Bama:
That is Catfish Hotel...was just there last week. The Catfish is still hot, plentiful, and worth the drive. It is located on the north end of Shiloh Battlegrounds, next to the river...I listed directions on the old restaurant Talk Forum about page 12-14...The time to drive there is just a little over an hour...I don't like there slaw, so for my taste, I always get the salad...
If you have a craven for Steak...they ain't no slouch with them either...They serve beer, but no wine or liquor.
Dot's Soul Food, Hillsboro, AL (HWy 20 between Courtland and Decatur). Only open for lunch Tuesday-Friday 11-5 and Sunday 11-5. Worth the trip. Best fried chicken you will ever find. It is a meat and 2 veg + tea for $5.25. Worth every dime. If you can, save room for dessert.
E & E'S FOOD AND SPIRITS IN WAYNESBOROUGH TN. HAS A GOOD VARITY OF DISHES. THIS IS A MOM AND POP ESTABLISHMENT, AND I PROMISE THEY DO ALL OF THE PREP. AND COOKED RIGHT ON SITE. IS ON US 64 ONE MILE WEST OF NATCHES TRACE. WHEN YOU TAKE THAT TRIP ON YHE TRACE STOP BY AND TELL THEM A C SENT YOU.
The All-Steak in Cullman is one of my absolute favorite places. The Chicken Oscar is fabulous and those orange rolls are divine. You can even get some to go. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's worth the drive, but if you're passing through sometime, definitely try it. It's right downtown on Hwy 31 at the top of a bank.
In Birmingham:
  • For a really special night out, Ocean or Hot and Hot Fish Club.
  • Ali Baba near the Galleria is a WONDERFUL Persian restaurant. The food is exquisite and they usually have belly dancing at least once a week.
  • Surin West for Thai and sushi.
  • Pho Que Houng in Homewood for great Vietnamese.
  • Taj India has an awesome buffet.
  • Giuseppe's or New York Pizza have the best pizzas.
  • Los Amigos or Sabor Tropical for Mexican.
  • The Original Pancake House has AMAZING breakfasts.


      In Memphis:
    • Blue Plate, Bosco's, or Juniper's for brunch.
    • Huey's for great burgers.
    • Young Avenue Deli for unique sandwiches and great music.
    • Sekisui for Japanese. Gotta love sushi boats.
    • Bayou Bar & Grill for cajun.
    • Zinnie's has yummy food and homemade ice cream.
    • El Porton or Cafe Ole for Mexican.
    • Celtic Crossing has great Irish soda bread, etc.
    • Pho Saigon or Pho Hoa Binh for great soup.
    • India Palace has the best Indian buffet and great service.


    I love food =)
  • GreenLake888
    I travel to Memphis quite a bit...Thanks for the list...as I will be trying several of those...
    I found for a unique steak adventure...the Butcher Block either downtown or in GermanTown makes a fun night out...I love Sushi so I will be hitting them next week.
    I lived in Birmingham for several years and I agree with your opinion on a lot of those you listed...especially Surin West...
    quote:
    Originally posted by traderconnections:
    Bama:
    That is Catfish Hotel...was just there last week. The Catfish is still hot, plentiful, and worth the drive. It is located on the north end of Shiloh Battlegrounds, next to the river...I listed directions on the old restaurant Talk Forum about page 12-14...The time to drive there is just a little over an hour...I don't like there slaw, so for my taste, I always get the salad...
    If you have a craven for Steak...they ain't no slouch with them either...They serve beer, but no wine or liquor.

    LOL, ok thanks... They used to sevre beer in a pitcher,... i must have looked at the sign wrong,... after the beer of course, but thats the place,.... we used to turn by an old ferris wheel to get there.
    Also on the way to Nashville on I-65, near Franklin, I think,... there was a place on the left if traveling north, called Uncle Buds... great food, real rustic on the inside and you could even swap caps if youre wearing one. They had dozens of caps thumbtacked to the walls and also had a kiddie package for the kids.... and you could feed the ducks in their pond...
    Bama:
    It was called Uncle Bud's Catfish and Such...
    Great place to eat...served all the catfish and chicken you could eat...
    They have shut down I was told...I do some contractual work in the city of Franklin and Williamson County...I will be headed that way Tuesday...will let you know if the rumor, they are no more is true...
    quote:
    Originally posted by traderconnections:
    Bama:
    It was called Uncle Bud's Catfish and Such...
    Great place to eat...served all the catfish and chicken you could eat...
    They have shut down I was told...I do some contractual work in the city of Franklin and Williamson County...I will be headed that way Tuesday...will let you know if the rumor, they are no more is true...

