The only difference I see is the left wing religious nuts harp on the right wing religious nuts more.  DA said she didn't understand an atheist being a republican, but there are plenty of us, just as there are many religious nuts on the left.

Original Post
Originally Posted by Bestworking:

The only difference I see is the left wing religious nuts harp on the right wing religious nuts more.  DA said she didn't understand an atheist being a republican, but there are plenty of us, just as there are many religious nuts on the left.

 

 

Can you give me an example of what you mean in the bold print?

 

Truthfully the difference I see is that the left wing religious people are usually the ones that are more open minded and intelligent. They are usually the ones that think there should be g a y rights, and have more of a live and let live attitude. Where as the right want to legislate morality based on their fundie Christian beliefs.

 

The reason I don't understand how an atheist can be Republican (and I do know a few that I consider good friends) is because the Republican's party/candidates seem to be so driven by religion and want to create laws based on that.

 

Have you never heard of the Moral Majority? There is no equivalent on the left.

Of course there's an equivalent of the mj. They post on here all the time. And there is no difference in the religious nuts, certainly not in intelligence.  Neither side will hesitate to take politics into the church and tell people it is the wish of gawd for them to vote d or r depending on the church. They both use religion to push their agendas.  What I mean about harping on the right kinda speaks for itself. They are constantly talking about the religious right doing this or doing that, when in fact most of them agree with them religiously. Talk to any "religious nut" on the left and you can't tell if they're d or r by the stuff they spout.

Hmm, let's figure this out.

According to this recent poll, 98% of conservatives believe in God. About one third of Americans are Republican. So, let's see, if, as you have stated so many times, ALL Democrats are liars, and if, as you have stated, all Christians are deluded, that leaves 2% of that one third Americans are OK in your book. That leaves (get THIS!) 0.00666% of Americans who are NOT either deluded or outright liars.

 

Figuring the US population is about 307,006,550, that means there are a whole 18,420 people in the US whom you believe are honest and sane. Maybe you should all buy yourselves an island so you can get away from all of us evil Christians and evil Democrats.

 

 

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/ar...e-likely-be-atheists

98 percent of self-identified conservatives and 91 percent of moderates said they believed in God, but only 85 percent of liberals.

98 percent of self-identified Republicans said they believed in God, but only 90 percent of Democrats and 89 percent of Independents.

What I meant by the Moral Majority, is there is no organized, religious, large voting group on the left to compare to. Or at least I have never heard of one.

 

Maybe there will be a good canidate to vote for this time in the Republican party for president. If either Rick Perry or Romney are the nominations then I. just. can't.  Bachmann is a complete religious nut and I hope that she is weeded out pretty early on.

 

I wish there was a good alternative. The only reason I usually end up voting Democrat is because they don't preach and try and get laws passed based on their religion. I am not saying there are not some religious Dems out there, because I know there are. I just feel that they separate their beliefs from their politics better.

 

I seriously can't come up with one issue that the religious left have tried to push that is based solely on their beliefs. I am not being sarcastic, I just can't think of one. If you can please tell me. I am willing to listen.

I seriously can't come up with one issue that the religious left have tried to push that is based solely on their beliefs. I am not being sarcastic, I just can't think of one. If you can please tell me. I am willing to listen.

 

I don't vote Republican because of the religious nuts on the left. I vote Republican because it's the party that most suits my ideas. No one can agree with a party 100% and if they say they do they have a problem. I didn't say the religious left pushes a religious agenda on us, I said they use religion to push their agenda just as much as the religious right by telling their followers that god wants them to vote for their candidate. Then they belittle the right for doing it when in fact, as I stated, most of them go right along with the religious beliefs of the right. It's just one little sneaky trick they've turned into a weapon. They can use religion, and at the same time decry the right for doing the same. I guess they can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to using religion politically.

Originally Posted by O No!:

Tolerance. G a y rights. A woman's right to choose. Charity for the poor. Conservation. Those are a few, for starters.

*** rights is not Biblical. Abortion is pre- meditated murder, not Biblical. Republicans give more to charity than democrats. Conservation is non-party. I belong to the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society.

Tolerance is an ideal but not a practice. Just look on this forum.

http://www.realclearpolitics.c...ore_liberal_giv.html


If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

 

Next! 

Originally Posted by b50m:
Originally Posted by O No!:

Tolerance. G a y rights. A woman's right to choose. Charity for the poor. Conservation. Those are a few, for starters.

*** rights is not Biblical. Abortion is pre- meditated murder, not Biblical. Republicans give more to charity than democrats. Conservation is non-party. I belong to the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society.

Tolerance is an ideal but not a practice. Just look on this forum.

http://www.realclearpolitics.c...ore_liberal_giv.html


If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

 

Next! 

