Hi to my Forum Friends,

In the discussion I began titled "Is It Really 'Free Will' -- Or Coercion?" -- my Friend, Chick, seems to feel that I have been maligning and making fun of Southerners.  So, I want to take a moment and set the record straight.

Chick, let's get our dialogue in order.  Then, we can see who said what to whom:

You wrote regarding me, "From a man that claims he's proud of his Southern upbringing, he's doing everything he can to make the people from the South look like a bunch of idiot rednecks.  What does that make Bill?  An idiot!"

And, I replied:


"Hi Chick,  As usual, your perception has me perplexed.  Where do you find anything about Southerners in my post?   Whether you can believe it or not --  people all over the world discuss God, Jesus Christ, Christianity, and the Bible.   Trust me -- it is not just a Southern thang!

Or, is it that you are just so desperate to find some issue on which you can attempt to disagree with me -- that you will even make up non-existent issues?    But, whatever makes you happy.  God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,  Bill"

 

Then, Chick, you tell me, "Good grief, Bill!  Did you read Magpie's post at all that I quoted????  My post was in reply to what Magpie said, which was, 'He (which is you) has a worldwide reading audience through his church ministry.  These people are already believers and enjoy watching Bill respond to you fringe lunatics.  It’s like a series on TV.  His reading audience [me included] outside this forum tune in weekly to watch the monkeys jump around as Bill pulls your tails.  You people are just suckers and take the bait hook-line-and-sinker.'"

Yes, Chick, I saw what Magpie had written and will admit that it is not the way I would have written it.  However, he is correct that I do have a "Friends Ministry" through which I communicate with and share with Friends from all around the world.  Just one correction -- not all who are in my Friends Ministry mail list are believers.  I know for sure that I have one Mormon elder who has been on my mail list for years; and I have a missionary from Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church who has been reading my messages for years.   Over the years, I have had a number of folks on my mail list who have tried to convert me -- or at least convince me that lifestyles such as homosexuality and same-sex marriage are acceptable to God.  But, on the whole, as Magpie said, most of my readers are fellow believers.

But, let me correct a misconception that both you and Magpie seem to hold.  My Friends Ministry is not a "church ministry."   It is independent of our church and is a function of the "Bill & Dory Gray Christian Ministries" which I describe in the following manner on the reverse side of our business card:


A Christian Ministry of Edification and Encouragement:  Our ministry is to provide Christian writings, articles, information, tracts, and humor for the edification of all believers; and to provide information to guide non-believers toward a life with Jesus Christ.

Do you have friends or relatives who will be edified or encouraged by our web site (blog) or e-mail ministry?  If so, please tell them about it.  Mabuhay!


A desire Dory and I have prayed about for many years is to be able to go to an area, such as North San Diego County, and start a Bible Study/Music Ministry.  This would be a Christian ministry, not a church, and not affiliated with any group or church (thus not competing with any church or other Christian group) -- and it would entail having Bible studies several evenings a week, worship in music several evenings a week -- and doing them in English, Spanish, and Tagalog.

Why an area such as North San Diego County?  Because this is an area which has a good mix of population -- including Hispanic and Filipino -- and is not as heavily populated with Christian ministries as are Orange Country, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc..

Another area might be in the state of Washington.   But, if and when it happens -- we will leave to God, along with the location.

In the meantime, Dory and I will continue doing the ministries God has given us, at the level He has made available to us -- and wait upon His timing and His pleasure.  My ministry at this time is mostly writing; while Dory's ministry is music.  This year, Dory has begun giving piano and voice lessons to young people.  She is the "music" part of our family and ministry.

And, then, Chick, you tell me, "We all know that you use this forum & all of us in your writings to your 'world wide reading audience'  & that you do everything you can to make us look like stupid ass rednecks.  WE are in the South, this forum is in the South, do you get it yet?"

Quite often I do send to my Friends Ministry what I have posted on the Religion Forum.  Why not?  If the Christian message is sufficient for my Friends and family in the Shoals area of Alabama -- why shouldn't it be good for those in my Friends Ministry to read?

And, often, I will write a message for my Friends Ministry group -- and then share it with my Religion Forum Friends.  So, It goes both ways.

Am I "using" the Religion Forum and trying to make Southerners "look like stupid ass rednecks" as you write?  The people of the Shoals are my home town family.  Who in their right mind would cast aspersions upon their own family?  Not sure about you, Chick, but, I am very proud of being a Southerner.  I wear the title proudly!

As a matter of fact, yesterday my wife and I were at a Baby Baptismal Celebration and she was telling another Filipina that her first husband (who is deceased) was an Ilocano (from the coastal areas of northern Luzon in the Philippines).   And, I told her, "Yes, you  went from an Ilocano -- to an Alabamian!"   My Friend, I wear the honor of being born and raised in Alabama, in the South, proudly.