    Thanks,..... cause i may be going up that way in a couple of weeks
    OK ... so I travel a whole lot and have one you have to try when going through North Atlanta area. It is called the OK Cafe and is near the HUGE brown brick chuch just inside 285 when going south on I75 -- Sorry I don't remember the exit name.

    This is good ole country cooking at its best. The "pot roast" is absolutely the best I have ever had including my wife's, mother's, grandmother's, mother-in-law's and gay brother-in-law's!!! It is absolutely THAT good.

    Atlanta area -- OK CAFE ... just allow for a little wait time if you go around peak meal times.
    Got another for you ...

    South of Atlanta, GA at Exit #202 (or right around there)... the place is called Buckner's. It is AMAZING.

    Country cookin' complete with the Lazy Susan, fried chicken, butter beans, corn on the cob ... well ... you get it.

    You will thank me if you stop and try this one!!!
    CHATTANOOGA ...

    1.) Upscale ... either Jay Alexanders at Hamilton Place Mall OR Southside Grill -- which is probably the best food in Chattanooga but somewhat pricey.

    2.) Mid-range ... Famous Daves is very good. Bonefish Grill on Gunbarrel Road is very good seafood as well.

    3.) Casual Dining ... Countryside Cafe - its country cooking and homemade pies and you gotta work to get there but very, very good. GollyWhoppers around East Brainerd good sandwiches and soups. For BBQ only two matter ... both Smokey's on East Brainerd Road and Rib-n-Loin at any location are killer.

    Overall, Chattanooga has much to offer!
    Just Heard About The New Restaurant
    That has taken Memphis by storm...its call the Texas De Brazil, a Brazilian Steak House ...it is located near the Peabody Hotel, downtown...
    The concept is you pay one price...the waiters and waitresses walk around with different styles of meat on skewers..lamb, Pork, Beef,Sausages, cooked Brazilian style etc.. Yep! its a all you can eat joint, on the high end scale... Prices for lunch $19.99 per, Sunday Brunch $34.00 per, and Dinner $50.00 Per.
    Their web site is texasdebrazil.com ...now! that is a real good road trip...
    quote:
    Originally posted by traderconnections:
    Just Heard About The New Restaurant
    That has taken Memphis by storm...its call the Texas De Brazil, a Brazilian Steak House ...it is located near the Peabody Hotel, downtown...
    The concept is you pay one price...the waiters and waitresses walk around with different styles of meat on skewers..lamb, Pork,
    Beef,Sausages, cooked Brazilian style etc.. Yep! its a all you can eat joint, on the high end scale... Prices for lunch $19.99 per, Sunday Brunch $34.00 per, and Dinner $50.00 Per.
    Their web site is texasdebrazil.com ...now!
    that is a real good road trip...

    I have walked by there many times but have never been inside.
    quote:
    Originally posted by traderconnections:
    Bama:
    That is Catfish Hotel...was just there last week. The Catfish is still hot, plentiful, and worth the drive. It is located on the north end of Shiloh Battlegrounds, next to the river...I listed directions on the old restaurant Talk Forum about page 12-14...The time to drive there is just a little over an hour...I don't like there slaw, so for my taste, I always get the salad...
    If you have a craven for Steak...they ain't no slouch with them either...They serve beer, but no wine or liquor.

    -----------------------------------------------
    There was a place called "Bill Bellos Botel" which was an old quarterboat tied off on the bank of the Tenn River just below Pickwick dam. He is correct in that when Bill ran it, it was absolutely the best catfish/hushpuppys/slaw anywhere. Period. Ms. Bellos made hushpuppys that were so light if you threw one, it would just drift across the room. They are still my standard, but havent found any place like it since.
    Don't know what the status is now, I'm sure Bill has retired.
    THe Country Squire in Iuka is very good tho.

    Add Reply

    Likes (0)
    Post

    ×
    ×
    ×
    ×