Through history, as natural selection played its part in the development of modern man, many of the useful functions and parts of the human body become unnecessary. What is most fascinating is that many of these parts of the body still remain in some form so we can see the progress of evolution. This list covers the ten most significant evolutionary changes that have taken place – leaving signs behind them.

10
Goose Bumps
Cutis Anserina
 

Gaensehaut

Humans get goose bumps when they are cold, frightened, angry, or in awe. Many other creatures get goose bumps for the same reason, for example this is why a cat or dog’s hair stands on end and the cause behind a porcupine’s quills raising. In cold situations, the rising hair traps air between the hairs and skin, creating insulation and warmth. In response to fear, goose bumps make an animal appear larger – hopefully scaring away the enemy. Humans no longer benefit from goose bumps and they are simply left over from our past when we were not clothed and needed to scare our own natural enemies. Natural selection removed the thickhair but left behind the mechanism for controlling it.

9
Jacobson’s Organ
Vomeronasal organ
 

Gray51

Jacobson’s organ is a fascinating part of animal anatomy and it tells us a lot about our own sexual history. The organ is in the nose and it is a special “smell” organ which detects pheromones (the chemical that triggers sexual desire, alarm, or information about food trails). It is this organ that allows some animals to track others for sex and to know of potential dangers. Humans are born with the Jacobson’s organ, but in early development its abilities dwindle to a point that it is useless. Once upon a time, humans would have used this organ to locate mates when communication was not possible. Single’s evenings, chat rooms, and bars have now taken its place in the process of human mate-seeking.

8
Junk DNA
L-gulonolactone oxidase
 

Stone72-Fig3

While many of the hangovers from our “devolved” past are visible or physical, this is not true for all. Humans have structures in their genetic make-up that were once used to produces enzymes to process vitamin C (it is called L-gulonolactone oxidase). Most other animals have this functioning DNA but at some point in our history, a mutation disbled the gene – whilst leaving behind its remnants as junk DNA. This particular junk DNA indicates a common ancestry with other species on earth, so it is particularly interesting.

7
Extra Ear Muscles
Auriculares muscles
 

Gray906

Also known as the extrinsic ear muscles, the auriculares muscles are used by animals to swivel and manipulate their ears (independently of their head) in order to focus their hearing on particular sounds. Humans still have the muscles that we would once have used for the very same reason – but our muscles are now so feeble that all they can do is give our ears a little wiggle. The use of these muscles in cats is very visible (as they can nearly turn their ears completely backwards) – particularly when they are stalking a bird and need to make the smallest movements possible so as to not frighten its future meal.

6
Plantaris Muscle
 
 

Gray1242

The plantaris muscle is used by animals in gripping and manipulating objects with their feet – something you see with apes who seem to be able to use their feet as well as their hands. Humans have this muscle as well, but it is now so underdeveloped that it is often taken out by doctors when they need tissue for reconstruction in other parts of the body. The muscle is so unimportant to the human body that 9% of humans are now born without it.

 
 

 http://listverse.com/2009/01/0...ution-in-modern-man/ <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Original Post

Hi all,

 

Using this logic: Apes have body hair. Atheists have body hair. Therefore, all atheists are apes.

 

Sounds like evolution to me!

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Using bill's "logic" christians are hairless?

 

 

Originally Posted by lexum:

It would seem I have found a “hate religion forum” instead of a religious forum. Am I correct in assuming that?


I've been saying this...good luck having a reasonable conversation here without it becoming insults and name-calling..sigh.  Welcome, though! 

I do think the goose bumps still serve an important purpose, though.  They still serve to warn us of impending trouble if we pay attention to them, but we often teach kids to ignore their instinct, unfortunately.  I definitely pay attention them.

Originally Posted by Bill Gray:

Hi all,

 

Using this logic:   Apes have body hair.  Atheists have body hair.  Therefore, all atheists are apes. 

 

Sounds like evolution to me!

 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

 

Bill

Ape-Scratching-Head_Animated


Feel better now?  You got your little dig in for the day.  So now can we have polite conversations?

Mr. Dittohead, would you say us humans are getting betterer or worserer given the fact we are having ‘goose bumps’ over this atheist infestation here on the religious forum.

Maybe I need to quote a few scriptures.

Any agreement with that?

I've been saying this...good luck having a reasonable conversation here without it becoming insults and name-calling..sigh. Welcome, though!

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Name calling? Where? And the one you are wishing luck is most likely a new name for one of the most vile posters ever to hit this forum.

Originally Posted by Bestworking:

I've been saying this...good luck having a reasonable conversation here without it becoming insults and name-calling..sigh. Welcome, though!

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Name calling? Where? And the one you are wishing luck is most likely a new name for one of the most vile posters ever to hit this forum.


I have no idea who is who and really if this is a vile person I'm sure that will surface.  I can't keep up with name-changing and re-registering and so I'll depend on what a person says...only way I can make it..lol.

 

You really haven't seen name-calling in this forum?  Seriously?  

Originally Posted by lexum:

I certainly hope not to see name calling.

Well lexum, it usually works out that once someone disagrees with 'you', 'you' start name calling. That is a universal 'you', not a personal one.

The more someone is rooted in their belief, the more the names fly.

Or you can go to politics and see it in every post.

Or misc and see people who just dislike each other.

Forums are just a way to tick off someone.

B50m you seem to be a man of wisdom. Thanks for your insight. I’m one of those who has strong beliefs but they are based on careful study of the subject. If someone wants to change them they are welcome but it cannot be based on anything other than careful study.

B50m I fail to see anything in my posts that leads you to believe they came from another forum and to infer that I am stupid. When I signed on here I agreed to certain rules. I would think you did the same and to call me stupid just because I’m a newbie is in violation of those rules.

Originally Posted by b50m:

Not wisdom, just observation of forums.

 

You will find that most people HATE when something from another forum is brought over.  Really stupid, don't you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lexum, I fail to see anything in this post that implies you are intellectually lacking. I think B50's point is that it is stupid to bring differences from another forum over to this one.

Originally Posted by lexum:

B50m I fail to see anything in my posts that leads you to believe they came from another forum and to infer that I am stupid. When I signed on here I agreed to certain rules. I would think you did the same and to call me stupid just because I’m a newbie is in violation of those rules.

I never said you did post anything. I said people hate when someone posts things from another forum. I also said when people do that it would be stupid, agree?

 

Seems to me you have a guilty conscience..

Originally Posted by FirenzeVeritas:

       
Originally Posted by DarkAngel:

And he is back......oh well, it was nice while it lasted. Hey Ramm!

 

At least he hasn't quoted Dr. Pololovshovokosky yet...



Just give him time. This is his lay low period where he tries to establish himself as a nice newbie who is new to this forum so hopefully he'll blend in with the scenery. Problem is we've all seen him do this so many times we all know him as soon as he comes back on here.

Is it a coincidence his first post is to an evolution thread? I think not. He'll show his true colors soon enough.
Originally Posted by lexum:

B50m I fail to see anything in my posts that leads you to believe they came from another forum and to infer that I am stupid. When I signed on here I agreed to certain rules. I would think you did the same and to call me stupid just because I’m a newbie is in violation of those rules.

_____________________________

Just exactly where did B say you were stupid?? It's amazing how words are turned around on this forum.

 

BTW, we all know about those certain rules & the violation of them, but for some people, they don't apply.

 

Add Reply

Likes (0)

×
×
×
×