So, Chick, if YOU think that folks from the Shoals, and other Southerners, are "stupid ass rednecks" -- please do not attribute that belief to me.  As I said, I have lots of family in the Shoals area, I have lots of friends in the Shoals area -- and, I am happy to tell anyone who will listen that I am a product of the Shoals area -- a Southerner -- from Alabama!

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

Sheffield_Downtown_HOMETOWN-1

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post
Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi to my Forum Friends,

In the discussion I began titled "Is It Really 'Free Will' -- Or Coercion?" -- my Friend, Chick, seems to feel that I have been maligning and making fun of Southerners.  So, I want to take a moment and set the record straight.

Chick, let's get our dialogue in order.  Then, we can see who said what to whom:

You wrote regarding me, "From a man that claims he's proud of his Southern upbringing, he's doing everything he can to make the people from the South look like a bunch of idiot rednecks.  What does that make Bill?  An idiot!"

And, I replied:


"Hi Chick,  As usual, your perception has me perplexed.  Where do you find anything about Southerners in my post?   Whether you can believe it or not --  people all over the world discuss God, Jesus Christ, Christianity, and the Bible.   Trust me -- it is not just a Southern thang!

Or, is it that you are just so desperate to find some issue on which you can attempt to disagree with me -- that you will even make up non-existent issues?    But, whatever makes you happy.  God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,  Bill"

 

Then, Chick, you tell me, "Good grief, Bill!  Did you read Magpie's post at all that I quoted????  My post was in reply to what Magpie said, which was, 'He (which is you) has a worldwide reading audience through his church ministry.  These people are already believers and enjoy watching Bill respond to you fringe lunatics.  It’s like a series on TV.  His reading audience [me included] outside this forum tune in weekly to watch the monkeys jump around as Bill pulls your tails.  You people are just suckers and take the bait hook-line-and-sinker.'"

Yes, Chick, I saw what Magpie had written and will admit that it is not the way I would have written it.  However, he is correct that I do have a "Friends Ministry" through which I communicate with and share with Friends from all around the world.  Just one correction -- not all who are in my Friends Ministry mail list are believers.  I know for sure that I have one Mormon elder who has been on my mail list for years; and I have a missionary from Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church who has been reading my messages for years.   Over the years, I have had a number of folks on my mail list who have tried to convert me -- or at least convince me that lifestyles such as homosexuality and same-sex marriage are acceptable to God.  But, on the whole, as Magpie said, most of my readers are fellow believers.

But, let me correct a misconception that both you and Magpie seem to hold.  My Friends Ministry is not a "church ministry."   It is independent of our church and is a function of the "Bill & Dory Gray Christian Ministries" which I describe in the following manner on the reverse side of our business card:


A Christian Ministry of Edification and Encouragement:  Our ministry is to provide Christian writings, articles, information, tracts, and humor for the edification of all believers; and to provide information to guide non-believers toward a life with Jesus Christ.

Do you have friends or relatives who will be edified or encouraged by our web site (blog) or e-mail ministry?  If so, please tell them about it.  Mabuhay!


A desire Dory and I have prayed about for many years is to be able to go to an area, such as North San Diego County, and start a Bible Study/Music Ministry.  This would be a Christian ministry, not a church, and not affiliated with any group or church (thus not competing with any church or other Christian group) -- and it would entail having Bible studies several evenings a week, worship in music several evenings a week -- and doing them in English, Spanish, and Tagalog.

Why an area such as North San Diego County?  Because this is an area which has a good mix of population -- including Hispanic and Filipino -- and is not as heavily populated with Christian ministries as are Orange Country, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc..

Another area might be in the state of Washington.   But, if and when it happens -- we will leave to God, along with the location.

In the meantime, Dory and I will continue doing the ministries God has given us, at the level He has made available to us -- and wait upon His timing and His pleasure.  My ministry at this time is mostly writing; while Dory's ministry is music.  This year, Dory has begun giving piano and voice lessons to young people.  She is the "music" part of our family and ministry.

And, then, Chick, you tell me, "We all know that you use this forum & all of us in your writings to your 'world wide reading audience'  & that you do everything you can to make us look like stupid ass rednecks.  WE are in the South, this forum is in the South, do you get it yet?"

Quite often I do send to my Friends Ministry what I have posted on the Religion Forum.  Why not?  If the Christian message is sufficient for my Friends and family in the Shoals area of Alabama -- why shouldn't it be good for those in my Friends Ministry to read?

And, often, I will write a message for my Friends Ministry group -- and then share it with my Religion Forum Friends.  So, It goes both ways.

