill in many years. With the Exchange or whatever they are calling this, if only those who goto the doctor regularly opt in, the cost will be much higher than it would if the same number of people opted in that didn't regularly go to the doctor


Hmmm....thats a good point! But the more employees a company has to buy into a policy the better the rate they get. If you consider the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to treat bronchitis with an office visit than it is to wait until it becomes pnemonia and you are admitted to the hospital for a week. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Besides, preventative care coverage is now mandatory on all insurance.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:
I was paying close to $900.00 per month for me and my son.


Blue? didn't I just read in another thread that you owned a business employing 47 people? Why aren't you on your company's health plan?


Notice the words "WAS PAYING". I just expanded my business in December. We do have a company plan now. But 47 employees doesn't buy me a lot of leverage. Its still very, very expensive. And it seems I will be having a number of employees opting out next June because they feel it is too expensive. So, its still unclear if I will be able to continue to offer any benefits under a company plan. Even with the tax breaks the new bill will offer me.
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:

Notice the words "WAS PAYING". I just expanded my business in December. We do have a company plan now. But 47 employees doesn't buy me a lot of leverage. Its still very, very expensive. And it seems I will be having a number of employees opting out next June because they feel it is too expensive. So, its still unclear if I will be able to continue to offer any benefits under a company plan. Even with the tax breaks the new bill will offer me.


I've posted a couple links to the bill. I hope you've started reading it, You will continue to offer health plan, if I rememeber correctly what I read last night, you are going to pay 65% of your employees premiums. I wish you luck staying in business.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by True-Blue:

Notice the words "WAS PAYING". I just expanded my business in December. We do have a company plan now. But 47 employees doesn't buy me a lot of leverage. Its still very, very expensive. And it seems I will be having a number of employees opting out next June because they feel it is too expensive. So, its still unclear if I will be able to continue to offer any benefits under a company plan. Even with the tax breaks the new bill will offer me.


I've posted a couple links to the bill. I hope you've started reading it, You will continue to offer health plan, if I rememeber correctly what I read last night, you are going to pay 65% of your employees premiums. I wish you luck staying in business.


Being a lib, she'll be looking for a government bailout. Unfortunately for her, she won't qualify.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×