Was tithing classified as charitable giving in that study? 

  • Tithing vs. Other Charitable Contributions

    • Any donation which you provide to the church that does not benefit you is tax deductible. If, on the other hand, you purchase a $50.00 ticket to the county fair and proceeds go to the church, you will need to deduct the fair market value of the fair ticket and only claim the portion which is left over. For example, if the cost of the county fair ticket is usually $25.00, then you must deduct this amount from the $50.00 price of the ticket and only claim the remaining amount, $25.00, on your tax return. Do not confuse these types of church fundraisers with tithing.

    Limits

    • Keep in mind that there is a limit on itemized deductions for taxpayers earning more than $166,800. Also, your claimed contributions cannot exceed 50 percent of your income. Contributions over $250 will need to be accompanied by written verifications of contributions from your church. All contributions, even small donations, must be supported by records such as banks statements, canceled checks or money order receipts. Before 2007, taxpayers could use personal notes and ledgers as sufficient records for small tithing donations but the IRS has since changed these guidelines.

    Claiming

    • In order to claim the tithes as charitable contributions, you will need to itemize your tax return. The best and most efficient form for itemizing your taxes is Form 1040. Also, you'll need to report your charitable donations on lines 16 through 19 of Schedule A. Enter all cash tithes on line 16 and all non-cash tithes on line 17 of Schedule A.

      If your tithes exceed $500, you may need to complete the first section of IRS Form 8283. Usually, this form should only be completed if your total noncash tithes were over $500 or if you made a donation which was over $5,000 for one item.



Read more: How Do I Claim Tithes on My Taxes? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_590299..._.html#ixzz1XwHZOACZ
Originally Posted by DarkAngel:

I thought this was funny. It pretty much gives it to both sides. I will say that I agree with most all of it. Our politics and warring parties are more similar than many of us like to admit.

 

Please read...and have a laugh.

http://www.americanpolitics.com/030499dictionary.html

____________________________________________________________________________

DA, thanks. THAT was FUNNY!!

 

 

Thanks, bestworking.  So yes, tithing can be and probably usually is filed as charitable giving. That tells us the inferences in b50m's above post are not only invalid, but the author of that study either didn't know to or didn't want to do the most obvious research. Or maybe he or she was hoping it would only be reported to idiots who would take it at face value. We all see the confounding variable there, right?

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

I seriously can't come up with one issue that the religious left have tried to push that is based solely on their beliefs. I am not being sarcastic, I just can't think of one. If you can please tell me. I am willing to listen.

 

I don't vote Republican because of the religious nuts on the left. I vote Republican because it's the party that most suits my ideas. No one can agree with a party 100% and if they say they do they have a problem. I didn't say the religious left pushes a religious agenda on us, I said they use religion to push their agenda just as much as the religious right by telling their followers that god wants them to vote for their candidate. Then they belittle the right for doing it when in fact, as I stated, most of them go right along with the religious beliefs of the right. It's just one little sneaky trick they've turned into a weapon. They can use religion, and at the same time decry the right for doing the same. I guess they can have their cake and eat it too when it comes to using religion politically.

 

 

I don't agree with the Democrats 100% either. Just as you say the reason that you vote Republican is the reason I almost always vote Dem. They suit my ideas more. If I understand you right what you are saying is that the left uses religion to win elections? I think that might be true in some areas. Like the south. Not so much on a national level. However with the nation being primarily Christian then I am sure they almost have to play to that voting majority. My point is that the Democrats never (not in my voting life) try to pass a law or rewrite our Constitution based on their religious beliefs. That is a MAJOR issue for me. So they get my vote 9 times out of 10. The religious right has way too much control over the Republican party for me to support them. When and if they clean it up then I would consider taking them more seriously. 

 

The President has been very clear on his religious beliefs, yet he has also stated that it is only his belief and he has recognized others as just as valid. He has even spoken of those with no religion favorably. I can't recall a Republican President or candidate that has ever done the same. I remember reading in horror as Bush declared that God spoke to him on whether or not to go to war with Iraq. I really honestly don't care what a candidate believes in his personal life. If they can separate their personal beliefs from their service to ALL Americans it is really none of my business.

 

So to me, the economic issues are not the biggy. Both parties will spend our money for their own reasons. Both parties will lie to us. But the Republican party will continue to try and make all American's live under the rule of Christianity and that I will not vote for or support.

B and HoD, I meant to get back to you earlier. Been a busy day.

 

While g a y rights is not Biblical, I think it is something that should be left between a person and their God. Same with abortion. I would never have one, but I think the choice should be left up to the woman and her God. I just don't think politics and a person's beliefs should be mixed.

 

When I say tolerance, that is what I'm talking about. Letting PEOPLE decide what their moral beliefs are, not letting the government TELL people what they should believe or do.