Am I "using" the Religion Forum and trying to make Southerners "look like stupid ass rednecks" as you write?  The people of the Shoals are my home town family.  Who in their right mind would cast aspersions upon their own family?  Not sure about you, Chick, but, I am very proud of being a Southerner.  I wear the title proudly!

As a matter of fact, yesterday my wife and I were at a Baby Baptismal Celebration and she was telling another Filipina that her first husband (who is deceased) was an Ilocano (from the coastal areas of northern Luzon in the Philippines).   And, I told her, "Yes, you  went from an Ilocano -- to an Alabamian!"   My Friend, I wear the honor of being born and raised in Alabama, in the South, proudly.

So, Chick, if YOU think that folks from the Shoals, and other Southerners, are "stupid ass rednecks" -- please do not attribute that belief to me.  As I said, I have lots of family in the Shoals area, I have lots of friends in the Shoals area -- and, I am happy to tell anyone who will listen that I am a product of the Shoals area -- a Southerner -- from Alabama!

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

Sheffield_Downtown_HOMETOWN-1

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

Excuse me, I need the Maalox.

 

.

Vic, my Friend,

 

You need much more than Maalox.  But, that is another story.

 

Thank you for giving my post more exposure.   Every little bit helps when we are spreading the Word of God -- even by folks who have more nefarious intentions.   So, my Friend, in your own bumbling way -- you are helping spread God's Word every time you repeat my posts for others to read. 

 

God thanks you and I thank you!

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

 

Bill, there’s no “seems to feel” about it at all. You constantly malign & make fun of the people on this forum, most of whom are Southerners. Make up non-existent issues????? Not at all.

Bill, you at one time sent a link here to your “Friends Ministry”. I read it, as did some others here & it po'ed quite a few people off. You were using this forum to show your “world wide audience” how tough you have it among all us heathens…..Atheist, New Age, Mormons, Agnostic, Catholic……..trying to “lead us to Christ”. One writing you did was one particular topic/post you wrote on this forum. You posted some of the response’s but you picked & chose only what you wanted people to see. You chose what would put the people here in the worse light possible. You left out quite a lot of the response. Why? Because you didn’t want those people to read what most of us here really think of you. You also left out your little put downs of us & your stupid little cartoons.

 

What Magpie wrote is not what you would have written?? Duh! It was his post, Bill, his words. They weren’t supposed to be your words, or how you would have written it.

Are we supposed to be impressed that you have a Mormon on your mailing list? Wonder how he would feel about the way you treat the Mormons on this forum? Or a Moon church that has been reading your crap for years? That’s funny if you think we are supposed to be impressed. I, for one, am not!

 

I don’t need you to correct any misconception of mine, I haven’t made any kind of misconception about you. I know exactly what you are. You may fool a lot of people but not this chick! I wouldn’t tell any of my friends/family about your blog or anything to do with an arrogant ass like yourself that puts himself out there as a Christian.

 

Trying to impress us yet again, Bill, with what you & the little wife are doing, where you’re going? You the writer/her the music maker? Boasting & bragging, Bill? Not a good thing to do according to the Bible. James 4:16 says "But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil". Of course that wouldn't apply to you, would it?

 

Why shouldn't what you post here be good for those in your Friends Ministry to read??? Because you write only what you want them to read. As I said, you don’t post what most of us think of you on this forum. You write what makes you look good. I stand by what I said. You do whatever you have to do to make the people on this forum look stupid!

Have I said anything about your family posting on this forum? No, I have not! I was talking about the people on this forum. If you do have family posting on this forum, I'm sure he/she wouldn't admit to being related to you. They may very well be embarrassed if they read this forum.

 

Bill, you have no idea what it is to be a proud Southerner. You may have been raised here but you, my dear sir, have no idea of what it is to be a True Southern Alabama Gentleman! I am very proud of my Southern Heritage & the comment I made that you try to make the Southerners on this forum look like "stupid ass rednecks”, I entirely attribute that belief to you. You may be a product of the Shoals, but you are no Southerner, & you for sure are not a Christian!!!

Now, see, Chick,

 

Don't you feel better?  You've gotten all the venom out of your system; jumped up and down a bit -- and now you can take a Prozac and get some sleep.  I always feel much better when I can help a Friend solve a problem.

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed night,

 

Bill

It is a southern "thang".  Since coming back from Korea in the early 50s, I have lived in most areas of the United States. Nowhere else do they say grace in an auto at Burger King. Nowhere else do I receive phone calls at 8 PM from a Baptist Church prosletizing   Nowhere else do I get a knock on the door and open it at 8:30 PM and find no one there except for a pamplet from the baptist church across the street. Do your churches have a hit list of people they try to save? I am happy as an atheist except for the people who think I am not happy  since I have not been saved. How do I get off your "Call" list???  Better yet, give me the old answer. "If you don't like it here, move".

