and other public schools,  parents and students associated with those schools, and any others who really want to understand more of what is involved in the controversy over prayer at football games and in other controversial aspects of church/state relationships.

 

The link below is to a statement drafted by numerous representatives of religious organizations.  It is an initiative instigated by the Wake Forest University School of Divinity, a Baptist institution. One of the drafters of the document is Dr. Richard Land, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission  (ERLC), the moral and ethics concern entity of the Southern Baptist Convention. 

 

For those who really wish to understand the freedoms and limitations relative to religion in the public square, this is a very helpful tool.  For those who prefer instead to whine and whimper and complain about their freedom to pray being taken away, it probably will not be of any significant benefit.

 

 http://www.adl.org/religious_f...-Joint-Statement.pdf

I yam what I yam and that's all I yam--but it is enough!

Original Post

There have been some blogs and articles that have ridiculed Alabama and Christianity. I recently made a comment concerning the average intelligence anywhere--not just Alabama. This has been the interpretation of the law for years. I'm surprised that no one has called the school system on it before.

 

So, are these people stupid, out of touch, or just haven't thought it would come here? When I go to WalMart they charge me tax on a newspaper. That's illegal, but I've never complained. I doubt that management expects anyone to complain. Is that what the Lauderdale School Board expected? These 3500 Facebook members have, until now, been striving for the wrong thing. It would seem that one school board member and the page's admin are now gearing up for a legal battle on another front. It should be interesting.

 

Also, why are so many attorneys on the FB page? One has to wonder...

While reading your post something jumped out at me about what you said.
I have a question?  Have you ever bought a newspaper by it self to see if they are truly charging sales tax on it?
If so why didn't you say something at that time?
I go by a gas station every morning to get a paper on the way to work and they never charge me a tax on it...I think I'll go by walmart in the morning to see if your information is correct or if its a myth.  
 
Surely if walmart is taxing a non tax item there would be a FB page protesting it....right?
 
If not I will start one after I go and check out your information and then we can start talking about how much the schools stand to loose because walmart is reducing there sales tax revenue that is coming from the sale of newspapers.  I guess I need to go and buy more paper for my kids homework to be copied on if they loose that tax revenue.
Originally Posted by FirenzeVeritas:

 When I go to WalMart they charge me tax on a newspaper. That's illegal, but I've never complained. I doubt that management expects anyone to complain.

Originally Posted by dhsc/o98:
While reading your post something jumped out at me about what you said.
I have a question?  Have you ever bought a newspaper by it self to see if they are truly charging sales tax on it?
If so why didn't you say something at that time?
I go by a gas station every morning to get a paper on the way to work and they never charge me a tax on it...I think I'll go by walmart in the morning to see if your information is correct or if its a myth.  
 
Surely if walmart is taxing a non tax item there would be a FB page protesting it....right?
 
If not I will start one after I go and check out your information and then we can start talking about how much the schools stand to loose because walmart is reducing there sales tax revenue that is coming from the sale of newspapers.  I guess I need to go and buy more paper for my kids homework to be copied on if they loose that tax revenue.
Originally Posted by FirenzeVeritas:

 When I go to WalMart they charge me tax on a newspaper. That's illegal, but I've never complained. I doubt that management expects anyone to complain.


Maybe you should have stocked up on the "tax free" day you get for buying school supplies.

It's not only WalMart, it's the Kangaroo, at least the one on Nathan Blvd. I purchased one there yesterday and was charged .55.  Since I was in a hurry, I said nothing, but grimaced. Obviously the registers are not set up correctly (at least at WalMart). I worked at a mini-mart while in nursing school and know they can be. It's rather like when Jack's doesn't hand back the right change. Do you just think "let them keep the nickel" or do you sit in the drive-thru and protest over five cents?

 

So, yes, I'm sure many people knew that the SC would not look kindly on public prayer at ballgames, but they never said anything. I wonder why Condendah did not, if it bothered him so much.

Correct me If I percieve thing wrong, but it seem to me that the same people that don't want prayer at school events because it's illegal are the same people that think it's horrendous that illegal immigrants

are not welcome in Alabama. I guess I need the new liberal definition of illegal.

Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper:

Correct me If I percieve thing wrong, but it seem to me that the same people that don't want prayer at school events because it's illegal are the same people that think it's horrendous that illegal immigrants

are not welcome in Alabama. I guess I need the new liberal definition of illegal

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

How do you come to that conclusion? Illegal is illegal no matter who is doing the act.

 

Hi all,

 

What I just posted on Facebook I believe is very applicable here:

 

Hi Morris,  My classmate, Shirley M., commented to me about the school superintendent giving in to the atheists' demands.  My response to her was:

Hi Shirley, As so often happens, school officials will fold and run instead of standing for what is right.  Some do this to avoid the expense of a legal fight with the ACLU.  Although, if they really want to fight the injustice there are several good legal organizations which will help them.  One is the Alliance Defense Fund, and there are others.  The school officials should take advantage of this free service.

On the other hand, I believe that some school officials give in while pretending to be the side of Christianity -- yet, are really sympathetic to the non-Christian cause.  I know for a fact that the Florence School Board has at least one devout atheist on it.  He and I have done battle on the TimesDaily Religion Forum for years.  Matter of fact, it was atheists like him who were the reason I joined the Religion Forum in 2007.

But, I am very proud of my home town folks for taking this stand against atheism and the ACLU -- even if the school officials did fold and run. "We the people" did not fold and run -- and that is a victory.   God bless, Bill

 

As Forrest Gump so wisely said, "And, that's all I have to say about that!"

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

1 - Bible-Declaration-USFlag_1a_TEXT

Attachments

Photos (1)
Originally Posted by Bestworking:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper:

Correct me If I percieve thing wrong, but it seem to me that the same people that don't want prayer at school events because it's illegal are the same people that think it's horrendous that illegal immigrants

are not welcome in Alabama. I guess I need the new liberal definition of illegal

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

How do you come to that conclusion? Illegal is illegal no matter who is doing the act.

 

=================================

best, again, prayer at school is not illegal. If you think there is a law against it bring it forth.

There is no such law.

As Forrest Gump so wisely said, "And, that's all I have to say about that!"

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Did you tell them you didn't care enough about "your home town to bother living there"? Yep, bill and forrest gump, perfect duo. By the way bill, what victory? LOL!!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi all,

 

What I just posted on Facebook I believe is very applicable here:

 

Hi Morris,  My classmate, Shirley M., commented to me about the school superintendent giving in to the atheists' demands.  My response to her was:

Hi Shirley, As so often happens, school officials will fold and run instead of standing for what is right.  Some do this to avoid the expense of a legal fight with the ACLU.  Although, if they really want to fight the injustice there are several good legal organizations which will help them.  One is the Alliance Defense Fund, and there are others.  The school officials should take advantage of this free service.

On the other hand, I believe that some school officials give in while pretending to be the side of Christianity -- yet, are really sympathetic to the non-Christian cause.  I know for a fact that the Florence School Board has at least one devout atheist on it.  He and I have done battle on the TimesDaily Religion Forum for years.  Matter of fact, it was atheists like him who were the reason I joined the Religion Forum in 2007.

But, I am very proud of my home town folks for taking this stand against atheism and the ACLU -- even if the school officials did fold and run. "We the people" did not fold and run -- and that is a victory.   God bless, Bill

 

As Forrest Gump so wisely said, "And, that's all I have to say about that!"

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

1 - Bible-Declaration-USFlag_1a_TEXT

______________________

 

Why do you keep bringing up the ACLU? This is not the first time I have seen you bring them into this situation. It was the FFRF (Freedom From Religion Foundation) that filed the complaint on behalf of Mr. Green. You are as confused about who is involved in this issue as you are about our Constitution.

DarkAngel, it should be no surprise that Bill can not distinguish between the ACLU and the FFRF. Bill sees the world in black and white, with those who find any reason to object to government-directed school prayer on the side of Satan and his demons and those who favor it as the true children of God. To Bill, the enemy blurs into an indistinguishable amalgam of liberals, heretics, atheists, non-premillennialists, and others who find any reason to disagree with Bill's pet doctrinal biases.

I would like to know what Bill thinks an atheist on the Florence school board could do. My kids go to Florence schools and are happy there. Does one atheist on the board affect their lives? Fill me in. If he runs again, will people campaign against him because he's an atheist or because they can do a better job? It's really kinda scary.

Add Reply

Likes (0)

×
×
×
×