 

And as far as conservation goes, while YOU may believe in it, your party generally favors business over conservation.

 

And when I say charity for the poor, I'm talking about all of the social programs the Repubs want to cut. I WISH they would hire enough case workers to investigate whether or not individuals NEED assistance so that instead of letting people get away with "working the system", these benefits would only go to the truly deserving. But until they do, I'd rather see 12 people get it undeservedly, than see one person who truly needs it be denied.

Originally Posted by Glass Onion:

Thanks, bestworking.  So yes, tithing can be and probably usually is filed as charitable giving. That tells us the inferences in b50m's above post are not only invalid, but the author of that study either didn't know to or didn't want to do the most obvious research. Or maybe he or she was hoping it would only be reported to idiots who would take it at face value. We all see the confounding variable there, right?

So you consider the whole article invalid yet was too lazy to read it or do your own homework?

 

Do you have a twin who posts st the TNF? I knew someone over there who always asks for verification from any one who posts an article. Of course, anything he posted was to be taken at face value like an idiot.

Originally Posted by b50m:
Originally Posted by Glass Onion:

Thanks, bestworking.  So yes, tithing can be and probably usually is filed as charitable giving. That tells us the inferences in b50m's above post are not only invalid, but the author of that study either didn't know to or didn't want to do the most obvious research. Or maybe he or she was hoping it would only be reported to idiots who would take it at face value. We all see the confounding variable there, right?

So you consider the whole article invalid yet was too lazy to read it or do your own homework?

 

Do you have a twin who posts st the TNF? I knew someone over there who always asks for verification from any one who posts an article. Of course, anything he posted was to be taken at face value like an idiot.

Pardon me for overstating the obvious, something that evidently flew right over your head. I didn't infer the whole article lacked validity, just the point you were trying to make with the facts you posted from it.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Of course there's an equivalent of the mj.

------

 

Best, there is no more "Moral Majority."  They are now called "Tea Party."  The MJ went out of style with Jim and Tammy Baker.

 

I consider myself a libertarian but since no one knows what that is, I'm a Republican (and I hold my nose while saying that).  The republican party has been taken over by nuts.

 

But you raise an interesting point: When I admitted to myself I was an atheist years ago, it kinda ticked me off that most other atheists seem to thing that "Democrat" was the default position for atheism.  I've certainly become far less conservative but I'm way for from being a liberal.

Originally Posted by Unobtanium:
Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Of course there's an equivalent of the mj.

------

 

Best, there is no more "Moral Majority."  They are now called "Tea Party."  The MJ went out of style with Jim and Tammy Baker.

 

I consider myself a libertarian but since no one knows what that is, I'm a Republican (and I hold my nose while saying that).  The republican party has been taken over by nuts.

 

But you raise an interesting point: When I admitted to myself I was an atheist years ago, it kinda ticked me off that most other atheists seem to thing that "Democrat" was the default position for atheism.  I've certainly become far less conservative but I'm way for from being a liberal.

If you are a libertarian, you get Ron Paul and John Stossels.

 

They are nuts.

Originally Posted by b50m:

The point was and is, republicans give more to charity. Since you asked if tithing was included in that study, you didn't read the article.

Since you're missing the obvious, you apparently didn't read the sentence in the article you chose to quote that refutes your point entirely. You did your homework, so now we're checking for reading comprehension. It ain't rocket science, and it's spelled out in English. 

can't speak for Rram but I don't and neither do I claim charitable deductions. I feel that it is deceitful. It is Uncle Sam giving it not the person. Thats just my opinion. I don't fault anyone else for claiming them. Why do you ask you li'l lying cat under my feet.

Why can't you speak for Ramm?  Did you take your meds today and you only have okuok to talk with?

LOL

 

You nut, every one knows you are Ramm and Buffalo and magpie and a thousand others. Sheesh.

 

“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.” Abraham Lincoln

 

 

Your memory sucks ramm.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

Onion, surely you can google. It's no secret conservatives give more to charity.

We got that. That's rudimentary. Now read between the lines and figure out why. Or read the article if you prefer. This google you speak of... can you do a search for "confounding variable"? Surely you can.

Since you are purposely trying to be an azz, GO, I'll take;

republican=conservatives=church folks=tithing=contributions.

 

However, no where in the article did he mention church contributions.

 

He did say:

While conservatives tend to regard giving as a personal rather than governmental responsibility, some liberals consider private charity a retrograde phenomenon -- a poor palliative for an inadequate welfare state, and a distraction from achieving adequacy by force, by increasing taxes.



So as I said, tithing may or may not be counted on a tax form as it is considered a personal thing.


I never claimed it on my taxes when I gave to a church.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×