Originally Posted by rimshot:

It is a southern "thang".  Since coming back from Korea in the early 50s, I have lived in most areas of the United States. Nowhere else do they say grace in an auto at Burger King. Nowhere else do I receive phone calls at 8 PM from a Baptist Church prosletizing   Nowhere else do I get a knock on the door and open it at 8:30 PM and find no one there except for a pamplet from the baptist church across the street. Do your churches have a hit list of people they try to save? I am happy as an atheist except for the people who think I am not happy  since I have not been saved. How do I get off your "Call" list???  Better yet, give me the old answer. "If you don't like it here, move".


**********************************************************************************************************************

 

A friend suggested this to me when the jw kept coming by-You make a little sign. Nice little framed sign hung over the doorbell that says, "If you are unexpected or uninvited, you are also unwelcome". 

Originally Posted by Jennifer:
Originally Posted by rimshot:

It is a southern "thang".  Since coming back from Korea in the early 50s, I have lived in most areas of the United States. Nowhere else do they say grace in an auto at Burger King. Nowhere else do I receive phone calls at 8 PM from a Baptist Church prosletizing   Nowhere else do I get a knock on the door and open it at 8:30 PM and find no one there except for a pamplet from the baptist church across the street. Do your churches have a hit list of people they try to save? I am happy as an atheist except for the people who think I am not happy  since I have not been saved. How do I get off your "Call" list???  Better yet, give me the old answer. "If you don't like it here, move".


**********************************************************************************************************************

 

A friend suggested this to me when the jw kept coming by-You make a little sign. Nice little framed sign hung over the doorbell that says, "If you are unexpected or uninvited, you are also unwelcome-ring bell at your own risk" (I didn't put the ring bell part on my sign) It worked for me. Someone said they put one up that said  "Beware of dogs-christians taste like chicken to them". 

 I had forgotten about that, it was a long time ago. I don't see anybody going door to door anymore trying to "witness". Not saying they don't, just not around here. Sometimes they leave the pamplets on the counters of stores or restaurants, or they try to hand them to you.

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Now, see, Chick,

Don't you feel better?  You've gotten all the venom out of your system; jumped up and down a bit -- and now you can take a Prozac and get some sleep.  I always feel much better when I can help a Friend solve a problem.

Bill

***************************************************************************************

Thank you, Bill. Never had any use for Prozac but evidently you must. I didn't know it was a sleeping pill. You should try jumping up & down, exercise always makes one sleep better. It's very sad that you have no friends & have to pretend to have some on this forum.

Originally Posted by Jennifer:
Originally Posted by Jennifer:
Originally Posted by rimshot:

It is a southern "thang".  Since coming back from Korea in the early 50s, I have lived in most areas of the United States. Nowhere else do they say grace in an auto at Burger King. Nowhere else do I receive phone calls at 8 PM from a Baptist Church prosletizing   Nowhere else do I get a knock on the door and open it at 8:30 PM and find no one there except for a pamplet from the baptist church across the street. Do your churches have a hit list of people they try to save? I am happy as an atheist except for the people who think I am not happy  since I have not been saved. How do I get off your "Call" list???  Better yet, give me the old answer. "If you don't like it here, move".


**********************************************************************************************************************

 

A friend suggested this to me when the jw kept coming by-You make a little sign. Nice little framed sign hung over the doorbell that says, "If you are unexpected or uninvited, you are also unwelcome-ring bell at your own risk" (I didn't put the ring bell part on my sign) It worked for me. Someone said they put one up that said  "Beware of dogs-christians taste like chicken to them". 

 I had forgotten about that, it was a long time ago. I don't see anybody going door to door anymore trying to "witness". Not saying they don't, just not around here. Sometimes they leave the pamplets on the counters of stores or restaurants, or they try to hand them to you.

There are signs up saying no soliciting, etc but they still come at odd hours and now into evening hours.  Do not call lists are no good. They are supposedly a non profit organization.  I feel like I am being faced by a baptist borg, waving its tentacles and saying you will be assimilated. I just wish they would try to save another person for a while.

" I had forgotten about that, it was a long time ago. I don't see anybody going door to door anymore trying to "witness". Not saying they don't, just not around here. Sometimes they leave the pamplets on the counters of stores or restaurants, or they try to hand them to you."

 

as of 2 years ago they apparently came to my house when i wasn't home and left a pamphlet of some sort on my front porch, and it was left open on a page pertaining to getting past a tragedy or something similar (this was just after my best friend was killed in a car crash). so i dont know if they knew me personally or if it was just a coincidence, but that pamphlet went straight to the trash. but it was definitely from them..the whole situation was weird. i didnt want help from anyone much less them

I guess one thing that you could do if you know which church is leaving you the materials (they usually have their name on the pamplets), is to print out a boatload of atheist materials and take it to them. Why would they mind? After all, if they feel they can leave you unsolicited material why can't you return the gesture?

I had a group of local teens sent to my back door to try to trick me into some survey...of course the last question was if I knew where I would go if I died that night.  I stopped them after a couple of questions (do you have children, etc.) and asked what the last one was.  When they said i asked them if their parents knew they were lying to and tricking people.  When they said their parents sent them I asked them if they knew this house was back off the street and no one could see them...if their parents meant to send them out to strangers' dangerous homes to lie to and trick them.

 

So they looked all confused and I asked them what church they were tricking people into going to, and when they told me I said i just wanted to know so I would know which churches were teaching their kids to lie to people.  I also told them they might want to rethink going to strangers' houses uninvited since lots of people have guns and don't appreciate people soliciting and tricking them.  

 

No group has come since...I wouldn't dream of going to someone's house to do that.  That is disgusting.

I agree with all of you. I am a Christian, but I know that this kind of behavior turns people off to religion. Everyone in America (with a few exceptions) has heard of God and Jesus and the Bible. Beating them over the head with it will only drive them further away.  While I would love to see more people find the joy I have found in my Lord, I will only show by example what being a Christian is like, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do the rest.

They definitely still go door to door. A car load of Mormons in a small station wagon came to our house and knocked on the door one Sunday last month. We pretended no one was home till they went away and they had left pamphlets on the door. Went straight in the trash.

There are also two boys that wear suits and ride bicycles that go door to door in Russellville. I see them all the time.
Originally Posted by dark dreamer:
They definitely still go door to door. A car load of Mormons in a small station wagon came to our house and knocked on the door one Sunday last month. We pretended no one was home till they went away and they had left pamphlets on the door. Went straight in the trash.

There are also two boys that wear suits and ride bicycles that go door to door in Russellville. I see them all the time.

 

 

 

I like the J.W. ladies that come around. The last time they came by the house, I invited them in. After they sat down I went and got my Jim Beam and 3 shot glasses and proceeded to take shots, and offered them one. I was polite, and they were polite, but after I had taken 4 or five shots, they cut the lesson short and went on to save someone else.

quote:   Originally Posted by O No!:

I agree with all of you. I am a Christian, but I know that this kind of behavior turns people off to religion. Everyone in America (with a few exceptions) has heard of God and Jesus and the Bible. Beating them over the head with it will only drive them further away.  While I would love to see more people find the joy I have found in my Lord, I will only show by example what being a Christian is like, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do the rest.


Hi O,

 

Somehow, when Jesus told us in Matthew 28:19-20, to Go, Make Disciples, Baptize them, TEACH Them -- I do not see in there were He tells us to "just be good examples" and let folks watch you.   I get the feeling that when He said, "Go!" -- He meant, "Go!" 

 

My brother got a surprise a few years ago when he and a friend from their Baptist church went door knocking in Florence.   An older man came to the door.  And, when my brother introduced himself, the man told him, "I have been looking for you!"    My brother was shocked and ask what he meant.

 

The man explained, "My son, Steve Edmundson, sells car insurance to your brother in California."

 

And, it is true.  About 12 years ago, I had moved to a new city and decided to change my Farmer's Insurance to a local office.  I went to the Yellow Pages, found the office closest to me -- and went there.  That is when Steve became my insurance agent.

 

Some months later, talking with Steve and his wife, I found that he is from Florence and that we have a number of friends and things in common.  A few years ago, my brother moved to a different Baptist church where he was deacon until his health made him stop -- and Steve's dad is in his Sunday School class.   How's that for a small world?

 

But, no, O No -- we are not commanded to be Couch Potato Christians -- but, believers who will Go, Make Disciples, Baptize Them, Teach Them -- and be His witnesses to all the world (Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15).  How are we going to do that sitting on our couch?

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:
quote:   Originally Posted by O No!:

I agree with all of you. I am a Christian, but I know that this kind of behavior turns people off to religion. Everyone in America (with a few exceptions) has heard of God and Jesus and the Bible. Beating them over the head with it will only drive them further away.  While I would love to see more people find the joy I have found in my Lord, I will only show by example what being a Christian is like, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do the rest.


Hi O,

 

Somehow, when Jesus told us in Matthew 28:19-20, to Go, Make Disciples, Baptize them, TEACH Them -- I do not see in there were He tells us to "just be good examples" and let folks watch you.   I get the feeling that when He said, "Go!" -- He meant, "Go!" 

 

My brother got a surprise a few years ago when he and a friend from their Baptist church went door knocking in Florence.   An older man came to the door.  And, when my brother introduced himself, the man told him, "I have been looking for you!"    My brother was shocked and ask what he meant.

 

The man explained, "My son, Steve Edmundson, sells car insurance to your brother in California."

 

And, it is true.  About 12 years ago, I had moved to a new city and decided to change my Farmer's Insurance to a local office.  I went to the Yellow Pages, found the office closest to me -- and went there.  That is when Steve became my insurance agent.

 

Some months later, talking with Steve and his wife, I found that he is from Florence and that we have a number of friends and things in common.  A few years ago, my brother moved to a different Baptist church where he was deacon until his health made him stop -- and Steve's dad is in his Sunday School class.   How's that for a small world?

 

But, no, O No -- we are not commanded to be Couch Potato Christians -- but, believers who will Go, Make Disciples, Baptize Them, Teach Them -- and be His witnesses to all the world (Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15).  How are we going to do that sitting on our couch?

 

 

You copied her post Billie-j, why didn't you read it???

 

.

Originally Posted by O No!:

I agree with all of you. I am a Christian, but I know that this kind of behavior turns people off to religion. Everyone in America (with a few exceptions) has heard of God and Jesus and the Bible. Beating them over the head with it will only drive them further away.  While I would love to see more people find the joy I have found in my Lord, I will only show by example what being a Christian is like, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do the rest.

****************************************************************************

Good for you, girlfriend!

Originally Posted by ReleaseTheElephant:

       
       
Originally Posted by dark dreamer:
They definitely still go door to door. A car load of Mormons in a small station wagon came to our house and knocked on the door one Sunday last month. We pretended no one was home till they went away and they had left pamphlets on the door. Went straight in the trash.

There are also two boys that wear suits and ride bicycles that go door to door in Russellville. I see them all the time.


I like the J.W. ladies that come around. The last time they came by the house, I invited them in. After they sat down I went and got my Jim Beam and 3 shot glasses and proceeded to take shots, and offered them one. I was polite, and they were polite, but after I had taken 4 or five shots, they cut the lesson short and went on to save someone else.



I've always wanted to do that Cage but usually just don't want to even have to deal with em when they show up. Religion has ****ed up so many people. There is really nothing you can do for them either. In the end it is their decision to continue in their madness. I want no part of it.
Originally Posted by dark dreamer:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheElephant:

       
       
Originally Posted by dark dreamer:
They definitely still go door to door. A car load of Mormons in a small station wagon came to our house and knocked on the door one Sunday last month. We pretended no one was home till they went away and they had left pamphlets on the door. Went straight in the trash.

There are also two boys that wear suits and ride bicycles that go door to door in Russellville. I see them all the time. 
 
You sure you got it right on the carload? Probably J.W.'s, they leave pamplets when no one is home. Mormon Missionaries don't to my knowledge, could be wrong. The two boys on the bikes, probably LDS (Mormon). I've hid too. Not only J.W.'s but from Home Teachers(who comes when your in the church). I just wasn't in the mood.
Skippy

 

I think you're probably right on that one skippy. They were Jehovah's Witnesses most likely but the little car was full of people(at least 4 if not 5).  Like I said we were hid from the windows while they were on our porch and just glanced at the literature briefly before tossing it in the trash. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing personal against Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. My philosophy is live and let live just don't try to push it on me.

Yeah, I know the two guys on the bikes are definitely LDS.

LOL - I can remember my parents hiding sometimes when preachers would come "visiting" when I was a little kid. Maybe that's where I got it from.

Bill, there is more than one way to spread God's word. And a LOT of them are much more effective than knocking on doors.

 

When someone comes into my shop and asks what brought me here, I say "God." That will usually open a conversation, and without making them feel like I am invading their privacy. Just read the responses on this thread. NOBODY likes having strangers knock on their door and tell them they are d a m n e d. But no one takes offense if I tell them about MY life, and MY experiences with my Lord. That is called planting a seed, and I would be willing to bet that seeds planted that way take root and grow much more often than seeds planted at a stranger's door.

Originally Posted by dark dreamer:
I think you're probably right on that one skippy. They were Jehovah's Witnesses most likely but the little car was full of people(at least 4 if not 5).  Like I said we were hid from the windows while they were on our porch and just glanced at the literature briefly before tossing it in the trash. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing personal against Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. My philosophy is live and let live just don't try to push it on me.

Yeah, I know the two guys on the bikes are definitely LDS.

LOL - I can remember my parents hiding sometimes when preachers would come "visiting" when I was a little kid. Maybe that's where I got it from.

The last time they came to my door and said, "Is there anything we can do for you?", I asked if they would like to rake some leaves, and they took off like they were shot out of a gun.

Originally Posted by Magpie:
Good grief, why would I want to be mean or rude to JW or Mormans or anyone else that comes to my door? How stupid and forum like you people are.

My house is way off the road and they have to come to my back door to speak with me.  I am not rude to people, but yes, I have a huge problem with people sending their kids out to trick and lie to people, tell me their way is the only one, or to come on my property to ask me personal questions about my religion and basically tell me I am going to hell.  I just wonder if anyone who does that realizes it doesn't make people come to that church, turns most people off unless they already go to church (perhaps even then), and that it isn't the safest thing to do anyway.

 

If coming to my door on false pretenses or to tell me I am wrong is the way that local churches need to operate to get people to come Sunday, then there is something wrong with their message.  I drive by many churches, can find numbers if I want to talk to someone or can come to a service, but I can assure you I would never visit a church where they send people to strangers' doors uninvited to talk about a personal subject like that.  Now THAT is rude in my opinion.  I have had my kids waiting for supper and work waiting while they were talking with me trying to be polite to them and them insisting I let them in to have a lesson or spread their opinions, and since I didn't ask them to come and they aren't coming in friendship, love, or legitimate need they have no business at my door.

 

So once again perspective gives the interpretation of rude and polite.

 

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix:
 

The last time they came to my door and said, "Is there anything we can do for you?", I asked if they would like to rake some leaves, and they took off like they were shot out of a gun.

---------------------------

I guess the 4th of july was a bad time to ask that. Jimi

 

.

Originally Posted by INVICTUS:
Originally Posted by JimiHendrix:
 

The last time they came to my door and said, "Is there anything we can do for you?", I asked if they would like to rake some leaves, and they took off like they were shot out of a gun.

---------------------------

I guess the 4th of july was a bad time to ask that. Jimi

 

.

Any time is a bad time. If want to be lied to, I can always come here.

quote:   Originally Posted by O No!:

Bill, there is more than one way to spread God's word.  And a LOT of them are much more effective than knocking on doors.

 

When someone comes into my shop and asks what brought me here, I say "God."  That will usually open a conversation, and without making them feel like I am invading their privacy.  Just read the responses on this thread.  NOBODY likes having strangers knock on their door and tell them they are d a m n e d.  But no one takes offense if I tell them about MY life, and MY experiences with my Lord.  That is called planting a seed, and I would be willing to bet that seeds planted that way take root and grow much more often than seeds planted at a stranger's door. 


Hi O,

 

You are right.  There are many ways to share the Word of God, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  And, that is why God has given all of us different gifts.  My gift is not being a pastor; but, is the gift of writing.   I love to share His Word in writing, in Bible studies, in Sunday Schools, etc.  Others have the gift of being a caregiver or some other supportive function.   Many share God while caring for a sick person or giving healing care and medication.  Personally, I could never be a doctor or nurse.

 

And, your gift may be nice to people who come into your shop.   That is wonderful.  I applaud you for sharing your gift.

 

Some have the gift of door knocking, street evangelism, etc.  Again, these are not my gifts -- but, I applaud those who do have this gift and who use them to God's glory.

 

Some years ago, I had to go to the Emergency Room.  Waiting in line to register, I noticed a young man standing behind me.  He was the perfect stereotype for a White Supremacist -- buzz cut hair, tattoos all over, muscle shirt, etc.. 

 

When we went to the waiting room, I took out my Bible to read -- and noticed that he had taken out a Bible to read.  Yet, when I looked at the hands holding his Bible -- I saw H - A - T - E tattooed on his fingers.

 

Later, when he and I were in the waiting room alone, I asked him, "The book you are reading says LOVE, yet your tattoos say HATE.  What is the story?"

 

He told me that he had, indeed, been a devout White Supremacist -- he and his whole family.  But, one day, on the street, a Christian walked up to him and began to witness to him.  That day, on the sidewalk, that White Supremacist became a Christian believer. 

 

He and I sat for hours talking, comparing our writings (he also liked to write Christian tracts), and discussing our faith.

 

Now, how many Christian believers have the nerve to walk up to a young man in his twenties, obviously a White Supremacist -- and witness to him?  I most likely would not have the nerve.  But, I praise God for that person who did!   That was his gift.  And, through his gift -- he glorified God.

 

So, yes, O, we are commanded by our Lord and Savior to Go, Make Disciples, Baptize Them, and Teach Them -- to be His witnesses to all the world.  But, we each do it with our unique gift or gifts God has given us.

 

However, while I should not criticize you for doing your witnessing in your shop -- neither should you criticize me for witnessing in my shop, my writing.   And, for others, their "shop" is door knocking, street evangelism -- or even Forum evangelism and apologetics.

 

We each are doing as He has told us.  So, we should be joining forces for His glory -- not bickering over who is doing it properly.

 

O, we are in the same family, the family of God.  Let's start working together for His glory, not challenging one another.  Let the door knockers do their thing, let the street evangelists do their thing, let the shop clerks and owners do their thing, and let those of us called to do apologetic writing on Forums do our thing.

 

Can you imagine how unsuccessful the University of Alabama football team would be if Nick Saban had fifty quarterbacks -- and nothing else?  No, the team is successful because Saban has the right mix of quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, offensive and defensive linemen and backs.  Diversity, excellence in their own gifts -- yet, working together -- is what makes a winning team for Alabama -- and, the same thing works when we use our diversity to win for our God.

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

Bill, you say: "O, we are in the same family, the family of God.  Let's start working together for His glory, not challenging one another."

 

I DIDN'T challenge you. I simply said that I agreed with everyone who said they didn't like having people knock on their doors. YOU were the one who challenged ME, calling me a "couch potato". I have told you before about the things that go on in my shop, so you know full well that I share God's word here every day.

 

See, that's what I mean when I tell you your approach turns people off to God. Instead of asking me HOW I share His word by example so we could discuss different ways to reach people, you immediately got a bit snarky with me. That was uncalled for.

 

You are right, we ARE on the same team. But very often instead of playing like a team, we get in each other's way, trip each other up, and the end result is that we fumble the ball. Kindness toward others is one of the keys to showing God's love. And yet, you and I are often unkind to each other. Let's both ask for His forgivness, and let's both seek His guidance so we can stop doing this. OK?

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:
Hi O,

Somehow, when Jesus told us in Matthew 28:19-20, to Go, Make Disciples, Baptize them, TEACH Them -- I do not see in there were He tells us to "just be good examples" and let folks watch you.   I get the feeling that when He said, "Go!" -- He meant, "Go!"

 

But, no, O No -- we are not commanded to be Couch Potato Christians -- but, believers who will Go, Make Disciples, Baptize Them, Teach Them -- and be His witnesses to all the world (Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15).  How are we going to do that sitting on our couch?

Bill

Bill, Jesus also said in Matthew 10:8 - Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, & cast out devils. Are you doing that?

 

 

quote:   Originally Posted by semiannualchick:
quote:   Originally Posted by Bill Gray:
Hi O,

Somehow, when Jesus told us in Matthew 28:19-20, to Go, Make Disciples, Baptize them, TEACH Them -- I do not see in there were He tells us to "just be good examples" and let folks watch you.   I get the feeling that when He said, "Go!" -- He meant, "Go!"

 

But, no, O No -- we are not commanded to be Couch Potato Christians -- but, believers who will Go, Make Disciples, Baptize Them, Teach Them -- and be His witnesses to all the world (Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15).  How are we going to do that sitting on our couch? Bill

Bill, Jesus also said in Matthew 10:8 - Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, & cast out devils. Are you doing that?
  
Hi Chick,

 

We read in Matthew 10:1, "Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness."

 

So, when He told them, in Matthew 10:8, "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. . . " -- He was speaking to them only and giving them only that authority to do these things at that time. 

 

He has given gifts to many people -- gifts of pastoring, teaching, healing, evangelizing, etc. -- to many folks.  And, we should each use the gift or gifts He has given us to glorify God.

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:
Bill, Jesus also said in Matthew 10:8 - Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, & cast out devils. Are you doing that?
  Hi Chick,

 

We read in Matthew 10:1, "Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness."

 

So, when He told them, in Matthew 10:8, "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. . . " -- He was speaking to them only and giving them only that authority to do these things at that time. 

 

He has given gifts to many people -- gifts of pastoring, teaching, healing, evangelizing, etc. -- to many folks.  And, we should each use the gift or gifts He has given us to glorify God.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------

Bill, I disagree that Jesus gave the power over unclean spirits, raise the dead

cure the sick, to the Apostles only. That power was to extend through the life

of the church. The trouble is, as generations passed, we became more distant

from the church. The very strong in faith and love of God carried this power

in the early years.

 

Jesus gave us an example of this when he walked on the water and how

Peter reacted. Peter displayed human nature and Jesus was saying

Rise above it.

 

The arrival of Jesus was at a time when the Jewish religion was so far

from what God wanted Jesus destroyed it and rebuilt it in three days.

Only some of the people followed what Jesus made new and those are

the ones they called Christian.

 

.

 

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post

×
×
×
×